Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Bad Moon Rising - Private Remaster
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.17.2016, 04:36 AM   #1
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Don't if this has been posted before BUT.

Some dude seems to have remastered Bad Moons Rising (for their own listening pleasure) and posted it on Youtube. Being that I've only ever heard the 90s CD reissue of BMR, it is a clear improvement.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CJZJ1VkFoZX5MA
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2016, 10:28 AM   #2
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm. I listened to "Brave Men Run" and "I'm Insane" — my favorite tracks from the album — and thought it sounded better. Then I played those tracks from the CD and thought those sounded great. Then I went to Apple Music and played the tracks... they sounded great.

I'm pretty sure I can hear some differences in clarity on the bass and guitar tones just from a quick listen on my MacBoook, but it doesn't sound quite like a huge improvement to me. Maybe I need to listen on high quality headphones or better speakers.

I've never had a problem with the way BMR sounds. Its sound is part of its appeal.

Thanks for posting though.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2016, 01:15 PM   #3
halgreen
stalker

halgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asses
I always thought it was a pretty good sounding CD, not the 90s reissue but the original CD. Very quiet so lots of room to turn up and zone out.
halgreen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2016, 02:09 PM   #4
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
what is the story with this. firstly, this can not be called remaster (meaning remaster of a master tape), or? what is the story with this pic during the intro though (just a pic from internet)?

soundwise...I have to listen to it on a proper equipment. Brave Me Run sounds...can not tell listening on my mac just like that.

cheers for sharing.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2016, 02:20 PM   #5
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
i like lo fi. sometimes i think remastering an album is like george lucas putting cgi aliens in the original star wars. it just wasn't meant to be.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2016, 06:51 PM   #6
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah but when cruddy 90s CD mastering fucks up a previously great sounding album then there's reason to remaster, cf 90s CD version of Evol sounds dreadful compared to the original LP
Old 08.17.2016, 08:09 PM   #7
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Yeah but when cruddy 90s CD mastering fucks up a previously great sounding album then there's reason to remaster, cf 90s CD version of Evol sounds dreadful compared to the original LP

I actually think EVOL sounds worse than BMR, as far as the '90s reissues are concerned.
Old 08.18.2016, 01:16 AM   #8
sonicyouth
Administrator

sonicyouth has disabled reputation
Curious what source this remaster is made from? That pic - that's my handwriting but I can't figure out what that is - doesn't look like master tape boxes...

LR
sonicyouth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2016, 02:22 AM   #9
hedgehog
empty page

hedgehog has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicyouth
Curious what source this remaster is made from? That pic - that's my handwriting but I can't figure out what that is - doesn't look like master tape boxes...

LR

Yeah, the date says 94 so this must be the Geffen masters, no? It's quite secretive as to who mastered the Geffen re-issues, it seems. I think they sound pretty good, especially for the pre-re-mastering fanatical time! LR, is there much info on the creation of BMR? ie. the segues, the convertion to CD (when it was a fairly new format), whether it was mastered in whole blocks (ie. side A and Side B), as opposed to each track separately then somehow spliced together (pre-computer editing?). It's my favourite album of all time and an extremely unique one, at that. It feels like a single piece of work (like a symphony with 8 movements), as opposed to a collection of songs simply written/recorded around the same period. I wish this received the deluxe re-issue with liner notes, pics, etc... Amazing stuff!
hedgehog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2016, 10:36 AM   #10
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicyouth

LR

Gotta say, it kind of bothers me that this is out there without permission or input from band members. Not sure if that's cool of me or not, but I can't help but feel a bit protective of my favorite band's music.

It's a little creepy to see those pictures. Feels a bit like reading a ransom note, with photos of a family member that nobody else should have access to.
Old 08.18.2016, 11:17 AM   #11
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Gotta say, it kind of bothers me that this is out there without permission or input from band members. Not sure if that's cool of me or not, but I can't help but feel a bit protective of my favorite band's music.

It's a little creepy to see those pictures. Feels a bit like reading a ransom note, with photos of a family member that nobody else should have access to.

that is the thing. once it is "remaster" so be it. but once it is a proper remaster then it is different story, but who could have acces to the band's master tape? can not imagine. i do not think this would be proper stuff.

very hard to read text on very bottom of the pic (with pencil). can anyone else read it?

Old 08.18.2016, 12:02 PM   #12
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

I assumed it's just a dude fucking about on pro-tools using a copy of the record
Old 08.18.2016, 03:16 PM   #13
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, the pic of the master tapes is from sy.com and while I haven't listened, I figured it was just somebody tweaking the audio from one of the various released versions and calling it a "remaster".

I still maintain there's something up with the vocals on the DGC mastering of this album...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2016, 07:28 PM   #14
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
Yeah, the pic of the master tapes is from sy.com and while I haven't listened, I figured it was just somebody tweaking the audio from one of the various released versions and calling it a "remaster".

I still maintain there's something up with the vocals on the DGC mastering of this album...

I've minimal pro-tools knowledge, but it doesn't seem like much was altered. Doesn't sound like a professional remaster. But again, I listened on a MacBook's factory installed speaker, so... yeah.
Old 08.18.2016, 08:50 PM   #15
musicplatypus
little trouble girl

musicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
that is the thing. once it is "remaster" so be it. but once it is a proper remaster then it is different story, but who could have acces to the band's master tape? can not imagine. i do not think this would be proper stuff.

very hard to read text on very bottom of the pic (with pencil). can anyone else read it?

What I read is:

"See sep reels for xtra trks ( "Satan is Boring" / "Halloween" / illegible "

--
musicplatypus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2016, 05:20 PM   #16
spenno
little trouble girl

spenno kicks all y'all's assesspenno kicks all y'all's assesspenno kicks all y'all's assesspenno kicks all y'all's assesspenno kicks all y'all's assesspenno kicks all y'all's assesspenno kicks all y'all's assesspenno kicks all y'all's assesspenno kicks all y'all's assesspenno kicks all y'all's assesspenno kicks all y'all's asses
Slightly off topic, but isn't there also a (relatively) new reissue on Goofin'? Is it a new mastering?
spenno is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2016, 02:36 AM   #17
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
Yeah, the pic of the master tapes is from sy.com and
solved

Old 08.20.2016, 02:39 AM   #18
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicplatypus
What I read is:

"See sep reels for xtra trks ( "Satan is Boring" / "Halloween" / illegible "

--

thx. yeah actually.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth