Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Just black and white...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.30.2009, 08:51 AM   #61
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)

jesus is alright by me...i just hate all that "lets pull these secular people into our beliefs by trying to relate to them on their level"...basically all that "jesus is punk rock stuff". christian punk rock is some of the silliest stuff ive ever heard. who was it..."lust control"...hahaha...tackiest band ever "masterbation is artifical sex!!!!!!".

come on dude, i jerk off and its not a big deal. if god wants to send me to hell for being a person then theres not much i can do about that.

I was not trying to stir up some definition of punk debate. I said he was punk because he caused an uproar and opposed the popular views of his time.

I think that any one trying to sell any sort of music in the name of god is just trying to make automatic profit. Pumping out shit so people will buy it cause it talks about god. BULLSHIT.THey are also selling the wrong messages. They don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

Every band that I tend to like has brought me in with subtle refrences of god in thier lyrics. One of them being Sonic Youth.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2009, 09:16 AM   #62
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
1. Do you think in black and white terms, re: logic, where either it is or it isn't...?
Neither, it's stupid

2. Do you dream in black and white or color?
colour

3. Photography: do you work in, or prefer black and white photography over color?
colour, black and white is mostly corny in this day and age

4. TV or movies: Would you rather watch it in black and white or color?
don't care, but if it's new and in black and white there better be a damn good reason for being so

5. Visual art: do you like to work in, or prefer viewing black and white art over color?
no

6. Clothing: Do you lean toward basic black and white or are you a splashy color dresser?
just whatever, but living in the uk most clothes in general tend to be black or grey

7. Do you believe that black is assoctiated with evil and white signifies all things good and pure?
well, it's not a question of belief, black and white are associated with those things and are used to signify them all the time.

8. And finally, is Jesus black or white...???
i would say he was most likely beige
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2009, 09:46 AM   #63
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I was always raised that it's impolite to give an opinion that might impinge upon a person's particular belief system.

i think this kind of thinking prevents grown up discussion, plus you might say that about your upbringing but there's scant evidence
Old 10.30.2009, 09:52 AM   #64
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
A fair point, except I was taking the piss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2009, 10:19 AM   #65
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
A fair point, except I was taking the piss.

yeah i know, but the first point i made was about stuff that gets on my tits in real life (about myself as much as anyone). and the second point i think is valid whether you're taking the piss or not.
Old 10.30.2009, 11:13 AM   #66
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I have the problem that, while religious sorts often don't help themselves, atheists often have the most weary, half-baked notions of what it is they're opposing. It's not that the content of atheists' arguments are wrong, they just tend to miss the point of what religion and spirituality is and does. What really pisses me off is that the image of poisonous, vile, literalist Americans like the Westboro Baptists entirely distorts the popular image of the complete remainder of religion, or at least Christianity.

That was a joke by the way. Believing in a god that punishes people who believe in a god is...self defeating.

What I don't like in many atheists is that they don't just lack belief in any god/religion but that they define themselves by this opposition to religion. But in what your saying I suppose that's why someone like Nietzsche is so important because he actually addresses the problems in the loss of religion, such as the loss of meaning in life that this entails.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2009, 11:18 AM   #67
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
meaning is human-placed. religion does not have a monolpoly on meaning. They just want you to think they do.
atheism is not about lacking belief. it is about actively and personally accepting the non-existence of supernatural beings that create/shape/and demand praise and worship.
Old 10.30.2009, 11:21 AM   #68
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
I think I might give up on speech. Whenever I say anything people nearly always seem to misunderstand.
Old 10.30.2009, 11:47 AM   #69
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
That was a joke by the way. Believing in a god that punishes people who believe in a god is...self defeating.

What I don't like in many atheists is that they don't just lack belief in any god/religion but that they define themselves by this opposition to religion.

That's the very point of being an atheist, it shouldn't surprise you so much.

But in what your saying I suppose that's why someone like Nietzsche is so important because he actually addresses the problems in the loss of religion, such as the loss of meaning in life that this entails.

Nietzsche can well and truly fuck off, since an atheist worth their salt will understand what life is about as much as someone whose faith is strong, including the importance that religion has in its midst for a lot of people. Seriosuly, that is the sort of bad generalisation about atheists which is no better than ''atheists'' who can't wait to remind everyone how much they hate God, the church etc. In my experience an atheist has to take a constant, lifelong interest in religion/the church (of whichever creed) in order to prove their point in a serious manner.

Also, the assumed ''lack of spirituality'' an atheist is meant to experience by abandoining god is well and truly a myth. You are not abandoning spirituality as such, since that is completely impossible for a person to do, you are abandoning the theory of the big bang, the creation of earth by a superior being, and all the subsequent apparatus that reinforces those theories. You still live, breathe, and have a soul like everyone else.

Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2009, 11:51 AM   #70
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think I might give up on speech. Whenever I say anything people nearly always seem to misunderstand.

So you're saying everyone's too stupid to understand your oh-so-important speech, right? You make me sick to the core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2009, 03:12 PM   #71
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
So you're saying everyone's too stupid to understand your oh-so-important speech, right? You make me sick to the core.

Yes. You understood that so you're above the others.
Old 10.30.2009, 03:13 PM   #72
Lurker
invito al cielo

Alternatively it could just be that I don't express myself clearly.
Old 10.30.2009, 03:36 PM   #73
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:

What I don't like in many atheists is that they don't just lack belief in any god/religion but that they define themselves by this opposition to religion.

That's the very point of being an atheist, it shouldn't surprise you so much.

I mean things like for example these people: "''atheists'' who can't wait to remind everyone how much they hate God, the church etc."

But in what your saying I suppose that's why someone like Nietzsche is so important because he actually addresses the problems in the loss of religion, such as the loss of meaning in life that this entails.

Nietzsche can well and truly fuck off, since an atheist worth their salt will understand what life is about as much as someone whose faith is strong, including the importance that religion has in its midst for a lot of people. Seriosuly, that is the sort of bad generalisation about atheists which is no better than ''atheists'' who can't wait to remind everyone how much they hate God, the church etc. In my experience an atheist has to take a constant, lifelong interest in religion/the church (of whichever creed) in order to prove their point in a serious manner.

What is life about? Are you saying Nietzsche doesn't recognise the importance of religion to people? The opposite is true.

I'm not making a generalisation about atheists. I'm not saying they all feel a loss of meaning.

As an atheist what point about religion am I trying prove? Religious people are making a claim about the world so the burden of proof lies with them, atheists don't have to anything to prove.

Also, the assumed ''lack of spirituality'' an atheist is meant to experience by abandoining god is well and truly a myth. You are not abandoning spirituality as such, since that is completely impossible for a person to do, you are abandoning the theory of the big bang, the creation of earth by a superior being, and all the subsequent apparatus that reinforces those theories. You still live, breathe, and have a soul like everyone else.

How do you define spirituality?

Yes I live and breath but don't know what that has to do with whatever you mean by "spirituality" and I don't know what a "soul" is whatever you would define that as.

I'm not abandoning the theory of big bang.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth