Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new/most anticipated albums: 2017
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.08.2017, 12:42 AM   #161
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses

selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2017, 08:16 AM   #162
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I forgot the new Grandaddy album was out. Haven't heard it yet. Excited.

Also, Pitchfork's review includes this sentence:

Quote:
Most crucially, The Sophtware Slump countered the pre-millennial tension of trip-hop, Timbaland, and Radiohead with Y2k’s definitive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ album, speaking to people who came of age during the tech boom and felt like the 21st century could only promise shinier distractions from the same old pervasive suburban boredom.

so yeah. They've officially fallen to the level where it's okay to include fucking emoji's in your prose.
Old 03.08.2017, 11:21 AM   #163
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

so yeah. They've officially fallen to the level where it's okay to include fucking emoji's in your prose.

They've been edging closer to that for some time. Remember when they rated Meow the Jewels (utterly absurd waste of time and energy and Kickstarter bandwidth that it was) with two cat emojis with hearts for eyes? As in, like... "Yeah, this album is a solid two cat faces with heart-eyes out of the number 10."

WHAT... FUCKING... THE?!!?! What was that? Two (random shit) of of 10 (points)? You can't have two cartoon cats out of ten fucking numerical value points. You can't have two tomatoes out of ten toothpicks either.

Ok, I'm getting off base here... but goddammit, I know it was a joke, but that's just not fucking funny. Math matters.

Anyway, this is a new low. That's not even a proper emoji. It's not even "current." That's some ASCII shit. Would it have been so hard to search the caverns of one's mind for a WORD that might work better? It could still be a meme, even. It could be "WTF," or "IDGAF." Or better yet, "C'est la vie!"

That stupid site used to be one of the only really accessible and high-traffic areas where people would talk about bands music that wasn't perma-painted on pop culture's collective consciousness. Where Pavement and Built to Spill and Slint were just as beloved as Nirvana. Where lists would take on the purpose of history lessons, teaching youngens about the value of the Minutemen, Sonic Youth, Hüsker Dü, Steve Albini, etc. Where music mattered, and pop culture trash was largely unrepresented. But now... Jesus man, I'm not even sure what to think. I think there's been a correlation between my growing older and the website being less interesting, more absurd, but I also think they took kind of a hard nosedive when they were purchased by Condé Nast.

In fact, you know, in the early '00s, I sent them a résumé. I really wanted to contribute to that site actually, and while the submitting I included never got published, I have, for years, entertained the thought of one day working for that website, if only on a freelance basis (who could stand to ONLY do that? What kind of journalist could survive ONLY on editiorials of zero consequence or significance?).

But at this point. Blargh. In fact just a couple days ago I saw a "Condé Nast is hiring" ad on their page. I stopped for a second, thought, "Eh, I'm good," and scrolled on by.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2017, 04:30 PM   #164
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
sev, I did the same thing 10 years ago haha.

And now Pfork has actually run a news story about... how they are going to review Notorious BIG's albums soon. Who cares? I mean... spoiler: they're going to give Ready To Die a 10. Wow. I can't wait to read that review of an album that I read reviews of in 1994 and rushed out to buy and listened to and formed opinions of then. I mean, a feature that maybe chronicles his discography? Ok, cool. But reviews of his major work? How safe is that? It's boring. It's unnecessary.

But even weirder is why this is some big announcement. I mean, every Sunday they run a review of some old classic album (that really doesn't need to be reviewed again). Strange.
Old 03.08.2017, 11:53 PM   #165
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
sev, I did the same thing 10 years ago haha.

And now Pfork has actually run a news story about... how they are going to review Notorious BIG's albums soon. Who cares? I mean... spoiler: they're going to give Ready To Die a 10. Wow. I can't wait to read that review of an album that I read reviews of in 1994 and rushed out to buy and listened to and formed opinions of then. I mean, a feature that maybe chronicles his discography? Ok, cool. But reviews of his major work? How safe is that? It's boring. It's unnecessary.

But even weirder is why this is some big announcement. I mean, every Sunday they run a review of some old classic album (that really doesn't need to be reviewed again). Strange.

I dunno. They reviewed a bunch of Prince albums right after he died too. Of course Sign o' the Times got a 10 (deserved it) and so did Purple Rain (deserves it but a little bit less), and everything else warms highly favorable, because what are they going to do? Pan this recently deceased legend's music? Nope.

I do like their liner notes series or whatever where they look at older albums. Enjoyed the one for Modest Mouse - This is a Long Drive... and The Lips' Soft Bulletin. But... yeah, not exciting.
Old 03.09.2017, 05:39 AM   #166
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
The new one from The Necks is really good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3gmyJGBMgY
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2017, 08:22 AM   #167
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I dunno. They reviewed a bunch of Prince albums right after he died too. Of course Sign o' the Times got a 10 (deserved it) and so did Purple Rain (deserves it but a little bit less), and everything else warms highly favorable, because what are they going to do? Pan this recently deceased legend's music? Nope.

I do like their liner notes series or whatever where they look at older albums. Enjoyed the one for Modest Mouse - This is a Long Drive... and The Lips' Soft Bulletin. But... yeah, not exciting.

that's what I mean tho - features like that, or even a tribute after someone dies or whatever I get. But, why did they review 4 Biggie albums TODAY? Is it an anniversary or something that I didn't realize and it's at least topical? Or is it random? Or maybe they're going to review old albums on Thursdays for #throwback?

EDIT: oops yeah. 20th anniversary of his death. So I missed that. RIP.

Also why did they only review 2 albums yesterday?

BTW, they gave Ready To Die a 10. Which in fairness it deserves. But I called it. Know why? Because that's what they do. They give old albums a 10. I'm sure there's more new releases, but the ONLY new album I remember getting a 10 was Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - which had been leaked for a year prior. I just find it kind of weak that these 'tastemakers' don't seem to have the balls to give out 10's (IE: "I think this album is perfect.") to anything unless it's been out for a year or more. Gives the impression that they can't really make such a bold statement without hindsight on their side.

I know I"m being overly harsh. Because in fairness we all need time to let art sink in. But they're the ones that choose to go w/ number scores (which I find arbitrary anyway).

EDIT: on the topic of Biggie, I think Ready To Die is amazing. Like really really amazing. To me, I always preferred 2Pac as a rapper... but he never made an album that I thought was as good start-to-finish as Ready To Die. Ironically, there is no other Biggie album that I love. I think the rest of his discography is just good. Shrug.
Old 03.09.2017, 10:20 AM   #168
Severian
invito al cielo

20 years since BIG passed. I remember the day. Remember where I was when I heard, what I was doing. Just like with Kurt Cobain a few years earlier.

I definitely wasn't nearly as open to hip-hop in 1997 as I am now. There was a small group of artists that I embraced (ATCQ, Wu-Tang Clan, Kool Keith, Fugees, De La Soul, Busta, OutKast, some others) but for the most part, I really didn't think much of rap back then.

But I was not deaf, so I liked BIG. I appreciated interesting uses of language and high-quality storytelling in rap, and BIG was truly the king of the scene with this shit. Ready to Die blew my mind despite the violence, which I found distasteful even then. Somehow the brutality on that record was balanced out by BIG's indomitable spirit and ambition — he weaved his life story into a glorious narrative, and the result is undeniable. One of rap's greatest achievements despite some terrible production.

I'm not super into all the public mourning shit that goes along with being a fan of deceased artists. None of them were saints, certainly not Biggie. But ... whatever ... the guy dropped two albums that still managed to outshine the entire Death Row catalogue, even with Sean Combs' unintentional attempts to sabotage them, and bend them to his stupid ass will.

Big earned his legendary status when he was still alive. He maintains it in spite of, not because of, the myth-making bullshit that took place after this day, 20 years ago.
Old 03.09.2017, 10:36 AM   #169
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
that's what I mean tho - features like that, or even a tribute after someone dies or whatever I get. But, why did they review 4 Biggie albums TODAY? Is it an anniversary or something that I didn't realize and it's at least topical? Or is it random? Or maybe they're going to review old albums on Thursdays for #throwback?

EDIT: oops yeah. 20th anniversary of his death. So I missed that. RIP.

Also why did they only review 2 albums yesterday?

BTW, they gave Ready To Die a 10. Which in fairness it deserves. But I called it. Know why? Because that's what they do. They give old albums a 10. I'm sure there's more new releases, but the ONLY new album I remember getting a 10 was Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - which had been leaked for a year prior. I just find it kind of weak that these 'tastemakers' don't seem to have the balls to give out 10's (IE: "I think this album is perfect.") to anything unless it's been out for a year or more. Gives the impression that they can't really make such a bold statement without hindsight on their side.

I know I"m being overly harsh. Because in fairness we all need time to let art sink in. But they're the ones that choose to go w/ number scores (which I find arbitrary anyway).

EDIT: on the topic of Biggie, I think Ready To Die is amazing. Like really really amazing. To me, I always preferred 2Pac as a rapper... but he never made an album that I thought was as good start-to-finish as Ready To Die. Ironically, there is no other Biggie album that I love. I think the rest of his discography is just good. Shrug.

Well, to be fair the rest of his *real* solo discography is... Life After Death. Just that. All those other shits were weird, mostly lame, posthumous grab bags of repurposed verses and "duets."

But yeah... Ready to Die is amazing. I like Life After Death too, and it has some GREAT moments on it, but let's be honest, it also has some shitty moments. Puff rapping is always a bad thing. 112 and Total or whatever... yuck.

I see Pitchfork have it a 9.5, but... naaah. It really does have some amazing tracks and some incredible writing, and Big's delivery is more smoothed out and versatile than on RTD. "My Downfall" band "Kick in the Door" are two major highlights. If "Mo Money Mo Problems" didn't have Puffy and Mase mumbling and stumbling around on it, it would be one of the best Biggie tracks... like "Juicy" pt. 2.

But the urge to look at the past through rose-colored glasses is something we should resist. "Hypnotize" was alarmingly catchy, but also alarmingly "What the fuck???" when it came out. It did not sound like Big. It sounded like the Big from the "One More Chance" remix. Felt like a bid for airplay, and as a radio hit it was huge, but ... it didn't have the fire of RTD.

It took me a long time to come to terms with Life After Death. I think it's probably a solid 7/10. Good... great at times... classic even! But like many, many double albums, it's bogged down, and like pretty much every rap album since, it's obscenely feature- and filler-heavy.

Just being honest. Still love it... but I don't listen to that shit all the way through, and if anyone here claims they do, I'll have to call bullshit.
Old 03.09.2017, 10:48 AM   #170
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Yeah, when was the last time they gave a 10 to a new album? Like... a truly new album... not a reissue or one of their classic reviews. Seriously, I don't remember it happening any time recently. Jesus... was it MBDTF, almost seven years ago? Can't be... and yet... I think that might have been it!

They used to be a bit more liberal with their ratings. Remember when Wilco and Trail of Drad and (I think) Interpol all got 10's in the same year? Now, that shit is reserved for paying lip service to classics. Sometimes I see a 10 on a reissue and it just pisses me off because I know they're "reviewing" the album's cultural impact or "cool factor" more than the actual music.

The whole thing is just screwed anyway. There's this unspoken rule that "good" albums are 8.0+. They doll out a LOT of 7-somethings, and they sometimes write, like, nothing but glowing praise in those 7-something reviews, but we all know when we see the score that if it's not an 8.0+ it won't be "in the club," won't be a year-end list contender, likely won't be revisited or talked about by any of the staff after that first review. LAME. So many great albums have had 7-somethings. Why? Because they don't know how to really write or think about music, and if something doesn't strike them on first listen as being "a contender," or not being "cool factor-y" enough, they throw it in the junk bin.

Quote:
To me, I always preferred 2Pac as a rapper...

BIG was better, in my opinion.
Old 03.09.2017, 10:49 AM   #171
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I always (as in, when it came out) felt that LAD was just overly long and padded w/ too much BS. "Hypnotize" was - I'm sorry - just radio cheese. It's catchy or whatever. But not a great song.

Thing is RTD came out during early Bad Boy. Craig Mack Bad Boy. LAD came out during super lame taking over the world w/ pop samples Bad Boy. Meh. Like you said, it was good. Better than good even. But not great. And just too much.

I'd consider the Junior Mafia album part of his "real" discography too. So there's that. That's... an ok album.

Random thought: I was so bummed when RTD came out and "Party & Bullshit" wasn't on it. I was also stumped when that track wasn't added on to the remaster that had bonus tracks. At least it made it to the Notorious soundtrack.
Old 03.09.2017, 10:52 AM   #172
noisereductions
invito al cielo

let me elaborate: Big was the better performer and linguist. But Pac was a more interesting character to me. And I loved more of his albums. Meaning, RTD was the only Biggie album that I played the hell out of. But Pac, I was super into Me Against The World, All Eyez, Makavelli..... it's just that as much as I loved those Pac albums, none were as loved by me as RTD.
Old 03.09.2017, 11:37 AM   #173
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
let me elaborate: Big was the better performer and linguist. But Pac was a more interesting character to me. And I loved more of his albums. Meaning, RTD was the only Biggie album that I played the hell out of. But Pac, I was super into Me Against The World, All Eyez, Makavelli..... it's just that as much as I loved those Pac albums, none were as loved by me as RTD.

Pac certainly had more good albums, yeah, and was the more interesting character. I agree. But he doesn't have anything that can compete with Ready to Die.

Really, though, I'm more of a Tribe and Wu-Tang guy as far as '90s shit is concerned. Taking about classic albums, the first two Wu albums and the first run of solo projects is nothing but. And ATCQ's entire discography kills pretty much everyone else's (pre-Kanye). So that's where my hip-hop attention was really focused in that era. Wu-Tang Forever is one of the only true rap double albums that feels like it needs to be a double album. Should have won that Grammy for sure, over both No Way Out and LAD.
Old 03.09.2017, 07:39 PM   #174
gogologogolo
little trouble girl

gogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's asses
Listened to Sleeping Through The War by All Them Witches today. It's got a mix of desert rock, blues, and psychedelia with some great jams mixed throughout. These guys would be great to see live.

It's probably the best 2017 album I've heard so far this year.
gogologogolo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2017, 12:39 PM   #175
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Blonde Redhead got that new EP out. Their single '3 O Clock' is pretty fucking good. Reminds me of stuff from the Misery era.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2017, 01:21 AM   #176
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I'm glad you love it and that it makes you happy, but yeah... not my thing. Although I once had a Whiskeytown album.

it's possible I have shitty taste. And it's possible that you don't know what you're missing. I'd make you a playlist, but I'd fear it was the former. All I know is that I love Ryan Adams.
Old 03.11.2017, 09:07 AM   #177
Blood_Promise
bad moon rising

Blood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
The new one from The Necks is really good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3gmyJGBMgY
Yes!

I heard Karkhana, the super group from Middle East with Zerang, will finally release a studio album this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaoTYqmfWhg
Blood_Promise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2017, 10:34 AM   #178
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
it's possible I have shitty taste. And it's possible that you don't know what you're missing. I'd make you a playlist, but I'd fear it was the former. All I know is that I love Ryan Adams.

Fuck man, you don't have shitty taste. You just like an artist that "isn't my thing." That's all. I'm sure he's not horrible, or untalented, or anything like that. I have listened to his albums before and never really felt much of anything, but plenty of people I know and respect like him.

There's no such thing as "shitty taste."

You know that one really pompous actor guy who tries to look humble and be lovable all the time? Uh... James Franco! Yeah! Well... he's kind of a nutjob, and bring a lifelong celebrity has gone to his head (he once admonished people who don't fulfill their dreams because when he wants to make a movie, he just "knuckles under" and "gets it done" ... forgetting perhaps that not everyone who has "dreams" is a famous, Oscar nominated, millionaire with the world at his fingertips) ... but ANYWAY... he once said something kind of cool:

"I reject the idea of a 'good career.' I was up for an Oscar at the same time I was in General Hospital."

Now, that's a serious humble-brag and a half, and like I said he's a nutjob, but there's a kernel of truth in this and how it applies to "good" vs. "bad" art stuff.

I kind of reject the idea of "good taste in music." If you listen to what you like, you're doing it right, and you listen to plenty of stuff from all over the place, so get that "shitty taste" thing out of your head.
Old 03.11.2017, 10:47 AM   #179
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I always thought everyone had a shitty taste in music. And that it's about who has the same shitty taste in music as you do. A lot of music is really crap, even the stuff I listen to. I listen to it because I like it....not necessarily because it's good. I mean...you ever listen to BIP BURGER?
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2017, 09:23 PM   #180
gogologogolo
little trouble girl

gogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's asses
The latest release from Instant Classic (which if you don't know is the most consistently high quality label I know of), the album '2' by the Waclaw Zimpel-led band Saagara, is awesome. Lots of cool eastern vibes in this one. Give this awesome label some support.
gogologogolo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth