Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SONIC LYRICS - Analysis/Interpretation
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.05.2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
The thread about Thurston's Convolutions got me thinking. I posted my interpretation of DIAMOND SEA, which follows...

The one song that I have studied the lyrics, to try and glean meaning specific, is Diamond Sea. In the many times I have studied it I have come to the conclusion that it is about the act of marriage, the emotions and upheavels caused by the decision to marry someone.

Time takes its crazy toll
and how does your mirror grow
you better watch yourself when you jump into it
'cause the mirror's gonna steal your soul
(I take this to mean that one has "grown-up", and time has taken it's toll. The mirror represents our self image, and it grows as we grow, and as we get older we become that which we pretend to be)

I wonder how it came to be my friend
that someone just like you has come again
you'll never, never know how close you came
until you fall in love with the diamond rain
(as one gets older love seems more dim, yet more surprising when it does come again. The third line I think means one never knows how close despair and loneliness were until one has the comfort and companionship of a true marriage/union)

throw all his trash away
look out he's here to stay
your mirror's gonna crack when he breaks into it
and you'll never never be the same
(this is from the woman's POV. When two people come together it is ussually the lady's tastes that dictate what items that are owned by either are kept, and the men ussually have a lot of crap/old furniture/junk that the woman desires be tossed aside, disposing of something to make something else permanent, for the guy is "here to stay". His tendencies got him the stuff that is being disposed of, so look out becauyse he will gather the same up again later. The mirror/self image is busted because in a true marriage/union one muist present the real self, not the mirror self. Once that is done there is no turning back to the old you.)

look into his eyes and you can see
why all the little kids are dressed in dreams
I wonder how he's gonna make it back
when he sees that you just know it's make-belief
(In every man is a little boy, sometimes well-hidden , sometimes not. That little boy is the dreamer, and exposing that ios tough to a lot of men, which is why the question is asked, for when he knows that you know his true core, you will see his "mirror" is also just make believe.)

blood crystalized as sand
and now I hope you'll understand
you reflected into his looking glass soul
and now the mirror is your only friend
(sand implies the pasisng of time, hourglass style. Blood is life. the joining of two people takes place through time and in time. Understanding this is very important in a true marriage/union for it is not about the NOW anymore, as it is about the ever after. One sees oneself through the eyes of one's lover, and that is why she is reflected in his looking glass soul, magnifying her because of him. The only mirror that exist now is each other, and that is your "only friend" or only true soulmate/partner/spouse)

look into his eyes and you will see
that men are not alone on the diamond sea
sail into the heart of the lonely storm
and tell her that you'll love her eternally
(This is not unique. It happens to all. The lonely storm is ourselves, and marriage/union requires that we enter each others storms, suffer each others hardships and travails. One must see this honestly and be ready to "love her eternally")

time takes its crazy toll
mirror fallin' off the wall
you better look out for the looking glass girl
'cause she's gonna take you for a fall
(time does take it's crazy toll. The mirror/false image is falling off the wall, to break, to become useless and unnecesary. The second two lines point out how a man sometimes feels overwhelmed, for he sees himself in her just like she sees herself in him, and there is always the chance that chaos may ensue.)

look into his eyes and you shall see
why everything is quiet and nothing's free
I wonder how he's gonna make her smile
when love is running wild on the diamond sea
(understanding each other without words, understanding nothing is easy and nothing is free. Love is work. marriage/unions are work. The question remains, how are they going to make each other happy? The eternal question.)

So, I would like to hear what others on the SYG Board think about their fave Sonic Youth lyrics. We all love em, and have lived with the lyrics for years and in some cases, decades, and something must have struck you about a lyric in their "songbook." While Lee tends to either be narrative or fully abstract, Thurston and Kim (since thurston writes many of her lyrics) tend more toward the metaphors and allusion. So what you guys think?????
Old 05.05.2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Reading the lyrics to Shoot, I believe it could be about abusive relationships.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2010, 07:34 PM   #3
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
i think the lyrics to nic fit are deeply meaningfull
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2010, 11:36 PM   #4
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think that one counts as it was a cover.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2010, 12:55 AM   #5
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rob Instigator again.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2010, 02:40 AM   #6
repeater
bad moon rising

repeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's assesrepeater kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the interpretation of the D.S.

I usually donīt read to much into lyrics, but as man that been in the same relationship for almost 15 years, this makes so much sense.

btw, its a good melody to hum at night when trying to get my daughter to fall asleep
repeater is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2010, 03:47 AM   #7
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Excellent write-up Rob.

Kotton Krown is an obvious one; About finding the person you know you'll love forever.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2010, 04:20 AM   #8
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
I admit I was less than thrilled by this interpretation at first glance. This is because I am selfish about my SY. Upon reflecting on the interpretation, I was really glad you posted it. You deserve some reputation, Rob.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2010, 09:20 AM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
as with all interpretation it draws from personal stuff, so it may not apply to all peeps, but I have been ruminating about that fucking song for years and years now...
Old 05.07.2010, 01:15 PM   #10
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
anyone know if thurston actually wrote the words? i've read in several places i admittedly cannot cite that the lyrics were based on lee's concept, but never really saw that clarified...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2010, 01:37 PM   #11
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
I think the mirror represents love and while I can go along with the song being about a relationship the end is teetering on divorce as both partners think about the possibilities of other partners....just my thoughts...
Old 05.07.2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
anyone know if thurston actually wrote the words? i've read in several places i admittedly cannot cite that the lyrics were based on lee's concept, but never really saw that clarified...

I think it's very Thurston-esque but parts do remind me a little bit of Lee wording. I think they might have collaborated, because Unwind also seems like a cross between them.

Hard to think Thurston only has three songs on that record....

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth