Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.19.2018, 03:25 PM   #22321
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Finally watched ALIEN COVENANT, and maybe because I thought it would suck, I actually sorta liked it.

hey I thought Covenant was plenty enjoyable honestly. It felt like it was sort of a Blade Runner-y take on the Prometheus stuff, and worked as a neat bridge between Prometheus and Alien.

Granted, Alien (and Predator, and Blade Runner) is one of my fav franchises ever so I'm a total geek/apologist for this stuff. But still, I really liked it.
Old 03.19.2018, 10:32 PM   #22322
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
hey I thought Covenant was plenty enjoyable honestly. It felt like it was sort of a Blade Runner-y take on the Prometheus stuff, and worked as a neat bridge between Prometheus and Alien.

Granted, Alien (and Predator, and Blade Runner) is one of my fav franchises ever so I'm a total geek/apologist for this stuff. But still, I really liked it.

Don’t lump Blade Runner together with any Alien other than Alien and maybe Prometheus. Please.

ACTUALLY... have you read some of the fan theories that the two movies (original Alien and BR) exist in the same universe? Interesting, right?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2018, 11:39 PM   #22323
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Revenge of the Nerds 3.
Old 03.20.2018, 12:55 AM   #22324
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
I thought Alien: Covenant was fun, but confusing. It doesn't really feel like it quite belongs with the other alien movies though.
Also it lacks Sigourney Weaver.
Old 03.20.2018, 04:15 AM   #22325
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
btw i think di caprio worked much better in both “wolf of wall street” (great) and “the aviator” where you could actually believe his face was that of the character. here... really hard to see him as a street tough.

The 1st time I really thought DiCaprio was believable in a tough/grownup role was in The Departed. Not a great film (but better than some say) it was the one, though, where I think I finally 'got' the whole DiCaprio thing.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2018, 07:58 AM   #22326
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Don’t lump Blade Runner together with any Alien other than Alien and maybe Prometheus. Please.

ACTUALLY... have you read some of the fan theories that the two movies (original Alien and BR) exist in the same universe? Interesting, right?

They're not really fan theories given that Scott basically confirmed.

But uh yeah, I probably didn't make it clear how geeky I am about these franchises and how much time I've spent/wasted reading about connections.

Put it this way, I'm the guy who bought Soldier on DVD because of the BR connection.

EDIT: I'm geeky enough about this to have this sitting in my Google Drive...

Quote:
1987 Predator
1997 Predator 2
2004 Alien Vs. Predator, Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem
2010 Predators
2019 Blade Runner
2035 Soldier
2049 Blade Runner 2049
2091 Prometheus
2104 Alien: Covenant
2122 Alien
2179 Aliens, Aliens 3
2379 Alien: Resurrection

I mean there's even a scene/dialogue in Covenant that clearly echoes a scene/dialogue in the original BR.

IDGAF. I expect a full long thing about how this is all just fan theory and whatever and I'm wrong. But... I don't care.
Old 03.20.2018, 03:42 PM   #22327
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Prometheus is the stupidest movie ever. http://www.movieplotholes.com/prometheus.html
Old 03.20.2018, 03:53 PM   #22328
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I promise you there are much "stupider" movies than Prometheus.
Old 03.20.2018, 04:10 PM   #22329
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
The 1st time I really thought DiCaprio was believable in a tough/grownup role was in The Departed. Not a great film (but better than some say) it was the one, though, where I think I finally 'got' the whole DiCaprio thing.
ah right. i dont remember him in that movie. i remember the other guy who looks like marky mark. matt damon? or was it marky fucking mark? those 2 look the same. but yeah, i barely recall the departed. for some reason that’s another scorsese movie i didn’t like much, like the story was too obvious? or something. vera farmiga was in it i think? and i vaguely remember i hated her character...

i think i once saw the chinese original version and liked it better, actually. but can’t remember a lot of that either.

hmm...

man. what’s wrong ith me. i’m a difficult customer.

maybe i should give it a second look, ha ha ha. would come handy but i remember very little except for the basic infiltration plot.

so lionardo was the counterpart to matt damon?

i’ll check it out
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2018, 09:34 PM   #22330
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
They're not really fan theories given that Scott basically confirmed.

But uh yeah, I probably didn't make it clear how geeky I am about these franchises and how much time I've spent/wasted reading about connections.

Put it this way, I'm the guy who bought Soldier on DVD because of the BR connection.

EDIT: I'm geeky enough about this to have this sitting in my Google Drive...

I mean there's even a scene/dialogue in Covenant that clearly echoes a scene/dialogue in the original BR.

IDGAF. I expect a full long thing about how this is all just fan theory and whatever and I'm wrong. But... I don't care.

No, you’re right. I haven’t gone into the rabbit hole, but I think it’s confirmed. I read that Scott said that, and the Tyrell corporation is referenced by name in Alien DVD. They run the same software, etc.

But I didn’t know you were so into BR. That’s, like, my fave franchise ever. We should geek out about it!

(Either BR or Nolan’s Dark Knight of course)
Old 03.20.2018, 09:35 PM   #22331
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Prometheus is the stupidest movie ever. http://www.movieplotholes.com/prometheus.html

NO YOU ARE STUPID!!
Old 03.20.2018, 10:01 PM   #22332
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
NO YOU ARE STUPID!!

NO! I'M STUPID! Wait? what?
Old 03.20.2018, 10:05 PM   #22333
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Oh gosh sev. Yeah I adore BR hard. Yeah man.

I'm with you on Dark Knight as well but fairly sure you were aware of that.
Old 03.21.2018, 01:49 AM   #22334
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses

This movie is pretty good. Feels very influenced by early Spike Lee and possibly Clerks era Kevin Smith.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2018, 04:24 AM   #22335
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i remember the other guy who looks like marky mark. matt damon? or was it marky fucking mark?

Haha, Mark Whalberg and Matt Damon were in it.

DiCaprio played the undercover cop who infiltrates Jack Nicholson's gang.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2018, 05:39 AM   #22336
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
No, you’re right. I haven’t gone into the rabbit hole, but I think it’s confirmed. I read that Scott said that, and the Tyrell corporation is referenced by name in Alien DVD. They run the same software, etc.

But I didn’t know you were so into BR. That’s, like, my fave franchise ever. We should geek out about it!

(Either BR or Nolan’s Dark Knight of course)

Swear if I hear about that film one more time...

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2018, 05:41 AM   #22337
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Jack Nicholson was fucking great on that film. For the most part.i actually did enjoy that film and I've nothing against ol Leo. However, that film actually has one of the last shots in any film EVER. Fuck me, talk about heavy handed. You'd expect that sort of stuff from anyone but Scorcese.

Old 03.21.2018, 07:40 AM   #22338
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

aaaahaaaahaaahaaaa! ok. no wonder im confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Jack Nicholson was fucking great on that film. For the most part.i actually did enjoy that film and I've nothing against ol Leo. However, that film actually has one of the last shots in any film EVER. Fuck me, talk about heavy handed. You'd expect that sort of stuff from anyone but Scorcese.

scorsese can be very heavy handed for sure. maybe that’s part of his success: he always hammers on the point he’s trying to make and the audiences don’t miss it. he;s not praised for his subtlety, he’s more about the spectacle. think about taxi driver or raging bull: what’s most memorable is the spectacle.

in gangs of new york the end was really terrible with the fade of the modern skyline and an ugly u2 song about “the hands that built america” and o man that last bit made me cringe and i wanted to throw a rock at my tv...

the opening fight though, holy fuck, that thing was THE BEST.
Old 03.21.2018, 07:53 AM   #22339
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

so i googled “scorsese subtlety” after i wrote that and found this great interview/article with him and ebert

https://www.rogerebert.com/interview...artin-scorsese

and he’s right he can be subtle i guess (and he’s also blamed for taking that away it looks). but the age of innocence, while very good, was not a great public “success.” beautifully shot though, damn.

anyway, putting that aside, a great little thing to read, that link.
Old 03.21.2018, 07:54 AM   #22340
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
aaaahaaaahaaahaaaa! ok. no wonder im confused

scorsese can be very heavy handed for sure. maybe that’s part of his success: he always hammers on the point he’s trying to make and the audiences don’t miss it. he;s not praised for his subtlety, he’s more about the spectacle. think about taxi driver or raging bull: what’s most memorable is the spectacle.

in gangs of new york the end was really terrible with the fade of the modern skyline and an ugly u2 song about “the hands that built america
” and o man that last bit made me cringe and i wanted to throw a rock at my tv...

the opening fight though, holy fuck, that thing was THE BEST.

That is true. Id actually forgotten about that til you mentioned it. VGod knows why jhe thought that was a good idea.

617101710671107111411151116 1117 111811191120112711671217 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth