Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Beta-Lactam Ring on WTC? 10/13/2007
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.12.2007, 12:59 AM   #1
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I'm posting a little early about What's This Called? this week, because I have a really excellent show lined up for this Saturday, October 13th 2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time on KPSU.

This will actually be Chris McBeth of Beta-Lactam Ring Records' third appearance on What's This Called? since the program relocated to Portland and KPSU two years ago. A cursory glimpse of the playlists in this incarnation of the show will quickly indicate how highly I think of Chris' record label and his taste in music and audio art.

BLR is the home of releases by such critically acclaimed international artists as Legendary Pink Dots, Green Milk from the Planet Orange, Nurse With Wound, Coil, Volcano the Bear, Waldteufel, Andrew Liles, Orbit Service, and Portland's own Daniel Menche and Soriah. The label's diverse line-up covers all extremes of the psychedelic and experimental without ever once falling into the pit of predictability. Chris has incredibly high standards about what he puts out in terms of content, packaging, and even the vinyl his old school records are pressed on (he does cds too, but rarely if ever with standard jewel-boxes, his releases are much more serious artifacts).

As always the show will STREAM LIVE FROM THE KPSU WEBSITE all over the world as well as have the traditional radio outlets of:

1450 AM in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
98.3 FM on the Portland State University campus

Chris will be premiering scads of new releases and in fact GIVING SEVERAL AWAY, so memorize the studio phone #: (503) 725-5945!
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2007, 01:34 AM   #2
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Great stuff!
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2007, 09:41 AM   #3
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Mr. McBeth and his BLRR label is doing some great things with today's music. Back a few months ago when he was on your show, I scored a free Ka-spel CD (so thanks Dead-Air for that opportunity). If Chris brings it (or if you have some in your collection), please play anything by, Anakrid. I ordered a cd this past summer, but there was some sort of pressing problem and it's been pushed back a few months. No problem at all, but I would like to hear an entire track instead of listening to "clips" on the BLRR site.

Thanks for taking the time to play such great musick......

Cool, I'll try to remember to pass on the request (unfortunately running out the door to work right now.) Glad to hear somebody acted on his last free CD offer; sometimes these things happen behind the scenes and I don't even know about it.
Old 10.12.2007, 08:53 PM   #4
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Bytor - I passed on the request, we'll see if he gets the e-mail in time.
Old 10.13.2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Chris will be here in a half hour, however I have started the show early to play some other stuff! Pre-Game Show Here!
Old 10.17.2007, 06:40 AM   #6
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the tip. Anakrid sure is sublime. As for Andrew Liles... I'm speechless. His website has some amazing content.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2007, 09:28 PM   #7
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang for Saturday 10/13/2007 from Noon to 1 PM (with and 11 AM to Noon Pre-Game Show) Pacific Time on KPSU.

1450 AM in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
98.1 FM on the Portland State University campus

I apologize for this playlist going out so late, but I had hoped to include a link to be able to download the Pre-Game Show, which unfortunately doesn't appear to be happening. It would be a disservice to my excellent guest on the actual program Chris McBeth of Beta-lactam Ring Records for me to hold off any longer!

DOWNLOAD THE SHOW AS MP3 OR PLAY STREAM HERE!!

Artist - Song/Track - Album - Recording Label (italics indicate during the Pre-Game Show rather than regular program)

Sonic Youth - "Invito Al Cielo" - SYR 3 - SYR
Strings of Consciousness - "Asphodel (featuring Jim Thirwell)" - Our Moon is Full - Central Control
Eric Ostrowski - "Flourishing Spikily Beneath" - Magnificent Forest - indie
Eric Dahlman - "Pahasteteeko" - Riped Echo - indie
Hawkwind - "Master of the Universe" - In Search of Space - One Way Records
Hans Grusel's Krankenkabinet - "Moog System 15 Variation Two" - Happy as Pitch - C.I.P.
Alice Shields - "Apocolypse, An Electronic Opera" - CRI The Composer-Performer Forty Years of Discovery - CRI

Edward Ka-Spel - "Hotel Blanc" - Eyes! China Doll - Beta-lactam Ring Records
Anakrid - "TBA" - Banished Rituals of the Disenlightened - Beta-lactam Ring Records
George & Caplin - "Highway Driveway" - He Really Got Through to Advertising... - Beta-lactam Ring Records
Un Festin Sagital - "Epitafioala Permanencia" - Epitafioala Permaanencia - Beta-Lactam Ring
Andrew Liles - "Blue Mango" - Black Pool - Beta-lactam Ring Records
Volcano the Bear - "Splendid Goose" - Amidst the Noise and Twigs - Beta-lactam Ring Records
Seven That Spells - "Man from Dystopia" - Man from Dystpoia - Beta-lactam Ring Records
Edward Ka-Spel - "Harvester" - Dream Logik 1 - Beta-lactam Ring Records

Now, it's time for this weeks show, Streaming Live a scant 17 hours from when I write this!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth