Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page In Utero Appreciation thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.27.2013, 07:50 AM   #181
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
^^^this document above is priceless! Is this REAL? Where the fuck was that found?
Old 09.27.2013, 07:54 AM   #182
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
"I would like to be paid like a plumber"
Old 09.27.2013, 10:07 AM   #183
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
That is why I love the guy. Everybody was trying to cash in on the Nirvana meal ticket, and Steve was just trying to help them make an epic record. I've always loved Albini for this, the guy is again the anti-corporate corporate anti-hero. He has straddled the mainstream, indeed, engineered and/or produced some of the best indy-to-mainstream records of all time, and yet, entirely lacks the pretentious greed of so many music industry slimeballs.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2013, 07:12 PM   #184
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
While on an Albini discussion, I just want to throw in that when I met him and talked to him for a little bit at a Shellac show back in 2011, he was an unbelievably nice guy and really mellow to chat with.

Only listened to the 2013 mix a bit, but it's pretty sweet on what it could have sounded like.

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2013, 08:10 PM   #185
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
anyway?, who's heard the remastered Live and Loud? my VHS sounds better i think. more bass and grit. i taped it on New Years Eve and watched it with my mom. lol

That is good to hear, because I almost was interested in buying this box set basically just for that DVD.. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
It we assume three million sales, that works out to 400,000 dollars or so. There's no fuckin way I would ever take that much money. I wouldn't be able to sleep. How much you chose to pay me will not affect my enthusiasm for the record."
Damn I love this dude. He is not just my favorite recordist, and the engineer on literally like five of my all time favorite records, but the guy is sincerely one of my favorite people, just for being himself. This letter should rise to the ranks alongside the now infamous The Problem With Music, his prank phone call to Eddie Vedder (Steve Albini, pretending to be Bowie/T. Rex producer Tony Visconti, in a prank call to Eddie Vedder: “Your voice really speaks to me, I can get you in a real band to do some recording,” Azerrad, “Vedder bought it”), and his rap feud with Odd Future

here is another gem

Quote:
5. On recording Nirvana's In Utero
Q: What happened when you were helping to produce Nirvana's In Utero? Didn't they decide to go with someone else on the singles?
Albini: Long story, but basically the standard protocol for a big record company at the time was for players in the industry to try to claim authorship of a successful record somehow -- this guy did the A&R, this guy did the legal, this guy was the producer, this guy remixed it -- so credit for success stayed within the industry and players could use it as professional capital. Nirvana made a record by themselves, outside all that influence, and it made everybody inside uncomfortable enough to try to derail it and get them to do it over. Additionally, it's normal for any band to have some slight misgivings about their record once it's in the can, everybody does. The label put pressure on the band, partially using me as a publicity scapegoat, to get them to do the record over, and that coupled with their natural uncertainty eventually created enough doubt that they re-mixed a couple of songs.
I know the label was directly involved with blaming me because I got more than one call from music journalists who said, "I just got off the phone with Gary Gersh and he says the Nirvana album is un-releasable and it's your fault."
The record that made it into the stores is the one Nirvana wanted you to hear, and I'm content with that. I have no beef with Nirvana, they were a normal bunch of guys under extraordinary stress and they behaved normally. All the motherfuckers around them, all their functionaries and managers and label parasites, those petty little people who fucked with them to preserve their positions within the industry, fuck every last one of them.

Old 09.27.2013, 10:17 PM   #186
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Here is another lost gem recorded by Steve Albini. What is fantastic, is that the Geffen "people" involved with In Utero were right , Albini's mixes for bands are often "unreleasable" in the most popular, commercial sense, but in the raw, guttural, wrenching sense, they are priceless. Albums like In Utero, Shannon Wright's Over the Sun, Pussy Galore's Dial M For Motherfucker, Tad's God's Balls, Superchunk's No Pocket For Kitty, obviously the Jesus Lizard's Goat, Helmet's Meantime, P.J. Harvey's Rid of Me, Hubcap's Those Kids Are Weirder, Left Over Crack's Fuck World Trade, Godspead You Black Emperor's Yanqui UXO, F-Minus' "Wake Up Screaming", The Desert Fathers "The Spirtuality", The Ex's "Turn", Ferocious Fucking Teeth's Ferocious Fucking Teeth S/T, The Strain's Teeth...

these record are not commercially marketable, but they are epic records for that crisp, loud, guitar feedback, drum oriented sound which ONLY Steve can seem to properly capture.

I think Shannon Wright's Over the Sun, Nirvana's In Utero, P.J Harvey's Rid of Me, Jesus Lizard's Goat, and Pixies Surfer Rosa is a legendary enough discography by itself and are his best work, in fact some of the best albums of all time, let alone all the other great albums and bands he's worked with..

Old 09.28.2013, 01:25 AM   #187
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Bold statement!

i meant it. they fucking went hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIOEgR251To
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2013, 02:26 AM   #188
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
i dont get how pearl jam fans find shit in nirvana beyond the 'YO SEATTLE, GOLDEN AGE OF ROCK PT. 2" shit. sounds like a singer-songwriter jesus lizard/cows

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2013, 02:28 AM   #189
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Here is another Albums like In Utero, Shannon Wright's Over the Sun, Pussy Galore's Dial M For Motherfucker, Tad's God's Balls, Superchunk's No Pocket For Kitty, obviously the Jesus Lizard's Goat, Helmet's Meantime, P.J. Harvey's Rid of Me, Hubcap's Those Kids Are Weirder, Left Over Crack's Fuck World Trade, Godspead You Black Emperor's Yanqui UXO, F-Minus' "Wake Up Screaming", The Desert Fathers "The Spirtuality", The Ex's "Turn", Ferocious Fucking Teeth's Ferocious Fucking Teeth S/T, The Strain's Teeth...

do not forget tar's jackson under any means. best albizzz production

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2013, 03:53 PM   #190
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
my favourite song on in utero is 'its shoved'.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2013, 03:54 PM   #191
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Here is another lost gem recorded by Steve Albini. What is fantastic, is that the Geffen "people" involved with In Utero were right , Albini's mixes for bands are often "unreleasable" in the most popular, commercial sense, but in the raw, guttural, wrenching sense, they are priceless. Albums like In Utero, Shannon Wright's Over the Sun, Pussy Galore's Dial M For Motherfucker, Tad's God's Balls, Superchunk's No Pocket For Kitty, obviously the Jesus Lizard's Goat, Helmet's Meantime, P.J. Harvey's Rid of Me, Hubcap's Those Kids Are Weirder, Left Over Crack's Fuck World Trade, Godspead You Black Emperor's Yanqui UXO, F-Minus' "Wake Up Screaming", The Desert Fathers "The Spirtuality", The Ex's "Turn", Ferocious Fucking Teeth's Ferocious Fucking Teeth S/T, The Strain's Teeth...

these record are not commercially marketable, but they are epic records for that crisp, loud, guitar feedback, drum oriented sound which ONLY Steve can seem to properly capture.

I think Shannon Wright's Over the Sun, Nirvana's In Utero, P.J Harvey's Rid of Me, Jesus Lizard's Goat, and Pixies Surfer Rosa is a legendary enough discography by itself and are his best work, in fact some of the best albums of all time, let alone all the other great albums and bands he's worked with..

hell yes.

that right there is a legacy of music that few others could hope to match,,

fuck glice.
Old 09.28.2013, 03:59 PM   #192
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

behemoth
Old 09.28.2013, 04:08 PM   #193
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

nothing to it
Old 09.30.2013, 06:26 AM   #194
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
The new masters uncover layers of sonic awesomeness that were, until now, buried in pop production. Minimal though it may have been, the pop element chopped In Utero off at the foreskin. I'm glad we're all getting a chance to hear the album for the first time again.

Probably one of the boldest, most powerful, most challenging, and hardest rocking albums ever made. I prefer the 2013 mix to Albini's original. I'm going to have to purchase the whole goddamn box ....

Sorry- someone drove by, blasting the instantly recognizable riff from "School" (live) and I had to take it in.

Anyway, I'm 'bout to spend a hundred bucks on a shit ton of (relatively... Kind of) new Nirvana.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2013, 05:28 PM   #195
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
kurdt is just a kenny loggins wannabe

keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2013, 04:40 PM   #196
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
i got it. changed my mind. the Live and Loud concert sounds great!!!! so glad to see the unaired songs.

and the 2013 mix?!?! OMGawd!!!

Live and Loud was released independently, I'm SOOOOOO buying it. Also, they released this disc not just as that exorbitant box set, but a $19.99 double disc. I'm now wondering, why even buy the box set when you can get the reissue and DVD for under $50 buying them individually? Really though, I'm not sure there is a need for another Albini mix aside from the Scott Litt tracks?? I listened to some samples and it just sounds a bit louder, and the vocals are a bit more pronounced, but I'm not sure its "better" but i haven't been just sitting and listening to it so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krist
"Well, we figured out how to sell records in the digital age," he jokes. "What you do is, you put a package together with nice paper and photographs, you find some closet treasures and dig deep in the vaults and include that. You put a live show in there and the Nirvana fans seem to love it. People will trade bootlegs, they'll download songs and concerts and things, and so, these kinds of packages are for the Nirvana fans out there.

"This'll probably be the last one. It's the 20-year In Utero anniversary and it was the last Nirvana record. We're not gonna do the 25th year. Maybe I'll be around for the 50th anniversary."

That is called the Radiohead strategy.
They always release box-sets with strategic art work, remixes, and DVDs, and EVEN when they GAVE their record away with In Rainbows, they STILL sold out their $100 box set and had backorders up the ass.
Also, if I were to take a wild guess, after reading some comments by Krist about his motivation to make the remix of this record, I think he is not telling the whole story. On the last box set With the Lights Out the track list was purposefully arranged to dick Krist and Dave out of any money. If Krist is involved with Steve on the remixing, does he get a different cut of the 2013 Mix release? If so, is THAT really the motivation to release this, to let Krist finally get some of that Nirvana money that Courtney and her Army of Darkness Lawyers have been so painfully denying him. I certainly hope so, I could really get behind that.

Old 10.05.2013, 04:53 PM   #197
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I can't bring myself to get into this album. I loved the original back in high school but just can't get psyched about it.
Old 10.05.2013, 05:03 PM   #198
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Does Steve Albini give the most boring interviews ever??

Old 10.06.2013, 10:33 AM   #199
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Well you know some insanely great audio engineers aren't also show biz types. The human mind just doesn't work that way.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth