Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page the other news
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.26.2019, 06:17 PM   #501
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
holy fuck the tories got CLOBBERED

i was adding up remain and leave numbers and dont know how to split labor

eta: sorry, laboUr

ps: the pound is holding steady after opening slightly higher than it closed last week

weird... i was expecting it to sink into hell. maybe that’s been already priced in. it’s nowhere near bottom however.

also usa holiday and... britain bank holiday looks like? but still...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2019, 07:41 PM   #502
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
ok this is what im getting from those bloomberg charts now ( raw copypasta: party, %, seats)

National party
Vote
Seats
Brexit Party
31.7%
Liberal Democrats
18.6%
Labour Party
14.1%
Green Party
11.1%
Conservative Party
8.7%
United Kingdom Independence Party
3.6%
Scottish National Party
3.4%
Change UK
2.8%
Plaid Cymru—Party of Wales
1.7%
Sinn Fein
0.7%
Democratic Unionist Party
0.6%
Social Democratic and Labour Party
0.3%
Ulster Unionist Party
0.3%
Alliance Party
0.3%
Traditional Unionist Voice
0.3%
Other parties from the Great Britain electoral college
1.8%
Other parties from the Northern Ireland electoral college
0.2%
Old 05.26.2019, 08:10 PM   #503
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

came here to post the gbp index: how the pound measures vs a basket of currencies.

https://www.ifcmarkets.com/en/market...ices/gbp-index

been going up slightly in the face of all lololo

also most significative for brexit the EUR/GBP charts

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/EURGBP=X
Old 05.27.2019, 09:14 AM   #504
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

the british pound seems to be catching up with reality and heading steadily down these last few hours (but trading volume is low)

lml @ that article,,,
Old 05.27.2019, 10:04 AM   #505
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't agree with large chunks of this but it's an interesting assessment from a Corbyn-sympathetic/pro-Remain perspective.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-corbyn-labour

thnaks for that link, interesting read.

there are a lot of domestic details and names it would take me too long to catch up with, but i actually agree with the main conclusion of that piece i think.

(and yes, i agree to disagree with you by default: i’m neither a preacher nor a high-pressure salesman. i enjoy interesting disagreements because they are illuminating.)

i think it’s correct to assess as in that article that no soft brexit is possible any longer: you’re either staying or crashing out. and the crash might be by choice or by getting booted (by a macron veto to an extension for example).

i think also that “remain and reform” is the right answer to the criticisms of europe that you have made (antidemocratic impulses and ruling by austerity).

right now for example italy is facing a fine for failing to rein in her debt. and yes their ballooning debt is a horror, but maybe that’s not the way to deal with it? (i’m not offering a solution here btw, just questioning europe’s response.)

i have no national dog in this fight, and i’m not partisan. actually, i confess to having small bets right now on britain crashing out—but that is based on probabilities and other factors, not on personal wishes. my bets might change as things develop. purely practical.

but from a larger perspective, values, etc, i think globalization and integration are inevitable, and so it’s in everyone’s interest that we do that in the best possible manner. yes, there will be political hurdles, but those are better than war.

letting communist china or gangster russia gain an upper hand in this race to establish global standards holds zero appeal to me. the rest are skirmishes that need constructive resolution, not breakups. the usa pulling out of the tpp was a dunce move that only empowers communist china, for example.

i think we can’t go back to old labor movements, and rather than making demands from paternalistic schemes the labor force needs to become more entrepreneurial in its offer. this can be done in the context of organized labor, where unions can operate as sellers/agents for themselves. and the role of government would be to reduce friction in labor markets so that workers can relocate/retrain/refit with minimal pain and a reasonable safety net.

but i recognize that this is a bit of a theoretical leap in the face of more immediate matters, and maybe i’ve gone slightly off a tangent hahaha. but no, that’s just to explain where i’m ultimately coming from.

so, yeah, i think remain and reform would be a better embrace of history than corbyn’s dino-marxist evasions.
Old 05.27.2019, 10:48 AM   #506
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I agree with most of your points. I've yet to see any evidence that the EU can be reformed, otherwise I'd take that tactic myself, too. But the 'can-it/can't-it? question is something that could be argued back and forth to eternity.

this might be naive of me, but i look forward to seeing the influence of green parties in the new european parliament

Quote:
I think where I disagree with the article is the faith it's writer still has in Corbyn being able to reconnect Labour with its traditional base, especially in the North. I think it's lost that, and it would be better off simply concentrating on its newer, younger, and growing, more metropolitan progressive wing that the Tory's will never win over.

ah, yeah, i sort of missed that argument due to lack of references. e.g. “hull’s depressed vote” (meaning...?)

but yeah, old-style labor is a thing of the past. nations need to pursue their comparative advantages, and embrace change, not resist and subsidize obsolete industries—like here, “coal”. lmao. garbage fuel nobody wants.

Quote:
I know that wing has a fondness for Corbyn but I just don't see him as their man, compared with someone like Keir Starmer, who I see being Labour leader sooner rather than later.

never heard that name before. but if he’s not a supporter of degenerate sandinismo/chavismo/castrismo, chances are i might like him
Old 05.27.2019, 12:14 PM   #507
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
The Austrian vice chancellor and figurehead of the far right party FPOE resigned in disgrace today due to a leaked video showing him talking to a fake Russian investor (it was a set up). Among other things he mentioned wanting her to purchase the biggest mass tabloid paper in Austria so his party could sneakily infiltrate it - giving them a huge boost in the upcoming election (the whole thing happened in Summer 2017). And the chancellor called for a snap election. This is fucking huge. For some time now it seemed like there's nothing this guy could say or do that could possibly hurt his career in anyway. And now it turns out he already fucked himself over spectacularly before he even got into office. His right hand was involved in the scandal as well and has also resigned. He'd been quite vile character who's been in the news for his awful remarks and sketchy propositions time and time again. Good fucking riddance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/18/w...gns-video.html

And now, a little more than a week later, the wannabe Gordon Gekko chancellor followed suit after three parties had voted against him in a motion of no confidence. Chancellor Sebastian Kurz had drawn a lot of criticism for his more than compliant behavior towards the far right party FPOE. Under his patronage, the Austrian People's Party - which had formerly presented itself as a centrist party that was leaning a tad towards the conservative side (though there had been clear flirtations with the far right time and time again) - took a sharp right turn and cranked the whole "we're the party of the employers, not the workforce" appeal up to eleven. This marks the first time in the post-war second republic of Austria a chancellor, his cabinet as well as his coalition partners have been relieved of their duties. And quite some relief that is. Good fucking riddance²
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/27/e...ntl/index.html

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2019, 01:54 PM   #508
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

hahahaha nice. great conclusion to that clusterfuck.

for a good analysis of the more general implications see the economist’s article in the previous page

(tldr; let all who cozy up to nazis eat shit)
Old 05.27.2019, 04:03 PM   #509
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Swear the bloody economist. Economists this, economists that. Just bloody marry it already.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2019, 04:12 PM   #510
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Swear the bloody economist. Economists this, economists that. Just bloody marry it already.
marry?

but i prefer thrice-daily fornication...
Old 05.28.2019, 10:38 PM   #511
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

the daily telegraph:

“Jeremy Corbyn faces mutiny as Labour grandees dare him to expel them after Alastair Campbell thrown out”

i am tempted to get a trial subscription so i can get a view from that side of things haaa haaaa haaa

i’m serious. i’m so used to the guardian and the one h8kurdt hates to hear about that the telegraph is like an alternative universe i need to explore...

know any free ones that could do the job instead?

otherwise it’s 30 days free then $3/week (not forever... only while the drama lasts... which ok perhaps will be forever lol)
Old 05.29.2019, 01:13 AM   #512
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
The daily mail is the total opposite end of the guardian. As much as I hate most of the bilge the print I do check it everyday to see what they're banging on about. It may not be on the same level as Fox news for sensationalism it's up there for sure.

I'm certainly not gonna pay the stupid amount the Times and Telegraph are charging. Edit-Theb again there's a £2 a week option for the telegraph. That ain't so bad.

Old 05.29.2019, 04:03 AM   #513
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
The daily mail is the total opposite end of the guardian. As much as I hate most of the bilge the print I do check it everyday to see what they're banging on about. It may not be on the same level as Fox news for sensationalism it's up there for sure.

I'm certainly not gonna pay the stupid amount the Times and Telegraph are charging. Edit-Theb again there's a £2 a week option for the telegraph. That ain't so bad.
yeah thats $3 for me with their exchange rate

just tried looking at the mail: the headlines suffice, lmao

-

dude: the times (digital “international pack”) is offering me 30 days free trial then just 5 pounds per month.

copypasta:

:::

The International Pack

Here's what's included

Unlimited digital access every day of the week to The Times and The Sunday Times
Online and offline access to our award-winning smartphone and tablet apps
Unlimited digital access to our magazines and supplements, including our Saturday and Sunday magazines, Style, Culture and LUXX
Exclusive online video content from our journalists, including our weekly Times Film Show
Access to an archive of over 16,000 crosswords, puzzles and cryptics in The Times Crossword Club
Digital access to over 200 years of news in The Times archives
Free for one month
£5 a month after your trial

Start your trial
Monthly rolling contract

:::

looks pretty good but theyre remainers yeah?
Old 05.29.2019, 05:13 AM   #514
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah they have a whole section of american tabloid news.

boris johnson faces trial and the pound immediately rises? you cant make this shit up lololo

(seems like a political stunt to do it now not 3 years ago)
Old 05.29.2019, 05:31 AM   #515
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
The Mail has a massive identity crisis. It can never reconcile its interest in big political issues with it's fascination with celebrity gossip and its slavish obsession with the royals. It's kind of the newspaper equivalent of breakfast TV.

Well that's summed it up perfectly

Old 05.29.2019, 08:44 AM   #516
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Crikey! Are we to believe that a politician might've actually massaged the facts to suit their argument? I only hope Boris is the only one. Hate to think there might be a general culture of dishonesty within politics.
lmao

indeed

did you guys ever sue tony blair? or did he blame it all on colin powell?
Old 05.29.2019, 08:57 AM   #517
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8keZbZL2ero

And there was me thinking it was only a sitcom
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2019, 09:01 AM   #518
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8keZbZL2ero

And there was me thinking it was only a sitcom
haaaahaaaaaa
it’s genius

i got sidetracked with that show but should resume soon
Old 05.30.2019, 12:17 PM   #519
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
And now, a little more than a week later, the wannabe Gordon Gekko chancellor followed suit after three parties had voted against him in a motion of no confidence. Chancellor Sebastian Kurz had drawn a lot of criticism for his more than compliant behavior towards the far right party FPOE. Under his patronage, the Austrian People's Party - which had formerly presented itself as a centrist party that was leaning a tad towards the conservative side (though there had been clear flirtations with the far right time and time again) - took a sharp right turn and cranked the whole "we're the party of the employers, not the workforce" appeal up to eleven. This marks the first time in the post-war second republic of Austria a chancellor, his cabinet as well as his coalition partners have been relieved of their duties. And quite some relief that is. Good fucking riddance²
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/27/e...ntl/index.html

The Vengaboys are back alive! Scoring a number #1 hit in Austria with We're Going to Ibiza!
after 20 odd years. And I guess today, tonight? they will play it live in Vienna at a protest march

#VengaboysforPresident

We're going to Ibiza! How the Vengaboys became the sound of political protest in Austria

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2019, 02:44 PM   #520
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
The Vengaboys are back alive! Scoring a number #1 hit in Austria with We're Going to Ibiza!
after 20 odd years. And I guess today, tonight? they will play it live in Vienna at a protest march

#VengaboysforPresident

We're going to Ibiza! How the Vengaboys became the sound of political protest in Austria

Yeah, that's probably the most curious piece of trivia in the whole debacle. My flatmate said he'll probably go to the gig. I'm obviously not a fan of them but it's nice to see that they found a new purpose for this novelty track. It's the perfect logical conclusion to times as absurd and chaotic as these. A late 90s novelty Eurodance act as the voice of a protest. Who'd have thunk and why the fuck not?

In other news: Brigitte Bierlein was just appointed as the interim-chancellor by president Van Der Bellen, making her the first ever female chancellor in the history of Austria . Which is cool. There are whispers and murmurs though that she is rather conservative and close to both parties that had just been ousted. Not so cool, if true. But to be taken with a grain of salt since she is technically an Independent. And she was selected by the president, who in opposition to the two formerly governing parties is decidedly left-leaning and does seem very level-headed. So she might just be neutral enough. Time will tell.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
232425 26 27282936 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth