Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Song sounds like a Sonic Youth rip off
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.19.2011, 02:57 AM   #1
TpFox
empty page

TpFox has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
you tube.com/watch?v=r0d4Qe9WIHc (Remove space between u and t on youtube) I can't post links I guess

I just listened to this track and it sounds like a rip off/poor mans Sonic Youth or atleast influenced but it's still pretty cool I guess. The vocals are laughable but it has some decent guitar tones and still cool overall. Atleast people are making stuff like this, better than all the mainstream crap you hear on the radio anyways. What do you guys think?
TpFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2011, 03:03 AM   #2
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
The tags are better than the song itself.
Kiddin.
It definitely has a Daydream Nation-era vibe, and the vocals sounds like Thurston through the whole song and like Kim's towards the end haha.
I think it's a quite deliberate "homage", though.
No hard feelings.
Be free, be happy, eat veggies.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2011, 03:03 AM   #3
TpFox
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
hm? is he a friend of yours?
Yessir, I don't think I would of found this out ha
Old 10.19.2011, 04:31 AM   #4
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Some heavy hints of DDN and the voice becomes gross by 2'50, but i found the track pretty good and could well see the bass and the drums added on top. The transition beteen the two parts is pretty well down, methinks.
Old 10.19.2011, 06:06 AM   #5
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
If you like Sonic Youth, how can this be bad? I loved it.
Sounds pretty DDN-ish.

Hope his guy does some drums and basses to this. Could be something good.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2011, 12:51 PM   #6
TpFox
empty page

Ha my friend saw the comments and he said the vocals were bad he admits, but he did the screaming for fun. But yeah it is pretty DDN I agree.
Old 10.21.2011, 01:33 PM   #7
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Kim should form a band with him
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
it isn't bad. I have no idea what the fuck he was doing at 2:50, honestly made me turn the video off. It does sound like he was trying to emulate sonic youth but I guess it was not to be taken seriously. With that said, he should try to find his own voice and add his own ideas to this. I don't really mind bands that remind me of other bands. Life would be pretty difficult to tolerate if I did.
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2011, 06:40 PM   #9
TpFox
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Kim should form a band with him
Kim's daughter, Coco, should join even though she has her own local band. =o
Old 10.23.2011, 06:13 PM   #10
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_LlFI0EMo

Anchorage by Surfer Blood sounds pretty Youthy. Like, severely Youthy. I like it, though.

Lots of songs sound like SY. I could name some more, but I don't care enough right now.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth