Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page best free text html editor?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.21.2010, 02:34 PM   #21
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink.
wasnt having a go at using/creating templates, just dreamweaver to edit them/change the parts you dont like if you are using someone elses.

yeah, that's dependence on the software & can be a bitch to change, though search/replace can still work, esp. since their template tags are marked individually, it's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
The templates feature can be nice if someone's REALLY used to using it, but myself and everyone I know usually don't have a problem just duplicating one source file many times to define different templates.

I don't know how they do it these days since I avoid DW, but my impression from the CS3 version wasn't too too great. Adobe pwns with Photoshop and Illustrator. When they dabble with code, I've never liked their results

it's not the code i like (i code all by hand, autocoding from WYSIWYG can eat a dick), it's just the ease of managing files & multiple sites from one panel.

every now & then i just use cyberduck + text editor though .
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2010, 02:36 PM   #22
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
On mac, I would highly recommend buying Coda if you're a more-than-casual coder. One of the best $100 I ever spent. Support is great, it's a no-bullshit program (no WYSIWYG or useless tools like Dreamweaver has), lightweight, beautiful.

oh, i wanna see this, thanks for the link

true about the bazillion useless tools in DW--i use prolly 5% of the whole program.
Old 10.21.2010, 02:37 PM   #23
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
what I meant was I used to find the way dreamweaver handled opening/viewing/editing multiples to do this really clumsy and too many clicks. Honestly I haven't used it in 8 years though I was so turned off.

Haha, that's what I found with most stuff on windows. That's why I use Notepad++ on my win partition . And on mac, Coda is purdy.

Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2010, 02:41 PM   #24
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh, i wanna see this, thanks for the link

No prob!

I almost sound like a salesman for them, but everything that Panic released that I have I'm really happy with, and it can be hard to find software that has all the features you want.

I asked them once if they'd ever make graphics programs, but they're sticking to productivivity/coding/workflow stuff for now.
Old 10.21.2010, 02:43 PM   #25
ink.
the end of the ugly

ink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Haha, that's what I found with most stuff on windows. That's why I use Notepad++ on my win partition . And on mac, Coda is purdy.

nice!!
ink. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2010, 02:46 PM   #26
ink.
the end of the ugly

ink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yeah, that's dependence on the software & can be a bitch to change, though search/replace can still work, esp. since their template tags are marked individually, it's possible.

I think Im a bit of a weirdo, because until I'm done I tend to fuck around with multiple pages looking at different views, and when I'm happy I consolidate and name all my sections and only then move the css into a seperate file. :/

I chage my mind all the time and have the seperate pages looking different to switch between until I decide.
Old 10.21.2010, 02:47 PM   #27
ink.
the end of the ugly

Quote:
I asked them once if they'd ever make graphics programs, but they're sticking to productivivity/coding/workflow stuff for now.

I honestly think that shitty programs get made when people try to 'branch out' too far from what they are good at. adobe, google, microsoft etc..
Old 10.21.2010, 02:48 PM   #28
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
No prob!

I almost sound like a salesman for them, but everything that Panic released that I have I'm really happy with, and it can be hard to find software that has all the features you want.

i havent updated my DW since i moved from pc to mac & didn't wanna pay for their cross-platform upgrade, since i no longer do this for money (taking care of clients is too high maintenance)-- so i've been running DW from bootcamp to check on my sites. this might just be what i need. im DLing one of their old versions to see if i can run it.
Old 10.21.2010, 02:49 PM   #29
ink.
the end of the ugly

dw is the gay. I would suggest anything but. heh.
Old 10.21.2010, 02:52 PM   #30
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I think Im a bit of a weirdo, because until I'm done I tend to fuck around with multiple pages looking at different views, and when I'm happy I consolidate and name all my sections and only then move the css into a seperate file. :/

I chage my mind all the time and have the seperate pages looking different to switch between until I decide.

wow, that sounds headache-inducing. i'm a stickler for a content -> structure -> style workflow, otherwise i end up hurting the time/money equation in a horrible way.

i used to love zeldman's designing w/ web standards 2nd edition, so just based on that i'd recommend the 3rd if you say you need to "nerd up".
Old 10.21.2010, 02:53 PM   #31
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
i havent updated my DW since i moved from pc to mac & didn't wanna pay for their cross-platform upgrade, since i no longer do this for money (taking care of clients is too high maintenance)-- so i've been running DW from bootcamp to check on my sites. this might just be what i need. im DLing one of their old versions to see if i can run it.

I'm nearly in the same boat as you man. I rarely take on contracts anymore, as running all aspects - design, code, management, accounting, promo, etc... drains waaayyy too much time. I work as a manager for an e-commerce company now and get paid by the minute, and it's work from home, so I'm happy with this.

Yeah, I find Coda doesn't differ too much from version to version, because they don't want to bog it down with features. You should be good with an older one
Old 10.21.2010, 02:55 PM   #32
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
wow, that sounds headache-inducing. i'm a stickler for a content -> structure -> style workflow, otherwise i end up hurting the time/money equation in a horrible way.

i used to love zeldman's designing w/ web standards 2nd edition, so just based on that i'd recommend the 3rd if you say you need to "nerd up".

Good call, Zeldman is a BAWSE! I couldn't imagine hiring Happy Cog for a project... $75,000 starting price.
Old 10.21.2010, 02:56 PM   #33
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
dw is the gay. I would suggest anything but. heh.

when i had a bunch of clients it was great to back up their site definition files in a remote storage & rebuild in case of catastrophe. also when migrating computers.

i still like DW's site management functions-- very powerful if you run a ton of sites. it's not a "coding" program proper-- well, it is supposed to be, but i don't need it's coding functions.

workspace layouts have also evolved a lot since 8 years ago. the cs5 trial i used had a lot of options. again, only worth the money if you run a bunch of sites.
Old 10.21.2010, 02:57 PM   #34
ink.
the end of the ugly

Quote:

mine is all for funsies really, and aesthetics/content are the same reason behind what I do, so time/money isn't worked out the same way :P
Old 10.21.2010, 02:59 PM   #35
ink.
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Happy Cog for a project... $75,000 starting price.

yeeehaww!
Old 10.21.2010, 03:01 PM   #36
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
again, only worth the money if you run a bunch of sites.

yeah, the $600 price tag is steep. I can see how it can be worth it for large companies that are hardcore pro-adobe and utilize most of the functionality DW provides.

One thing I do like about DW is it's class/ID detection, reminds me of NetBeans. Also the color selector that pops up after typing in "color:" or "background-color:" was a nifty addition
Old 10.21.2010, 03:02 PM   #37
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
mine is all for funsies really, and aesthetics/content are the same reason behind what I do, so time/money isn't worked out the same way :P

oh, i thought you were looking to make some coin. i don't know why i assumed that.
Old 10.21.2010, 03:06 PM   #38
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah, the $600 price tag is steep. I can see how it can be worth it for large companies that are hardcore pro-adobe and utilize most of the functionality DW provides.

One thing I do like about DW is it's class/ID detection, reminds me of NetBeans. Also the color selector that pops up after typing in "color:" or "background-color:" was a nifty addition

it's the same color selector as PS, and if you run that in the background simply request that it displays the RGB in hex code. i mean if you miss it. well of course you already know this. just a contribution to the thread, ha ha ha.
Old 10.21.2010, 03:08 PM   #39
ink.
the end of the ugly

Quote:
oh, i thought you were looking to make some coin. i don't know why i assumed that.

it's just our art/creative website. maybe one day! but there is no client but us.
Old 10.21.2010, 03:19 PM   #40
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
but there is no client but us.

And that's when the best, optimal results shine through in projects .

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth