Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page New Flickr Photoset: SY in Hamburg 1988!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.17.2007, 09:02 AM   #1
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.flickr.com/photos/franzwa...7600867787624/

Some nice pics! It actually says its 1986, but i question that because of the guitars T are using (like the eterna, the red Fender jazzmaster and "Eric's Trip" Drifter they didn't use these until '88) and his Mudhoney shirt...

Thurston sporting some nice old-school running kicks... asics, i hadn't seen those in years!!!

its the same person who put up this set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/franzwa...7600869036609/

and for you guitar freaks i need an opinion!!!
look at both sets, there is a blueish/green jazzmaster where there is a an obvious large yellow sticker on the body, but in the 1985 set it appears as more of a jazzmaster copy (w/ white pickgaurd and only a neck p-up etc etc) then in the 1989 set it has a tortoise shell pickgaurd and jazzmaster style p-ups and maybe a new Fender neck. Do you think this is the same guitar that was modded and improved? or are they different guitars that happen to have the same sticker...

the only reason i ask because i think in the chris lawrence gear guide these guitars are listed as different and seperately...
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
That blue guitar has a black pickguard (from the first set). Its a completely different guitar.

EDIT: Then again, I just looked at them both again.. very similar..
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2007, 02:55 PM   #3
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
That blue guitar has a black pickguard (from the first set). Its a completely different guitar.

EDIT: Then again, I just looked at them both again.. very similar..

yeah initially i was thinking they're different, but the round yellow sticker is in the exact same place on both guitars... which made me ask the question, it could very well be the same body but all other hardware and electronics replaced.

i dunno maybe i'm weird thinking about these things.
Old 07.17.2007, 06:08 PM   #4
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
yeah initially i was thinking they're different, but the round yellow sticker is in the exact same place on both guitars... which made me ask the question, it could very well be the same body but all other hardware and electronics replaced.

i dunno maybe i'm weird thinking about these things.

Hmm.. it would be strange to go to such lengths just to keep the body of a guitar. They could have just bought a regular Jazzmaster.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2007, 08:10 PM   #5
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v

and for you guitar freaks i need an opinion!!!
look at both sets, there is a blueish/green jazzmaster where there is a an obvious large yellow sticker on the body, but in the 1985 set it appears as more of a jazzmaster copy (w/ white pickgaurd and only a neck p-up etc etc) then in the 1988 set it has a tortoise shell pickgaurd and jazzmaster style p-ups and maybe a new Fender neck. Do you think this is the same guitar that was modded and improved? or are they different guitars that happen to have the same sticker...

the only reason i ask because i think in the chris lawrence gear guide these guitars are listed as different and seperately...

Well I'll be damned! Some fine eyes you have there! The stickers are definitely identical -- looks to be the same guitar indeed! I'm surprised that slipped past me all these years...that guitar was an integral part of Washing Machine, Dirty, etc as well as Bad Moon and probably EVOL. Fuck!

Good catch! I'll update the site to reflect this soon...

P.S. these (awesome) pix are from 04/02/89 Hamburg...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2007, 08:40 PM   #6
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Hmm.. it would be strange to go to such lengths just to keep the body of a guitar. They could have just bought a regular Jazzmaster.

true, unless they had the spare parts already at their disposal...
Old 07.17.2007, 08:46 PM   #7
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
Well I'll be damned! Some fine eyes you have there! The stickers are definitely identical -- looks to be the same guitar indeed! I'm surprised that slipped past me all these years...that guitar was an integral part of Washing Machine, Dirty, etc as well as Bad Moon and probably EVOL. Fuck!

Good catch! I'll update the site to reflect this soon...

P.S. these (awesome) pix are from 04/02/89 Hamburg...

thanks, glad tohelp and besides i am sorta a gear junkie... sadly this guitar was eventually lost in the great theft of '99
Old 07.18.2007, 07:49 PM   #8
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.flickr.com/photos/franzwa...7600883295756/

Harry Crews live in Hamburg, again he lists them as 1986
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2007, 02:41 AM   #9
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
how can i save any of these pics?
whenever i try i get a 1x1 pixel 'picture'...

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2007, 07:17 AM   #10
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
how can i save any of these pics?
whenever i try i get a 1x1 pixel 'picture'...

try a screen capture, press alt+prt sc and send into a program like paint and crop out the rest of the site
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2007, 07:44 AM   #11
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
you can also use the "view source" option in your browser to get the url of the picture.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2007, 07:50 AM   #12
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
yeh, I was about to post the same suggestion.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth