Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Just heard deerhunter for the first time.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.05.2010, 08:41 PM   #101
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, kinn. <3 you, bro.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2010, 10:06 PM   #102
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
how much better is a 7.1 than a 7?
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2010, 10:19 PM   #103
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
Editor's Note: This review contains a list of the various names that have been used to describe the music of SALEM and/or other similar artists, among them "drag" and "witch house." It originally also listed "rape gaze", a term coined by Michigan band CREEP, as formerly listed on their MySpace and reported in the New York Press. The band today disowned the phrase and will no longer be using it, expressing to The Village Voice, they "would never want to advocate sexual violence against any human being. It was a play on words which we never expected to be used as an actual genre."

so evidently pitchfork tried to namedrop a non-existent genre with a despicable name in an attempt to be hipsters, then decided to remove the term rape-gaze...not because it's innapropriate or because it isn't a real genre, but because other hipsters(in this case a presumably shit musical formation) decided it was innapropriate and not a real genre
Old 12.05.2010, 11:27 PM   #104
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
Editor's Note: This review contains a list of the various names that have been used to describe the music of SALEM and/or other similar artists, among them "drag" and "witch house." It originally also listed "rape gaze", a term coined by Michigan band CREEP, as formerly listed on their MySpace and reported in the New York Press. The band today disowned the phrase and will no longer be using it, expressing to The Village Voice, they "would never want to advocate sexual violence against any human being. It was a play on words which we never expected to be used as an actual genre."

so evidently pitchfork tried to namedrop a non-existent genre with a despicable name in an attempt to be hipsters, then decided to remove the term rape-gaze...not because it's innapropriate or because it isn't a real genre, but because other hipsters(in this case a presumably shit musical formation) decided it was innapropriate and not a real genre

they wouldn't be hipsters if they didn't follow other hipsters, broseph.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2010, 05:20 AM   #105
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinn
hey guys. i found something that can unite us all together, deerhunter lovers and haters alike.

what do you get when you take - 1 group of idiots with synths + crack addiction + hipsters and journos who know how to hype?

you get the death of fucking music.

i shouldn't laugh, because in the last few moments of their lives, when these idiots die of their crack addictions, they will look back on the "good times" and be so utterly disgusted and embarrassed as they remember this performance their brains will just send the message "fuck it, just stop beating dude" to their hearts.

i disliked this band before i saw that video which was the first time i've ever heard them. i disliked them because of this puke inducing article

Nestled among deliberately amateurish photos of blowjobs and hipster junkies at the Museo Universitario del Chopo was a cluster of photos entitled “Hidden Valley.” Ugly teens rode BMXs, fucked around with paintball guns, popped pills and smacked one another with a stick in a barren field between a parking lot and a housing development. Suddenly, in the middle of Mexico City, I was back at home in the suburban wastelands of the Midwest. I knew this “space of anarchy” well; not specifically of course, but generically, and absolutely. Away from parents, teachers and cops, Hidden Valley is the type of place you can experiment with adolescent stupidity as you futilely resist the first onset of Middle America ennui.

I think the wastoids in Salem know it too. They’re officially from Chicago, but I know better. White kids are rarely “from” Chicago. Instead, they’re usually refugees from crappy Midwestern suburbs and dying towns, desperately in search of culture but finding only public transit and better drugs. Salem’s music—a hazy, loping, lo-fi electro—fits that rudderless Rust Belt existence as guilelessly and artlessly as a glassy stare. I can’t say it’s good per se, but it speaks to me. And probably others—there are many of our breed, born under Reagan into a world where our destinies have already been mortgaged. Not “no future” in the cool Johnny Rotten rallying cry sense, but “no future” in that withdrawn, hopeless, Gummo type of way. Not sexy or cool. Not even sad. But maybe a little scary.

This is why the music of Salem speaks more to me than that of more polished, professional and literate indie bands to which my white college-educated self should be demographically attracted. Instead of presenting a simulacrum of a time when people believed that rock could offer world-altering truth, change hearts and minds, and soundtrack youthful romances, Salem delivers the starkness of what neoliberalism has left us—drugs and death. Instead of nostalgia, whether painful or idealized, you’ve got numbed verses like “It’s hard to remember / What we did last November.” There’s not even any sex: Salem’s music is too slow for the club and too weird for the bedroom. As Holland says, “Sex has nothing to do with making music,” and anyway, the antidepressants have robbed him of his libido. I think Salem’s conscious of the distinction between their music and the more entitled upper middle class fantasies of their peers. At a disastrous show for the privileged Twitterati of SXSW, they played their music from a recording while smoking a cigarette in front of footage of a car-crash. This isn’t simple épater le bourgeoisie, it’s more inward-focused and nihilistic than that. When the ruling class is as insulated and unresponsive as it is today, why bother with a fuck you? Might as well get high.

YEAH CUZ OF NEO LIBERALISM LETS SMOKE CRACK AND EXPRESS OUR 'ARTISTIC' BOREDOM. COZ ITS LIKE. IF WE DARED TO HOPE, OBAMA WOULDN'T LISTEN MANNNN.

epitome of hipster bullshit.

I dunno, I love Water and Frost Eps, the album isn't bad either imo, in that live vid seems pretty obvious to me that the sound guy who recorded the tracks messed things pretty good, sounds like a BAD soundboard recording, I honestly doubt you can say it's their fault.
That said, there's a good chance they suck live anyways, but that's true for loads of band who make records.

Besides, I can't think of anything more hipsteric than getting your opinions on a band you never heard influenced by hipster articles and use a badly recorded youtube video as an evidence to prove your point.

"teh tube says am rite!"

p.s. lemme add their stage presence is almost at Romeroic levels.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2010, 05:27 AM   #106
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, yeh, watched Conan, Deerhunter at the end, kinda liked some of the "sounds" but the song was nothing too special.
Creepy singer. Lots of smoke on the stage.
Old 12.06.2010, 06:01 AM   #107
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
Dude....wtf? He seems like a wonderfully nice fellow to me, but really I don't give a fuck.....it's about the music, Man.....the music!!!

I've been fortunate enough to see Bradford a total of 3 times. Twice after a show (Deerhunter), once wondering around an Atlanta record store (Criminal Records) before a Sonic Youth gig that was to take place later that night. Only spoke with him after those two Deerhunter shows....and he was super nice. Was very talkative and thankful for the support. Should also add that this was several years ago ("Turn It Up, Faggot" was new at the time), before the band blew up, and his demeanor may be a bit different now (honestly, I wouldn't know).

I'm not a serious fan, but I've read a few interviews. He comes off as being blatantly honest when he discusses his life, medical condition (marfan syndrome), sexuality, etc. I can appreciate that.

I honestly find him more interesting than I find his music. I loved "Turn it up..", but most of everything else I've heard (including the Atlas Sound stuff) has failed in catching my interest.

Either way, I think he's a figure that will be around a while. Wouldn't surprise me if he eventually reaches an "iconic" status. He'll no doubt outlive the current "indie" trend.
Old 12.06.2010, 03:10 PM   #108
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Bradford cruised me on the F train in NYC once. He was with the really cute guitarist. They got off at 34th street.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2010, 03:15 PM   #109
kinn
the destroyed room

kinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
Besides, I can't think of anything more hipsteric than getting your opinions on a band you never heard influenced by hipster articles and use a badly recorded youtube video as an evidence to prove your point.

"teh tube says am rite!"

i don't get this at all.

i disliked them both before i heard them and when i heard them.

i am consistent in my dislike.

unless you are suggesting some kind of "don't dare judge anything until you've heard it for the sake of relativism" argument which i would dismiss outright.

i dismiss things before i even read articles about them all the time.

it's called not wanting to know about shit you don't want to know about.

altho perhaps i am pyschic.

because, do you know, this is astounding, but i actually do possess the ability to determine that a band is shit without hearing their music!

i know, its insane. but look - watch - i typed "music" into google news search and the first thing that came up was http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/soundof/2011/artists/

and i know all these bands are shit without having heard them!

PYSCHIC.
kinn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2010, 03:21 PM   #110
kinn
the destroyed room

kinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asses
Puh Sci Chic.
Old 12.06.2010, 03:35 PM   #111
nicfit
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinn
i don't get this at all.

i disliked them both before i heard them and when i heard them.

i am consistent in my dislike.

i dismiss things before i even read articles about them all the time.

it's called not wanting to know about shit you don't want to know about.
altho perhaps i am pyschic.

because, do you know, this is astounding, but i actually do possess the ability to determine that a band is shit without hearing their music!

i know, its insane. but look - watch - i typed "music" into google news search and the first thing that came up was http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/soundof/2011/artists/

and i know all these bands are shit without having heard them!
PYSCHIC.

So, in Salem's case, you read articles about music you already "dismissed" to find out what other people you consider hispsters think about music you don't want to listen to, and then end up listening to that music anyway to "confirm" you were right disliking them before you heard them and before reading articles about them?

lol

your psychic powers need some training.
Old 12.06.2010, 03:38 PM   #112
kinn
the destroyed room

what?

no. i read the article because it was linked on the authors blog which was on a list of blogs on a site i read a lot.

i didnt know what it was about till i read it.

then i found the video for that live song on another board were someone was making fun of it so i clicked.

please don't interrogate me over this.
Old 12.06.2010, 03:38 PM   #113
kinn
the destroyed room

Puh-sci-chic
Old 12.06.2010, 03:41 PM   #114
nicfit
invito al cielo

ha ha, dude, I have no beef with you, I just didn't understand the "workflow" of your dislikings.
I still don't, but who cares?
Old 12.06.2010, 03:48 PM   #115
kinn
the destroyed room

i have a simple system for music.

step 0 - i dont care/its shit

step 1 - is it black metal?

step 2 - is it classical or drone?

step 3 - is it the fall, skaters, hospitals, moon wiring club or ghost box related, xanopticon or caretaker?

step 4 - i dont care

step 5 - its prob shit

step 6 - its shit
Old 12.06.2010, 04:12 PM   #116
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
I dunno, I love Water and Frost Eps, the album isn't bad either imo, in that live vid seems pretty obvious to me that the sound guy who recorded the tracks messed things pretty good, sounds like a BAD soundboard recording, I honestly doubt you can say it's their fault.
That said, there's a good chance they suck live anyways, but that's true for loads of band who make records.

no it's their fault,nothing happens within the actual music, and all that's left is a hipster rapper trying hilariously hard to sound like his voice is ten times deeper than it is, his flow is rhythmically pathetic and his lyrics are generic shit that's been done a thousand times before.....but always with a better flow,more charisma and over more interesting production

i think you can say it's their fault
Old 12.06.2010, 04:22 PM   #117
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

i'm under critical about music, i don't really care about deerhunter but i don't think they're anywhere near bad

but i have to draw line somewhere, and i've drawn it well before a deadpan hipster trying to sound like gucci mane over a synth going OooOoOOoOOoOOoOOoo with shit lyrics and no flow
Old 12.06.2010, 04:24 PM   #118
kinn
the destroyed room

poppler is right. the mix on that live track is bad but still the performance is fucking atrocious with or without the mix.
Old 12.06.2010, 04:26 PM   #119
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

i mean music actually made by gucci mane already sucks

so a skinny white guy who's not from the south and obviously has a much higher voice imitating him and expecting to be taken serious, that's like the nadir of music performance right there
Old 12.06.2010, 04:34 PM   #120
kinn
the destroyed room

nevar herd gukki mean.

cos i know its shit.

psy fucking chic y'all.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth