Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Am I The Only Person In The World Who Actually Likes U2's New Album?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.15.2014, 12:31 AM   #1
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
There's so much hate related to the corporate release / music as spam philosophy, and I'm wondering if anyone actually listened to the fucking thing? The last thing I am is a U2 defender, but THIS IS A VERY GOOD ALBUM.
Old 09.15.2014, 01:04 AM   #2
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's nice that they gave their album away for free but I haven't listened to it yet though. I used to be a big fan of their early work and still do like some of it. Wasn't keen on the more recent albums though...

I don't get all the hate towards them...

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2014, 01:39 AM   #3
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
i got turned off by it when it was forced on me. deleted it from my pod
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2014, 12:46 PM   #4
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think it actually was forced on me... I've got Mac and iPods up the ass, plus iPhones and iPod touches, iPads and pretty much everything else that starts with an i, but I don't see any U2 anywhere.

I was a fan of their early material, everything up to and including Unforgettable Fire, buy but that was eons ago. I consider their last few albums to be the absolute definition of boring. Boring fucking shit.

Would anything about this new piece of shit boring ass album be any different than the rest? I don't know, and won't know because i don't plan on listening.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2014, 01:09 PM   #5
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
If you are a huge established musical act, 90% of your money comes from concerts and such, not from album sales. It makes sense for the already rich and powerful bands to market their new music this way.

around $400.00 a concert ticket, on average, will make U2 so much money.

I just get tired of watching him make the "Jesus" pose in every video.
Old 09.15.2014, 03:12 PM   #6
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
If you are a huge established musical act, 90% of your money comes from concerts and such, not from album sales. It makes sense for the already rich and powerful bands to market their new music this way.

around $400.00 a concert ticket, on average, will make U2 so much money.

I just get tired of watching him make the "Jesus" pose in every video.

Here's my thing: why do they still give a fuck about marketing and making money, etc? Even with the universally low opinion of their last several albums, those assholes are rich as fuck, and they never won't be. They don't need to do shit like this.

Then again, Jay-Z didn't need to release his album for free, AND convince Billboard that Google Play's use of the app software should be considered "shipped units" in order to score his umpteenth #1 platinum album either... But he sure as hell did.

The difference: Jay Z is Jay Z. U2 is ... I don't even know. They could have/ should have ended their career so many times. Why they're determined to "fade away" is beyond me.
Old 09.15.2014, 03:52 PM   #7
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't care to have U2's new album, when I heard that they were releasing it through iTunes I thought the albumin automatically went into your iTunes library, but for me you had to go to the iTunes store and click on the free button, which I chose not to, so if its optional to put the album into your iTunes why all the stories from people that it showed up automatically to their library?
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2014, 04:31 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I actually really liked How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb so ill check this out even if the edge is a total prick and bono a bonobo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2014, 04:34 PM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
I didn't care to have U2's new album, when I heard that they were releasing it through iTunes I thought the albumin automatically went into your iTunes library, but for me you had to go to the iTunes store and click on the free button, which I chose not to, so if its optional to put the album into your iTunes why all the stories from people that it showed up automatically to their library?

Dave Markey had it show up right into his itunes library.

I use analog platters of vinyl plastic, so Apple can't touch me
Old 09.15.2014, 04:44 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Here's my thing: why do they still give a fuck about marketing and making money, etc? Even with the universally low opinion of their last several albums, those assholes are rich as fuck, and they never won't be. They don't need to do shit like this.
you're answering your own question here, that they dont need to do it cuz they wipe the jizz off supermodel's backs with $1000 bills is precisely why they still put out records and tour. It isnt about the money anymore, they have enough already to do whatever they feel like doing..
Quote:

The difference: Jay Z is Jay Z. U2 is ... I don't even know. They could have/ should have ended their career so many times. Why they're determined to "fade away" is beyond me.
dude your bias is showing. Really, who the fuck is jay z? Just another artist 15 years past his prime releasing records to appeal to growing expendable incomes of former teenagers who have become the nostalgia market. In all actuality id wager that globally U2 are still bigger and their discography more relevant than JayZ sans Beyonce jay z hasnt made a culturally impacting record in over a decade, probably about the same sized gap as since U2 last released one! So meh to JayZ over U2, im not a fan of either, and bono vs jayZ are in a dead heat tie for biggest self aggrandizing douche bag's of the 21st century!

Old 09.15.2014, 06:27 PM   #11
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion

I was just about to say "yeah what's up with that?" because I hadn't seen it on my MacBook this morning, and figured if it wasn't there it wouldn't be anywhere.

Then I decided to check my phone's index of music.. You know, just for kicks. If you turn it to landscape a graphic grid of all your albums (based on whatever you're looking at at the time... Genre, composer, whatever, artist, album etc) pops up and you can scan through it or pinch and pull to make sections bigger.

... Son of a bitch. I've been Bono'd.
Old 09.15.2014, 06:31 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:

... Son of a bitch.

Now, Now, lets not say things we don't mean

Old 09.15.2014, 07:02 PM   #13
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Give me a free U2 album over Jay Z any day. If it had been a Jay Z album I would have no interest in it whatsoever as I can't think of a single thing I like of his.... U2 have made good music in the past so I will probably give this a listen at some point...

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2014, 07:10 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to stu666 again.

Old 09.15.2014, 07:19 PM   #15
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
What if Pharrell was fucking Iggy Azalea? or if Danny Brown was fucking Luke Brian? or Beck fucking that Wiz? or Asap Rocky killing that Katty Perry poon?

But it's just a sweet sweet fantasy baby
When i close my eyes
You come and you take me
On and on and on
So deep in my daydreams
But it's just a sweet sweet fantasy, baby.

so hot!!
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2014, 03:21 PM   #16
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to stu666 again.

Hey, f**k you Nate Dogg.

Seriously though I didn't realize you hated Jay-Z so much. I guess I didn't know you hated him at all. But... Damn...

Stu666- You are constantly repping artists & albums that I love, and when you're not, you're talking about or listening to records I don't know yet, but run out and buy after you rep them, and fall in love with after the first spin.

So I'm quite appalled to hear you insult Jay-Z, and relegate him to sub-U2 territory... A place that I didn't think existed any more. Makes me sad.
Old 09.16.2014, 03:27 PM   #17
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
U2 have made good music in the past so I will probably give this a listen at some point...

My daughter was playing it on her iphone yesterday and I heard one track. Always interested in anything Brian Eno is part of......yet I don't think ENO plays any part in the new U2......very little Flood as well, so we shall see......or is that, hear?
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2014, 03:28 PM   #18
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Hey, f**k you Nate Dogg.

Quote:
Seriously though I didn't realize you hated Jay-Z so much. I guess I didn't know you hated him at all. But... Damn...

Old 09.16.2014, 05:44 PM   #19
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
How kind of them. Fuck off.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2014, 04:05 PM   #20
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I was disappointed in not seeing the new album on my phone....oh well...
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth