Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Butthole Surfers discussion
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.15.2006, 03:18 PM   #1
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
When did you hear them first etc, where you freaked out the first time you heard them. The first album I got by them in 9th grade was Psychic Powerless another man's sac. That album is so great, Negro Observer, Eye of the Chicken, Dum Dum, Cherub. Such fucking crazy music. I think that's my favorite after Rembrandt Pussyhorse and Hairway to Steven

I remember playing it for my friends and saying " Does this sound like a guy taking a shit? " because I didn't know track 4 has actual audio of a man deficating. Fucking nasty
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 03:32 PM   #2
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
ive heard some different tracks by them, but i don't own any of their albums, whats a good first album to get?
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
The Butthole Surfers are the kings of the LSD freakout noise machine music.
I love them so much.
SO MUCH.

I first saw their albums at sound exchange in houston, when I was in high school,a nd the album covers scared me. there is no way to tell what they will sound like from teh covers,a dn they freaked me out pretty bad, just general weirdness. well, after I was 18 and had tried the L...l...l..l...S...s..s...s...D....d...d....d.. my friend Barnaby had a collection of great butthole stuff and he made me a 90 minute mix taope of the best of the butthoile surfers and me and my instigaotr crew would play that tape over and over and over after taking acid. I bought all their albums, I love them. They rock, they frealk you out,a nd yes, they have some of the most dementedly beautiful songs.

To start off on butthole surfer treks, I would suggest, if you come from a more "rock" background in your music tatses, to get PSYCHIC POWERLESS ANOTHER MAN'S SAC, and then HAIRWAY TO STEVEN. Those two are classic and psychic... has my all time fave rocking butthole song, MEXICAN CARAVAN.
hairway has just great great fucking insane songs. people get disturbed, people with weak constitutions are altered.

If you like the noisy freakout end of the musical spectrum, begin with REMBRANDT PUSSYHORSE, or LOCUST ABORTION TECHNICIANS
great fucking records too.

I love all their albums except for PIOUGHED, which was a let down, and the latest one, WEIRD REVOLUTION, which I hated.
Old 05.15.2006, 04:12 PM   #4
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
thanks rob instigator!
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 04:13 PM   #5
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
I've heard Hairway to Steven and wasn't that impressed, so I didn't even listen to the whole album.
Deserves another chance?
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 04:29 PM   #6
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i think hairway to steven fucking sucks. it's boring as hell.

locust abortion technician on the other hand is a masterpiece of sorts.

no, i didn't freakout when i first heard them, i thought they were dumb because the first song i heard by them was pepper, then i watched the video and laughed with it, then started to appreciate the song.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 04:58 PM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
you should have been there when they were doing their thing. noone will ever compare.

hairway to steven takes several listens for the demented beauty and inimitable genius to shien through.

OH, and if you want to hear their early FREAKED OUT SHIT, get LIVE PCP PEP, and BROWN REASON TO LIVE.
I think they sell these first two releases on one CD now.
Old 05.15.2006, 04:58 PM   #8
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

and th butthole surfers ARE DUMB. That is a defining trait! BIG DUMB INSANE ACID-SOAKED MUSIC.
Old 05.15.2006, 05:10 PM   #9
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
dude, i said "the first time i ever listened to them", i didn't know squat about them except for their name. how could i thought "it sounds dumb but i guess that's what they are going for since this gibby haynes character i also know nothing about seems to be a bad trip lsd post hardcore neo freak out rock?"

and so, because of your theory, i shouldn't enjoy 90% of the music i like...furthermore, i wouldn't be able to like any of the music i like because i'm not around when they are doing their thing.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 05:25 PM   #10
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
first time i heard them was on a mixtape this guy gave me cus I gave him some buckfast one night. It was unmarked, no listing or anything and only had 3 bands on it, nirvana, dead kennedys and this weird unknown band. the first few tracks I thought were interesting but not enough to warrant me finding the guy and asking him who it was, the 3rd however was the closest thing I'd heard at that time to the perfect music for me. "chewing george lucas' chocolate/goofy's concern." Real heavy, distorted guitar, rebellious-couldnt-give-a-fuck lyrics and that stupid "chewin chocolate, doggy dropped it" intro. I looked for that guy for a whole week to find out who it was. I bought locust abortion technician as soon as i found out but it was too crazy for my 15/16 yr old ears and I kinda forgot about them.

Then about 2 years later I was over at a friends and he had on Electric Larryland, that blew me away, in my mind these were songs that the beatles might have written if they were about in the 90s, poppy but weird enough to hold my attention. Since then I've learnt to appreciate the earlier noisey stuff just as much as the newer poppier stuff.

Screamingskull, if i were you I'd go for independant worm saloon cus it's kind of the midpoint between noise and pop... in fact, you can get most of the buttholes cds in music zone for £5 to £7
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 05:27 PM   #11
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
that was like an essay or something, meant to add, has anyone heard any Gibby Haynes and his problem? it's pretty good from the few tracks i've heard. I've not heard P though it sounds interesting, gibby, flea and johnny depp
Old 05.15.2006, 05:31 PM   #12
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
you guys should join me at the Butthole Surfers Forum.

http://www.buttholesurfers.org/simp-mach/index.php

my username is the same.
Old 05.15.2006, 09:28 PM   #13
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Hey Pioughd was great. Barking Dogs, and especially Revolution parts 1 and 2 were awesome, with Paul's crazy vocals in the background. Oh and Hurdy Gurdy man, you gotta admit that's an awesome one. But yeah all the Lonesome Bulldog filler tracks were a bit dissapointing, oh and Blind man is a good song. I can't wait to listen to Pioughd this summer while I'm driving across the Mojave Desert.

I find Rembrant Pussyhorse and Locust Abortion Technian to be their Darker albums, especially Rembrandt Pussyhorse/Cream Corn. That one gets so dark, Waiting for Jimmy to Kick, Mark Says Alright, Strangers Die Everyday. Hairway to Steven has always been my fave though, even though it's not really that dark except for the 1st track, it's really super psychadellic and Gibby's melodies are really good.

If you want Butthole Surfers dissappointment, Electric Larry Land and the pile of dogshit known as Weird Revolution. Unfortunately I bought both when they came out simply because it was Butthole Surfers.
Old 05.16.2006, 04:59 AM   #14
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
so tell me, where does independant worm saloon fit in amongst their oevre? i love it simply for "who was in my room last night?" but don't know anything beyond that record, i'm guessing that makes me a straightforwrd rocker type.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 06:01 AM   #15
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
i like independant worm saloon a lot - i figure it's probably their most listenable. i like certain tracks from their catalogue. i had that double live album in high school so i've heard i guess some of their "hits" but i'm not really into drugs anymore so i can't imagine sitting down with an album and getting to know it the way it's meant to be known. i have no doubt that genius lies within, but it's not the type of music you can listen to on your way to work or anything. i have seen them live - once sucked and once was one of the best shows i've ever seen.

i really liked one of their spinoff bands, the jack officers. it was weird but kind of danceable and fun. i don't know if they only put out one album but i only got one album - it was green with a colorful graphic on it.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 07:39 AM   #16
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

why do people hate electric larry land so much? People seem to think that they "sold out" or something with that album, i just think it shows they can write some fucking brilliant pop songs as well as the weird stuff.
Old 05.17.2006, 02:05 AM   #17
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

Independent Worm Saloon was really good. LOTS of good songs on that one specially The Wooden Song, Dancing Fool, Tongue, Strawberry, Dog inside your body, Who was in my room etc. And CLEAN IT UP. I have a friend who has a college radio show and I remember right after he played that he said " I really hope I don't get in trouble for playing that " What a crazy fucking song. The Bambi music in the very beginning makes it even more fucked up. That's why worm saloon was so great, it had some poppier sounding stuff, but it still had the signature Butthole Surfers stuff

Electric Larry land didn't do anything for me. And you ask WHY people don't like it? Come on, it's the Butthole Surfers and they came out with a Bubblegum pop album. It's not like it doesn't have standouts, Let's Talk about cars, Pepper. But mostly it's awful. Like Weird Revolution, fucking awful, but that song Jet Fighter, oooh so freaking good

Heh and to me, I can listen to the Butthole Surfers anytime. Why wouldn't you be able to listen to them on your way to work?
Old 05.17.2006, 10:12 AM   #18
PunkerViolence
stalker

PunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah the butthole surfers are pretty decent. Im listening to Psychic, powerless, another mans sack at the very minute. Quite fucked, if youd ask me.
PunkerViolence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 10:17 AM   #19
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I Love The Butthole Surfers
Old 05.17.2006, 12:45 PM   #20
xpressway2yrskull
little trouble girl

xpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's asses
Hairway to Steven & Independant Worm Saloon are both awesome. Hilarious to see the reactions on people's faces when they ask for an earphone to find out what yr listening to.
xpressway2yrskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth