Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Spice Girls
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.28.2007, 05:07 AM   #81
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
The name "spice girls" doesn't deserve capital letters. They had nothing to do with music, but certainly made an impact on young woman of their generation buy teaching them how to be as macho as their male counterparts.

This^ +

this^ =

this^

How feminine.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2007, 05:13 AM   #82
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I feel sorry for the lesser known, less attractive Hairy Spice.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2007, 05:14 AM   #83
sarramkrop

Ladettes were most certainly not 'invented' by the Spice Girls. They existed before, it's all fucking rubbish that the British press comes up with to make it look like an important or relevant thing.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2007, 05:22 AM   #84
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Agreed, but it did help in reassuring their actions.
Old 08.28.2007, 05:27 AM   #85
sarramkrop

Also, is it really hard to start thinking that a kid's attitude towards music is very possibly not as refined as that of an adult with more trained ears? Do three year olds talk at length or write about music so much? No they don't, and they wouldn't have anything that interesting to say. And let's not start listing exceptions, because that's what they are.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2007, 05:42 AM   #86
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

I always had the feeling that the spice girls were like, "We're girls with balls, and anything a man can do, we can do just as good or better".
I reckon it's got something to do with how emancipated women really are in this day and age.
Sadly, it's still pretty much a 'mans' world and this sort of distortion occurs.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08.28.2007, 05:52 AM   #87
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
True, this is a man's world.

But it wouldn't be nothing, nothing without a woman or a girl.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2007, 05:52 AM   #88
sarramkrop

If we start concentrating on the fact that Victoria Beckham is only really famous for being David Beckham's bitch, perhaps the whole girl power thing will start looking more silly than it sounds. Oh and Christ almighty, anyone who thinks that Baby Spice or that one from Liverpool are the epitome of strong women:

A -Is a male who likes to to make women think that they have got some sort of power, when in reality they don't.

B - Has never really met or talked to a woman who is strong and commands respect from males and females alike.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2007, 06:01 AM   #89
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

I don't agree with you on that. Do you really think for one minute that Mr "tattooed crucifix with wings on his neck" would've even looked at her if she wasn't a spice girl? I think not.
Old 08.28.2007, 06:12 AM   #90
sarramkrop

I wouldn't really go as far as claiming that, and proof is in the fact that they are still together while Vicoria Beckham's solo career hasn't taken off. The importance that is attached to this of all cultural phenomenon is particularly easy to shoot down because it's more paper-like than Walt Disney's imagination. Sometimes I really think some people want to see stuff that is simply not there, just for the sake of thinking that something might be.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2007, 06:29 AM   #91
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

The tabloids control what that family does or doesn't do. Let's not forget that if he left her now,
he'd be condemned for not being a good daddy to her children.
He's in a hole he can't get out of. Serves him right for ever setting eyes on that good for nothing slag.
Old 08.28.2007, 09:36 AM   #92
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
To be honest, I was a 90s kid, and I didn't like the Spice Girls... at all. I was listening to KISS [which is, hilariously, just as big a marketting piece of shit as the Spice Girls] ..

that is a load of shit. KISS were 4 ugly dudes who created their personas and worked their asses off touring and playing gigs for years before they made it big. They paid their fucking DUES man, and have earned everything they got. they wrote their own songs, designed ther own outfits, shoved their music down america's throats.

KISS is NOTHING like the pre-fabricated spice girls, 5 chicks answering an A&R guys ad in a peper looking for chicks that can sing.

KISS

Old 08.28.2007, 09:46 AM   #93
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
I'm well passed having elitist views on music. When I have a party, songs can range from My Chemical Romance all the way to Phillip Glass and Shostakovich and everything else in between. The joy of music is discovering something new and exciting, now of course it would be stupid not to acknowledge certain artistic and asthetic prejudces but the less of these you have the better.

K-Krack the reason I say "i'm not in position to judge" is because whether it is good on any level is irrelevant to me. When I listen to it im immediately drawn back to a really great time in my life. The Spice Girls had a huge cultural impact, if you are of a certain age the music makes you re-live that time and place and that goes beyond all the hip, ironic and elitist reasons people may think. Every kid usually has some music to which he has a certain degree of nostagia and why is the Spice Girls any different? The reason is because The Spice Girls are a real unifier. They defined an age. Now this probebly meant a lot more to you if you were between the ages of 8-13. People forget how great it was to have a band that was your band, not something your parents liked or something you picked up from your older brother. These wer the days before we understood youth orientated marketing so it was as real as anything else. If I was a little older perhaps I would have wished the whole annoying fad away and spent to hours instead up in my room listening to OK Computer and A Thousand Leaves.

the spice girls WERE NOT A BAND PEOPLE!

they were 5 chicks singing into a heavily effects laden soundboard to guarantee their pitch.

fuck them fuck everything about them
Old 08.28.2007, 09:50 AM   #94
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sarramkrop again.
Old 08.28.2007, 02:17 PM   #95
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
The voice is an instrument. I realise this doesn't really apply to the Spice Girls - they are, to my ears, shite, lest we forget - but I do generally think there's a moratorium on treating singers like real musicians. Which is preposterous given that singing is really really hard by comparison to playing guitar. I severely doubt anyone on this board has a particularly brilliant voice, but I suspect there are a fair few people who can give a couple of other instruments a fair bash.

Does anyone at all have the slightest idea what I'm getting at? At all? At any point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2007, 02:25 PM   #96
jico.
expwy. to yr skull

jico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's asses
you think so? i dont notice that much.
jico. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2007, 08:32 PM   #97
contrelefuckingsexisme
stalker

contrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's asses
ok, i'm seeing them on Jan 24th all the same.
Old 09.07.2007, 03:39 AM   #98
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb's Crunchy Delights
Haha. Bet those last two get the party jumping.

I dunno Glass has his Party-Down moments, and Shostakovich's Leningrad works as great exit music.

In answer to Sarramkrop I certainly dont think they invented anything, but if you were young at the time they sure did provide a really great soundtrack to a few years when it was a exciting time to be a kid. How many young kids had something like the spice girls? It was culturally important for us. And they did have some great tunes, how many manufactured pop bands before or since have created anything as catchy as Viva Forever, Stop and Too Much?

In answer to Glice. Singing is probebly not as difficult mentally as playing an instrument (unless we are talking Opera, which is painfully difficult anyone ever look at a Wagner vocal score?). I suppose the difference is that almost anyone can play an instrument if they really practice hard, but its not that simple with the voice you either have it or you don't. Most of us including me dont. Which sucks because im a pretty good songwriter and I need a real singer to actually sing my songs as I play.
Old 09.07.2007, 03:44 AM   #99
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
no.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2007, 06:09 AM   #100
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
In answer to Glice. Singing is probebly not as difficult mentally as playing an instrument (unless we are talking Opera, which is painfully difficult anyone ever look at a Wagner vocal score?). I suppose the difference is that almost anyone can play an instrument if they really practice hard, but its not that simple with the voice you either have it or you don't. Most of us including me dont. Which sucks because im a pretty good songwriter and I need a real singer to actually sing my songs as I play.

Afraid I disagree, old bean. I think, to some degree, everyone can sing, just as anyone can play guitar. Anyone can do anything, really. However, I think it's a lot easier to learn an instrument than it is to learn to treat the voice as an instrument. There are those who do terrifically well with what limited range they have - I'm think Kim Gordon, Mark E Smith, Shane McGowan - but I have a feeling that the reason a lot of bands fizzle out after 2 or 3 albums is because their singing range just doesn't cut the mustard, whereas a garage band can easily come up with lots of variety on a few simple guitar parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth