Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Hurdy Gurdy meet my laziness.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.29.2006, 09:29 AM   #1
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Ok, there was another thread on hurdy gurdy, but I can't be arsed to find it. Someone tell me who plays this who has recordings I can illegally download from slsk.

Not Keiji Haino though, I'm more than well aware of his work for said instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2006, 09:40 AM   #2
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
jimmy o'rourke did some hurdy gurdy stuff dinnee?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Ay divven noo man.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 05.29.2006, 10:19 AM   #4
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
donovan has a song called hurdy gurdy man with a weird instrument in it, i've no idea if it's a hurdy gurdy though cus i don't know what one sounds like. The butthole surfers did a cover of that track too.

The instrument sounds kinda like a tuneful cow mooing
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2006, 10:20 AM   #5
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
this site is linked from a haino fansite:

http://www.hurdygurdy.com/index.htm

http://www.hurdygurdy.com/info/disc.htm
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2006, 10:27 AM   #6
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
from that site that toilet and bowels linked to

Oh, like in the Donovan song?

Certainly Donovan recorded a song called The Hurdy-gurdy Man. It's not clear whether he had the stringed instrument in mind when he wrote the song. Two minor pieces of evidence indicate that the song refers to the stringed hurdy-gurdy instead of the barrel organ. First, the lyrics refer to the hurdy-gurdy man "singing songs of love". The barrel organ can only play one or two songs, but the plural songs suggests that the instrument can play more than one. (Actually some versions of the barrel organ have interchangable discs or rolls which allow different tunes to be played, so this point is even more sketchy.) Second, Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin reputedly played guitar on the studio recording (though no listing of musicians or instrumentation is given on the liner notes, and in some accounts he's quoted that he either didn't do it or doesn't remember doing it.) In any case it's documented that Page had an interest in the stringed hurdy-gurdy. There are unfounded rumors that a hurdy-gurdy appears on this album, and even on this song.
Pierre Imbert had a hurdy-gurdy signed by Donovan some 15 or 20 years after the recording, and it was the first hurdy-gurdy that Donovan had actually seen. He told Pierre that he had been walking on a beach in Hawaii and been visited by a vision of a man floating above the waves playing a hurdy-gurdy, and had written the first verse of the song. The other verses were a combined effort on the part of Donovan and George Harrison.
My personal theory is that Donovan used the word because he liked the alliterative quality of "hurdy-gurdy". In one verse he changes the refrain to "rolly-polly", which has the same quality, though I doubt that a song called "The Rolly-Polly Man" would have gotten quite as popular. Since he hadn't seen a hurdy-gurdy before, he probably just liked the way the word sounded. The song has also been covered by several other bands, including the Butthole Surfers. Donovan still plays it in concert.

guess i was wrong
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2006, 10:37 AM   #7
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Batoh uses one in Ghost quite a bit.
I have also see Pelt utilize one on a couple of occasions.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2006, 12:51 PM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Hmm. All good things, but I'm looking for some sort of archivist, you know how you get period groups doing medeival renditions? That's what I'm after more than a few isolated examples...

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth