Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim Gordon - Murdered Out
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.18.2016, 12:09 AM   #41
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
To me this all viewed as a planned direction change to Kim`s music and the idea could have come from the Matador. I don´t believe Coming Apart was a huge seller so Matador could have said to Kim she had to do much more music of this day if she wanted to continue in Matador. I don´t think quality of the music has been the main thing in Matador long time (also Spencer has left it).

To me it seems same thing has happened to Warpaint also. They made their really great, but very dark and introverted second album which I believe didn´t sell much. Anyway going to listen the whole album, if it´s better than that boring single.

But anyway I wonder why they seem not to be interest at Lee, because he has also added electro elements into his music, but much more interesting way?

If I am wrong with Kim and she´s doing just what she really wants to do, then happy life to her, I don´t have to buy her new album.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2016, 01:22 AM   #42
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
if kim is selling out. I must have the documents. I have an big ass stamp to stamp this new wave or punk. one or the other can only be selling out. or it might be, gulp, no wave.

what's the problem with this direction? it's kinda kim but kinda lame too. she's being hesitant but, feels the social media culture closing in on her so she must react. should she go club hip hop or remain in her no wave roots that she feels are like chains? bringing her down.

she is a ll cool j fan nonetheless. she might as well go for it. fuck thruston and go for the gut girl.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2016, 01:42 AM   #43
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
following this topic. I just saw the new Beck vid too. gross and trying too hard to be current.

wow!! how lame. beck yr lame. oh god! I want to commit suicide with Severian's gun. post my thoughts on my blog. then go twitter with musings on polyurethane. god help up us instagram for beck has always been a lame asshole soul sucking jerk. more than ever in the history of music are fans and musicians are at a crossroads at what they want to like and what they want to give into.
Old 09.20.2016, 01:47 AM   #44
pepper_green
Banned

thank god I can sniff my way around Haile and yr other monotheistic bullshit and bust my way through the clouds of this sick ass planet that the rest of u worship with the help of polyurethane.

im generation x sitting with yr mum doing origami for me. floating.

never in my life, though I knew this time would come, have I seen such a homogeneous culture agreeing on a bunch of bullshit. so sick im up against the counter.
Old 09.21.2016, 11:05 AM   #45
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
To me this all viewed as a planned direction change to Kim`s music and the idea could have come from the Matador. I don´t believe Coming Apart was a huge seller so Matador could have said to Kim she had to do much more music of this day if she wanted to continue in Matador. I don´t think quality of the music has been the main thing in Matador long time (also Spencer has left it).

To me it seems same thing has happened to Warpaint also. They made their really great, but very dark and introverted second album which I believe didn´t sell much. Anyway going to listen the whole album, if it´s better than that boring single.

But anyway I wonder why they seem not to be interest at Lee, because he has also added electro elements into his music, but much more interesting way?

If I am wrong with Kim and she´s doing just what she really wants to do, then happy life to her, I don´t have to buy her new album.

I don't really think Matador would try to impose stipulations on Kim's recording. Maybe I'm wrong, but even if it's changed, it's still Matador. That label owes its entire existence to Sonic Youth and the Fall. After all, what the hell would Slanted & Enchanted have been without Sonic Youth and the Fall to milk like crazy? (No offense to S&E.)

Also, since Kim's been at Matador, she's had quite a bit of autonomy. She's been able to release projects at her leisure, taking breaks in between, and she even put out an album on Burger earlier this year (Glitterbust of course). If Matador considered Kim some sort of cash cow, they wouldn't have let that slide. They're probably just thankful that when she does decide to release music (or promote other endeavors like her book), Matador will be attached to it. And they should be thankful. She's Kim Gordon.

Also, Body/Head certainly wasn't a big seller, but honestly, Sonic Youth didn't put out big sellers. Never even went gold! But they have a committed and loyal fanbase who buys everything possible, and they continue to be discovered by younger generations.

Body/Head's Coming Apart wasn't a #1 record, or even remotely close to being one. But it got great reviews and a lot of positive attention from big publications like Rolling Stone and Pitchfork. I'll bet they turned a decent profit off that record, and the live shows were well attended.

Kim (and Thurston, and Lee and even Steve) are legends. Their albums will sell enough to justify being kept on the roster of an independent label just because of who they are. When I was working at the local indie vinyl shop a few years back, the Best Day and Coming Apart and Chelsea Light Moving were all pretty popular. Not, like, Beyoncé popular of course, but they stayed on the "featured releases" shelf for months. Longer than most.

Just saying.
I don't know though. Maybe you're right.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2016, 03:23 AM   #46
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I don't really think Matador would try to impose stipulations on Kim's recording. Maybe I'm wrong, but even if it's changed, it's still Matador. That label owes its entire existence to Sonic Youth and the Fall. After all, what the hell would Slanted & Enchanted have been without Sonic Youth and the Fall to milk like crazy? (No offense to S&E.)

Also, since Kim's been at Matador, she's had quite a bit of autonomy. She's been able to release projects at her leisure, taking breaks in between, and she even put out an album on Burger earlier this year (Glitterbust of course). If Matador considered Kim some sort of cash cow, they wouldn't have let that slide. They're probably just thankful that when she does decide to release music (or promote other endeavors like her book), Matador will be attached to it. And they should be thankful. She's Kim Gordon.

Also, Body/Head certainly wasn't a big seller, but honestly, Sonic Youth didn't put out big sellers. Never even went gold! But they have a committed and loyal fanbase who buys everything possible, and they continue to be discovered by younger generations.

Body/Head's Coming Apart wasn't a #1 record, or even remotely close to being one. But it got great reviews and a lot of positive attention from big publications like Rolling Stone and Pitchfork. I'll bet they turned a decent profit off that record, and the live shows were well attended.

Kim (and Thurston, and Lee and even Steve) are legends. Their albums will sell enough to justify being kept on the roster of an independent label just because of who they are. When I was working at the local indie vinyl shop a few years back, the Best Day and Coming Apart and Chelsea Light Moving were all pretty popular. Not, like, Beyoncé popular of course, but they stayed on the "featured releases" shelf for months. Longer than most.

Just saying.
I don't know though. Maybe you're right.
Well, can you explain me, why Matador seem to lost interest in Lee? In Matador´s sites there are still mentioned Lee Ranaldo & Dust although I have got impression Dust doesn´t exist anymore (tell me if I am wrong). Also Thurston´s album was scheduled this year, now it´s next spring. Of course this all can be made by Lee & Thurston themselves, who knows.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2016, 10:00 AM   #47
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I love it. Best POST-SY release if you ask me.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth