Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Melvins last month
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.04.2010, 02:18 AM   #1
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
We arrived in Athens sometime around 2:30pm. A bit early before the 4O-Watt's doors opened @ 8pm, but we wanted to be sure there'd be time for shopping/etc. I bought nothing in the way of records. I seldom do these days.

It was god-awfully hot. We quickly became bored w/ Athens record stores which have went to complete suckage ever since low yo yo stuff skipped town for greener Atlanta pastures (still, fuck Atlanta).

Some hours later and tired from all the walking + energy soaking sun, we stepped into some pub (maybe 6:00). I purchased 2 pints and sat at a table w/ my party. Beer, like coffee, always tastes best w/ smokes...but this pub didn't allow for smoking. So, I brought my two pints and sat at a table outside. I wasn't really looking to get a buzz (even though it would have been nice), just something to cool me off a bit. I quickly downed the two pints, and sweat both out before anything at all happened. Oh well, I did feel slightly cooler.

A bit later (6:30ish) we decided it might be a good idea to go + stand in line outside of the 40-Watt (thankfully we were some of the first there waiting). Isis was playing, too...and this was their farewell tour. Getting there too late might have meant feeling cramped and watching the Melvins from the back. I was having none of it.

Soon as the doors opened I rushed to the front, standing directly next to (oddly enough) one of the dudes that used to work at low yo yo. Still dread-locked, but having aged a bit since I'd last seen 'em. Stage was loaded w/ three bands worth of equipment. Two drum kits (both obviously belonging to the Melvins).

First band came on, Toshimoshi. Drummer was using Dale C.'s kit. Wasn't too blown away by them but enjoyed the loose structure of their songs. I found myself paying close attention to the set list laying on the floor inches away, near the bass players feet. Counting down the songs until the Melvins took the stage....(OK, Toshimoshi actually bored the shit out of me.)

And take the stage they did:

They came out dressed like barbarians, w/ the exception of Buzz who was in his usual attire (black robe this time, I seem to remember it being brown the previous time I'd seen 'em). I wasn't expecting much, as the new album didn't impress me...but still, they are one of my favs and I had ta had ta had ta be there. BUT, these new songs....made total fucking perfect sense live. All the songs blended together, lots of weird drone and percussion taking place between songs....it seemed very conceptual. Like all the new material was intended to blend together into one enormous "piece". Buzz was looking and sounding like some long forgotten medieval god...witchy high pitched vocals turned to that Buzzy growl. Dale was looking a bit tired, but still kicking ass alongside Coady. + Of course Jared is the only Melvins bass player that has ever really made sense, in the way that he seems to belong to the band (still, wish I could have seen the infamous Lorax back in the day). Only new(er) material was played, with an exception of "Black Bock" off of Stag.

In a perfect world they'd be bigger than Nirvana. They've damned sure worked their asses off over the years, and like SY...ya never really know what to expect out of them as they've never really been too scared of exploring new terrain (like Pigs of the Roman Empire w/ ambient/dronester Lustmord, Killer Killer record).

After the Melvins set, were were feeling drained. I'd been awake nearly 30 hours (worked the previous night, and failed to go to sleep when I got home the morning of the show). Place was steaming w/ heat coming off too many bodies. We stepped outside and sat on the sidewalk. We didn't enter the building again, but did hear Isis when they came out. Listened to a few songs from the slightly cooler outdoors, and then decided to head back to Macon.

That's all. Oh, Jeff (believe that's his name) from Mastodon was there. Saw 'em in the audiance as we were walking out.

That is all...

Forgive the poor writing, I'm a bit on the tired side.
Old 07.06.2010, 11:58 AM   #2
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Wish I was there ryan would not drive that far and we are broke

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2010, 06:28 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
In a perfect world they'd be bigger than Nirvana.

In a perfect world, people would rather listen to It's Shoved than Milk It...

Oh, that'd be a great world indeed.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth