Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The comic book thread of comic books
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.28.2017, 05:23 PM   #341
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I had some cool Marvel/DC figures as a kid too. I remember a pretty badass Daredevil. And def Batman stuff. That 89 movie was huge - HUGE - for me.

But def GI Joe and TMNT were my biggest collections. TMNT for the win. I wish I still had that stuff. I had some crazy ones like Mondo Gecko. I even had Krang's body!

I'm still a nerd, so I still pick up some figures. BUT, totally on the cheap. I'm not a collector by any means. I think every figure I have (which is not a lot) have come from yard sales. And I've never spent over $5 for one.

This conversation is making me want to look up GI Joes though. But I know that's a bad rabbit hole to go down.

You ever see the GI Joe movie? Not the new live action stuff, I mean the animated movie from the 80's. It was awesome.

Also also on the subject (and since I'm just rambling now) I don't know if you guys know about the "Hasbroverse"? In the IDW comics for a while now there's been a Hasbroverse which was established in Revolution and continued through Revolutionaries, and now First Strike, etc... so basically GI Joe, Transformers, MASK, ROM... these franchises have crossed over and now are part of the same shared universe. I don't really know much about MASK or ROM or whatever. But the GI Joe x Transformers stuff is actually pretty cool. I'd actually think that THAT would make a neat movie.

I know I really went off on a tangent there. But if any of this interests you in the least, check out Revolution which was only five issues.

Wait, wait wait wait wait.... ROM?

As in ROM: Spaceknight?

As in... this motherfucker?

He was a big cult hit in the '80s and early '90s. Based entirely on a toy... given a shit backstory in like three seconds for comic promo purposes, but he ended up being kind of a hit for a while.

I haven't seen ROM in forever! Haven't thought about him much either. Again, very flimsy character ... and dumb... but he had his moments.

I used to like IDW a lot when they came out with their own shit, but now it seems like they're just the Island of Misfit Comic Book Properties. I wish 30 Days of Night was still around.

Lex Nova and the case of the 400 Dead Mexican Girls, BITCHES!

Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2017, 05:24 PM   #342
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
maybe it was Firefly?

Storm Shadow was MY favorite GI Joe action figure

and Jinx

Like I said, pretty sure it was the first one you posted.

Weirdo.
Old 06.29.2017, 10:49 AM   #343
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I read Defenders #2 last night and dammit this series is so so excellent. Seriously great. Great writing - Bendis on his game - and fantastic art. There's some fight scenes here that are incredibly drawn. Oh, and great roster already... two issues in and we've gotten bits of Night Nurse, Kingpin, and Punisher already. I'm telling y'all who have been fans of ANY of the Netflix show, this is the comic for you.
Old 06.29.2017, 10:58 AM   #344
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I read Defenders #2 last night and dammit this series is so so excellent. Seriously great. Great writing - Bendis on his game - and fantastic art. There's some fight scenes here that are incredibly drawn. Oh, and great roster already... two issues in and we've gotten bits of Night Nurse, Kingpin, and Punisher already. I'm telling y'all who have been fans of ANY of the Netflix show, this is the comic for you.

Wait, hang on.

Currently the Defenders and other NYC heroes are trapped in a mystical Darkforce bubble that has consumed all of Manhatten. They were trapped there by whoever the hell Madame Hydra currently is (some chick named Elisa who thinks she's Cap's mom even though she is clearly, like, 22?) at Cap's request.

In the issue of Secret Empire I'm currently reading, the Defenders and Cloak and Dagger are trying to maintain some order while Claire Temple (who is a physician here) is treating all manor of illnesses at the hospital. And Kingpin is of course using the situation to turn a profit and is up to no good.

Anyway, is this Defenders story you're reading taking place under a blanket of darkness with Doctor Strange chasing demons around and people dying in the streets? 'Cause if so... you might be reading Secret Empire, buddy!
Old 06.29.2017, 11:00 AM   #345
Severian
invito al cielo

Cap has also trapped all of Earth's current "heavy hitters" and cosmic types in space and is feeding them to hoards of Chtauri. Captain Marvel is up there, Quasar is up there, the Guardians are up there, and a bunch of other folks I don't quite know. All seemingly facing certain death.

Pretty goddamn compelling story.
Old 06.29.2017, 12:23 PM   #346
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Wait, hang on.

Currently the Defenders and other NYC heroes are trapped in a mystical Darkforce bubble that has consumed all of Manhatten. They were trapped there by whoever the hell Madame Hydra currently is (some chick named Elisa who thinks she's Cap's mom even though she is clearly, like, 22?) at Cap's request.

In the issue of Secret Empire I'm currently reading, the Defenders and Cloak and Dagger are trying to maintain some order while Claire Temple (who is a physician here) is treating all manor of illnesses at the hospital. And Kingpin is of course using the situation to turn a profit and is up to no good.

Anyway, is this Defenders story you're reading taking place under a blanket of darkness with Doctor Strange chasing demons around and people dying in the streets? 'Cause if so... you might be reading Secret Empire, buddy!

no. The story is about Diamondback returning to NY.

When Marvel series overlap w/ events, they brand them. SE crossover issues all use the same SE "bar" at the top of the issue.

I have yet to read anything related to SE. Though there will be some I can't avoid. I know Avengers #9 is going to be a crossover for instance.
Old 06.29.2017, 01:32 PM   #347
noisereductions
invito al cielo

oh and yes, that's the ROM I was talking about. Hasbroverse has GI Joe, Transformers, MASK, ROM, Action Man, Micronauts... Honestly, I've only read a little bit of Revolution/Revolutionaries and of the properties involved it's really only GI Joe and Transformers that I know much about, BUT I do actually find the whole thing kind of interesting. I mean... it's like when you're a kid and you have various action figures they could play together. Think of how you (Sev) were saying that you'd have the ninja from GI Joe beating the shit out of other (non-GI Joe) action figures. Well, this IDW stuff makes that kind of thing cannon. It's actually kind of neat.

When I first hear the idea, I thought it was dumb. But when I started reading Revolution, I liked it. Maybe because Callen Bunn knows how to handle writing such a thing. But, honestly the GI Joe x Transformers stuff fits together really well. Sounds strange at first, but works.
Old 06.29.2017, 01:35 PM   #348
noisereductions
invito al cielo

also also also Claire Temple isn't even in the Defenders comic book. Claire (in the Netflix shows) is based on the character Night Nurse, but in the comics she was someone named Linda Carter. Night Nurse in the The Defenders comic is Linda Carter, not "Claire Temple."
Old 06.29.2017, 07:56 PM   #349
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
oh and yes, that's the ROM I was talking about. Hasbroverse has GI Joe, Transformers, MASK, ROM, Action Man, Micronauts... Honestly, I've only read a little bit of Revolution/Revolutionaries and of the properties involved it's really only GI Joe and Transformers that I know much about, BUT I do actually find the whole thing kind of interesting. I mean... it's like when you're a kid and you have various action figures they could play together. Think of how you (Sev) were saying that you'd have the ninja from GI Joe beating the shit out of other (non-GI Joe) action figures. Well, this IDW stuff makes that kind of thing cannon. It's actually kind of neat.

When I first hear the idea, I thought it was dumb. But when I started reading Revolution, I liked it. Maybe because Callen Bunn knows how to handle writing such a thing. But, honestly the GI Joe x Transformers stuff fits together really well. Sounds strange at first, but works.

No, I get it. It works, and there's a lot of potential there if you're into the characters (er... products?) made by Hasbro.

I'm kinda not, but I think it would be cool to have a universe where all these kind of stray properties were able to overlap. A universe where, say, Star Trek (which I totally AN a fan of) characters might run into Optimus Prime or the turtles or what have you. Or... DOCTOR WHO!! Isn't he on IDW right now? I have a few issues I picked up from the bookstore last year but the utterly failed to grab me so I have no idea where they got off to, and can't remember anything from the branding of the whole thing.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the Doctor get a real proper comic book treatment, and if he were on IDW, he could mingle with his friends across the pond in the Federation... maybe fighting vampires. That would be cool.

(The Doctor did have a series in Britain in the late '70s and early '80s that was picked up by Marvel at the time for US distribution. But that was a long time ago, and I don't feel like it's asking too much to hope for a new series from a sanctioned, or more "official" feeling publisher.)
Old 06.29.2017, 07:58 PM   #350
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
also also also Claire Temple isn't even in the Defenders comic book. Claire (in the Netflix shows) is based on the character Night Nurse, but in the comics she was someone named Linda Carter. Night Nurse in the The Defenders comic is Linda Carter, not "Claire Temple."

Yeah, I know, but in Secret Empire there's totally a Claire Temple who's working in an ER and helping JJ and Daredevil and Luke and Danny fix people up.

Looking at the frames right now. Claire Temple.

Shrug?
Old 06.29.2017, 08:01 PM   #351
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Yeah was pointing out further that SE and Defenders comics are not connected.
Old 06.30.2017, 08:32 AM   #352
noisereductions
invito al cielo

well, apparently the next THREE issues of Avengers are SE related. I hate to say, but this could make/break me reading them for a while. I loved the first six issues (along w/ Waid's ".1" mini-series), but #7 and 8 have been pretty meh. Changed artists and it looks super muddy/ugly to me now, and the Infamous Iron Man crossover stuff has felt like a dropped ball so far. So there's a lot riding on #9 for me next week.
Old 06.30.2017, 10:01 AM   #353
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
well, apparently the next THREE issues of Avengers are SE related. I hate to say, but this could make/break me reading them for a while. I loved the first six issues (along w/ Waid's ".1" mini-series), but #7 and 8 have been pretty meh. Changed artists and it looks super muddy/ugly to me now, and the Infamous Iron Man crossover stuff has felt like a dropped ball so far. So there's a lot riding on #9 for me next week.

A lot of people are writing off Secret Empire... they just don't want anything to do with it, it seems. But I've gotta say, they're missing out on some of the coolest Marvel artwork out there. And a story that's multifaceted (perhaps TOO multifaceted... I have literally no idea where it actually begins or where it's gone), but the main arc is really something.
Old 06.30.2017, 10:03 AM   #354
Severian
invito al cielo

Also, NR, I just picked up the hardcover of Civil War II. Just thought I'd let you know.

Funny seeing Iron Man flex against Captain Marvel on the cover. She could kill him with a thought. But from what I've read of the plot, he actually might be on the right side of things this time around. I dunno.

I know Hulk dies. That should be fun.
Old 06.30.2017, 10:10 AM   #355
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I'm sure the main arc is great... if it's something you're interested in. It's just really not so for me.

I think I'm also just a bit burned out on the big hero-clash events right now coming off of Civil War II and Inhumans Vs. X-Men. And kind of Monsters Unleashed which at least was a bit more lighthearted to be fair. I don't know.

I also have a hunch that September's Legacy is going to turn into a Rebirth-esque reset and ultimately this SE stuff won't even have consequence 6 months from now.
Old 06.30.2017, 10:12 AM   #356
noisereductions
invito al cielo

BTW, Civil War II gets more flack than it deserves. Sure it's unnecessary. Sure it just rehashes things that were already done before. But it is actually pretty well written and beautifully drawn.

Though I bailed halfway through it since I was already reading a bunch of post-CV2 books that basically filled me in on what I had missed.
Old 07.02.2017, 04:41 PM   #357
Severian
invito al cielo

Hey NR,
I just found this funny little stretch of Deadpool frames (a fight with Black Panther) while I was looking for Google images for something, like, entirely different which I have now forgotten about completely. Hah. Seriously!

Anyway have you read this? It's from 2016, and it gives the issue in which it appears, but I don't want to go on a wild goose chase. I'm trying to figure out if some of the dialogue from the fight -- references to some future-predicting character who is not named, a joke about Cap being brainwashed -- were actually intentional (was the former about or pertaining to Civil War II? Was the latter a Secret Empire Easter egg?)

Anyway, see the silly fight H E R E and let me know whatcha think.

Deadpool should have won this fight. Probably would have if he was really trying. But Panther says, "You cannot harm me." I'm guessing he's referring to his adamentium suit, but Jesus... it's just a suit. He totally could harm you, T'Challa. Harm the fuck outta your ass.

Not sure why everyone's so in love with Black Panther honestly.
Old 07.02.2017, 04:52 PM   #358
Severian
invito al cielo

I'm all caught up with Secret Empire, and still liking it. Seems like it's actually going to have some ramifications. Big bomb just dropped at the end of the past issue.

Also I read Civil War II in about an hour.
It was GOOD! I mean, it was fucking Minoriry Report with super heroes, but still. It had a lot of good moments and great art and the Inhumans were there, and I actually LIKED Tony Stark for once.

Granted, the Inhumans were there but Black Bplt -- who just totally fucking fascinates me, and who I think I love, and who I'm desperate to know more about -- only appeared on one page in a crowd scene. THAT was frustrating.

Also, Captain Marvel isn't a character I know a hell of a lot about, but ... she kinda sucks if CWII is any indication. She has a great uniform, and seems to be one of the VERY rare Marvel characters who is just, like, ridiculously powerful without her power being conditional (Thor) and without he power being a kind of curse (Hulk, Bolt) that prevents her from being a well rounded, level-headed and dependable hero, and I appreciate that because level-headed ultra-powerful heroes are kind of my favorite thing (Superman). Buuuuut she kinda fucking sucks.

Anyway, for being a comic book PKD ripoff and a bit of a beaten horse thematically, I actually really liked it. I re-read the first Civil War before the movie came out and I was just super irritated by pretty much everything and everyone except Cap throughout the whole book. And the art was lackluster. I think that means I actually enjoyed II more than I, at least as a piece of easy entertainment. Which probably makes me a pariah.

Oh well, back to whatever that task was that I was trying to complete when I saw that Deadpool/Panther stuff.

Hah!
Old 07.02.2017, 07:52 PM   #359
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Yep. Marvel Minority Report. But still not bad.
Old 07.03.2017, 09:27 AM   #360
noisereductions
invito al cielo

started reading Secret Weapons and it's awesome.

from my blog:

Quote:
Being the eternal optimist that I am, I buy a lot of #1’s. I’m always eager to find something new and different. Something special. When I saw Secret Weapons #1 listed on the release schedule this past week, I knew nothing about it. And honestly, probably would have glossed right over it had it not been for one thing: it was written by Eric Heisserer who wrote the movie Arrival which absolutely floored me.

I am pleased to announce that with Secret Weapons #1 I’ve found something new and different. I have found something special.

While the setup at first glance may not sound so unique – a secret agency doing secret experiments in a secret lab on subjects with rather inhuman powers – I promise you that it is done in such a unique way. I know it sounds a little Weapon X-ish. Or maybe even a lot Weapon X-ish, but really it’s got its own voice right out the gate of this first issue.

Most importantly this book is following the lives of several rejects from this project. Yes these outcasts have special powers. But they’re not especially good ones. They’re hardly useful. There’s the girl who talks with pigeons, or the guy who can make stuff glow. My favorite is the kid who can summon things from thin air – he just can’t control what he summons. So he accidentally summons a gun when he’s working his shift at the local hardware store, but summons an umbrella when he needs a gun.

Oh right – and yeah, he needs a gun at one point because these secret project defects are being hunted by this really scary alien thing. To say that there’s a lot going on in this first issue would be an understatement. But it’s all handled so well. And the artwork is excellent. I really must applaud this new book and look forward to subsequent issues.
151617 18 192021 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth