Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Do you believe in ghosts?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.14.2010, 01:22 AM   #81
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
why is it with all the technology we have at our disposal and the likes of shows (in the uk at least) of ghosthunters has no one any evidence of the existence of ghosts? you'd think that someone somewhere would have got some decent evidence of them right? but it seems that most 'sightings' happen when people are alone and they never seem to get to the camera in time.

This.
Old 10.14.2010, 01:51 AM   #82
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

I WANT TO BELIEVE.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 02:24 AM   #83
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Something that isn't proven nor disproved to me remains unknown. just because i haven't seen something, doesn't mean i will rule out it exists, as crazy as it may sound to anyone else, but thats what i think. i never understood why people get defensive when someone believes in something you dont. its like religion, ive seen so many people complain about having someone elses religion shoved down their throat, directly being told they should believe in god, and that same person goes ahead and does the same back to someone else, repeatedly telling them that its all a fairytale and it isnt true and they should realize it. that seems very hypocritical to me... id be fine if it could be as simple as just disagreeing instead of attacking someone who thinks differently. i know its a bit off topic but...

you are not fucking getting the point.

There is 0% objective evidence for God, Ghosts, Souls, Aliens, Dragons, Luck and Elvis still being alive... but people are still pompous and stupid enough to claim that there is indeed objective evidence to support that they exist and are real. THIS IS FUCKING LUDICROUS IN THE YEAR 2010.

FOR FUCK'S SAKE PEOPLE. get a fucking grip on reality already.

FUCK!
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 02:32 AM   #84
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i was not directing that to you, and clearly you didnt understand my point. saying you believe there is a god is different than saying there is evidence. and just because there isnt evidence for something doesnt mean people cant have the right to believe in it, and saying that they cant would be hypocritical if youre someone who doesnt like to have religion shoved down your throat either.

Just because something remains "unknown" doesn't give it any god damn credence man. I can believe that there is a omnipresent flying spaghetti monster that created the universe. That doesn't make it any more credible than the chestershire cat in Alice in fucking Wonderland.

Religion impacts all of us EVERY MOTHERFUCKING DAY just because people fucking "believe" in something for NO FUCKING REASON. FUCK THAT SHIT. It is getting fucking old and preventing peace. TIME TO SAY NO NO NO to that petty fucking belief shit.

GET SOME FUCKING KNOWLEDGE INSTEAD. FUCK FUCK FUCK
Old 10.14.2010, 02:55 AM   #85
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
who you gonna call?
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 03:48 AM   #86
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Hevusa!
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 05:25 AM   #87
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
to be honest there are pretty good evidences of something, but people are quick to dismiss them. Now, that's not to say that MOST ghost stories aren't bullshit. And this "take a picture of a ghost" is quite silly. Like I said, you'd have to define what a ghost is first.

Lots of paranormal activity that we cannot understand are widely accepted in investigations and even in court, I've seen lots of these cases. They are real, but whoever isn't comfortable with admitting we don't know shit is always really quick to dismiss these cases.

We know very little about "reality" and "time" and it's pretentious to dismiss something like that. We must remember that we did (collectively) the same thing to lots of ideas that seemed absurd and are now proven as facts.

A lot of serious scientists have put thought and effort into this, but this just shows it's not an area of interest for most of you - which is completely fine since it's far from being a relevant area of studies at the moment.

But you don't have to make yourselves sound silly by "if you don't believe the same thing as me, then "OH GOD you're crazy" cop out.

Let's define What is a ghost first?

Also, this is has NOTHING to do with religion.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 05:29 AM   #88
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
There's always going to be those who believe in God, simply because people (in general) aren't comfortable w/ "not knowing". Like Knox said (probably one of few things I agree with her on), it's OK not to know. Far too many people fail to realize this. It's easy to have faith in a higher power and use this faith as a means of explaining absolutely everything. Most that believe in God believe in an after life, which means there are going to be many that believe in ghosts and all sorts of things that have (sorry genetickiss) no place in science or in the lives of those that choose not to believe in things that can not be scientifically proven.

Thankfully, less and less people are buying into this stuff as we are (slowly) beginning to understand how this world around us works. No reason to blame the stormy weather on whatever given god anymore.

People (again, in general) have never been comfortable w/ death, either. Most want to believe in an afterlife, especially one where there is still a sense of self awareness. In my mind I can see how this is (most likely...) bullshit, but most refuse to accept the possibility that death likely just means "lights out".

People live their entire lives thinking their actions will have some effect on what happens to them when they die.

"there could be a green dragon in my trashcan, but something tells me there isn't."
Old 10.14.2010, 05:36 AM   #89
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Saying ghosts exist does not entail any belief in afterlife necessarily.

Anyway, there are good evidences. Like I said, cases used in court, investigations and whatnot. A lot of people might go there and tell you a story that indeed happened, but if you're too threatened by it you'll go to the extent of saying the whole story is a lie and you will ignore any evidence that shows there is SOMETHING you don't know.

It's like telling someone back then the earth isn't flat, really.

But either way, it's far from being relevant in our list of priorities.

Old 10.14.2010, 05:48 AM   #90
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

And it's not like saying the earth is flat....that was something (thankfully) we had the tools to disprove. The superstitious mind believed the earth was flat and dropped into a pit full of demons....basically the same sort of people that believe in ghost (and sorry knox, there is no evidence...if so, please present it). The skeptical mind proved the earth is round. Just like the skeptical mind proved that bad weather doesn't equate to an angry god.
Old 10.14.2010, 05:54 AM   #91
knox
invito al cielo

Like I said, I have plenty of evidence. But if I tell you, you'll say I'm making it up - so it'd be pointless and I really couldn't care less.

Old 10.14.2010, 05:55 AM   #92
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
Like I said, I have plenty of evidence. But if I tell you, you'll say I'm making it up - so it'd be pointless and I really couldn't care less.

Well, if it's disputable then it's likely not worth posting...I agree.
Old 10.14.2010, 05:57 AM   #93
knox
invito al cielo

It's not, but you'll say it is. Somehow, you'll ignore all facts to carry on believing what you do. I often find that disbelief requires as much faith as belief. But, it's shower time now.

Old 10.14.2010, 06:15 AM   #94
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
It's not, but you'll say it is. Somehow, you'll ignore all facts to carry on believing what you do. I often find that disbelief requires as much faith as belief. But, it's shower time now.

You and your assumptions. How does one live like that?
Old 10.14.2010, 06:19 AM   #95
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
she's making GHOSTS.
she's so happy
ball room dancing
spinning
falling ghosts
real ghosts
lonely for forever
real ghosts
didn't ask to be...
all her goodness
all her goodness
pray she doesn't make you
pray she doesn't
or anyone you know

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 07:15 AM   #96
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
And it's not like saying the earth is flat....that was something (thankfully) we had the tools to disprove. The superstitious mind believed the earth was flat and dropped into a pit full of demons....basically the same sort of people that believe in ghost (and sorry knox, there is no evidence...if so, please present it). The skeptical mind proved the earth is round. Just like the skeptical mind proved that bad weather doesn't equate to an angry god.

It's correct that at the time that people widely believed in a flat earth they didn't have the tools to prove or disprove otherwise, but then it's also true now that we don't have any widely accepted tools to prove or disprove what a ghost is, whether they "exist" and why it might be that even though there are no cold hard facts regarding what they are there is the cold hard fact that people all over the world have been claiming to have seen them for thousands of years. Who is to say whether at some point in the future science will make discoveries only imaginable to us now that might settle this issue?

Anyway, I saw a "ghost" when I was about 10 years old, it was in the middle of the afternoon and outdoors, I saw a small old man pass through a locked door.

But knox is right about defining the word "ghost", and we can say that if "ghost" is used as some kind of equivalent to UFO (i.e. unidentified flying object, and objects that fly and are unidentified obviously do exist) as meaning some kind of unidentified apparition or apparent non-corporeal entity then we can go on from there.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 07:23 AM   #97
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
Did your Dad see them? Probably not.
There is a reason those ghosts shows have been on tv for years and years now and nothing of value has ever been presented.
You were dozing off for a split second in front of the TV during supper dear. There are no such thing as ghosts.

What you're suggesting is that Chicka is either unable to tell the difference from being asleep or being awake, or differentiate a dream from reality? I've never met or heard of anyone else suffering from this almost certainly completely incapacitating affliction.
Old 10.14.2010, 08:15 AM   #98
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:

Yeah, but skepticism means suspending judgement until a point has been proven, and hevusa is not suspending judgement at all.

Generally speaking I think a lot of people mistake skepticism to mean being closed minded to anything that goes against what is accepted by mainstream thought.
Old 10.14.2010, 08:20 AM   #99
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
You and your assumptions. How does one live like that?

Quite well, thanks for asking.

Old 10.14.2010, 09:33 AM   #100
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
believing and knowing are two different things, thats what you continuously keep overlooking.

Right, believing FUCKS SHIT UP because it is baseless. But knowledge is power. In other words the people on this planet would be more powerful if they stopped making up stupid shit like ghosts, god and luck. Then I could go buy a bottle of booze on a Sunday or hear curse words on television. GO FIGURE!

More and more people are realizing what a huge negative impact "believers" are having on actual reality these days (yes, "believing" actually changes reality and the world around even the non believer).

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth