Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Anna Calvi
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.16.2011, 05:57 PM   #61
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
It doesn't. But your taste is shit so I understand where you're coming from.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 06:03 PM   #62
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
yeayh yeah yeah
Old 10.16.2011, 06:04 PM   #63
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

each track i sent you were just improvised experiments btw, no writing involved. I made a point not to try.

Seems to be working well for gagga
Old 10.16.2011, 06:09 PM   #64
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

Maybe I am, then; because I do really like both her music and aesthetic. Haley Fohr is an awesome talent as well, and that's a very nice youtube vid, she makes great music and she's a marginal artist in some sense even though she doesn't deserve it, but that still wouldn't convince me that Anna Calvi's craft would be of lesser quality in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
But honestly, Anna, rhyming fire and desire? What is this, 9th grade english class?

And she's really channeling that annie lennix shit isn't she haha.

What an odd statement especially considering it comes from someone who also clearly references sounds of the past in his work (I 've heard The Harlequins on bandcamp). In any case, I see you two guys seem to be up for fighting between yourselves so I'm stepping aside. Have fun.
Old 10.16.2011, 07:22 PM   #65
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

I'm not talking about her music, just the hair/image.

I love music from the past.

Don't take what I say so literally or personally Bebop. I just like making jokes.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to my band..

Genteal, I know you don't give a shit. About anything really it seems like these days. I've never listened to one pavement song or album, for the record. Another piece of information for you to not give a shit about.

Certainly not enough to reply to my little old posts.
Old 10.17.2011, 10:39 AM   #66
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
ugh, a calculating and frankly dishonest person. her music is skillful quotation and even that isn't all her own work.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2011, 12:28 PM   #67
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
uh.
so now we're gonna start debating "what is originality?"

her music is nice, has nice references and it works.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2011, 05:06 PM   #68
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealglenstyler
no, I mean she fucks people over that work with her.

how?

Old 10.17.2011, 05:52 PM   #69
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
I think 'sucks' is pushing it. I'm interested in how she progresses. It's surfy and 'unoriginal' or whatever but I think she's a capable songwriter.

She fucks people over? Now I'm interested.

The CDY track is surprisingly good... although it kinda sounds like a Bon Iver outtake LOL. When I saw her a few years ago it was the most banal shit ever.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2011, 07:53 PM   #70
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
I agree completely with Decayed Rhapsody's post. It always has been evident that the hype surrounding her has been greatly exagerated; Patti Smith is unreachable, and PJ Harvey getting the Music Mercury Prize was totally fair, for instance. There's nothing that will convince me to deny that there's some greatness in her music and I also expect and I'm interested in future developments. In terms of her own progress, there's already some that is at the reach of anyone to judge since at least a digital release by her former band, Cheap Hotel (is this the band you saw her with a few years back, Decayed Rhapsody?), can be used as proof:

http://cheaphotel.bandcamp.com/

Also interested in further clarifying on the subject of therealglenstyler's post. I haven't come across any information or even rumors that would imply that could be possible but if there's proof to back that statement, I'm willing to check it out.
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2011, 07:57 PM   #71
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

Surfy? I wouldn't call her music surfy at all.

In fact that term is being way too overused these days in my opinion...
Old 10.17.2011, 09:19 PM   #72
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
When I was referring to banality I was referring to Circuit des Yeux's stuff, still not sure why she's relevant to Calvi. I saw her at Silent Barn in Brooklyn (I think it was at the infamous Drunkdriver/Mattin show) in early '09 and it was your average art-school-person-knob-twiddling-on-floor display.

I'd say Rider To The Sea is very surf-influenced, along with a few other tracks. I'm not really a fan of her Calvi's visual aesthetic (it's not Annie Lennox AT ALL - Annie has always been visually engaging and Calvi looks like a failed flamenco dancer showing up to a board meeting, but w/e). I do wonder how the whole hype got rolling for her. She must have known someone at Domino or in the "mainstream indie" world because she appeared out of nowhere.
Old 10.17.2011, 10:03 PM   #73
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

Wait, I don't get it. So you're talking shit about her? but didnt you start this thread?
Old 10.17.2011, 10:09 PM   #74
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

I said I'm not into her VISUAL aesthetic, numbnuts. I like some of her songs.
Old 10.17.2011, 11:18 PM   #75
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

I wonder how hype gets rolling for anyone these days.

And sorry I read your post fast. I've got alot going on right now and really stressed.

yadayada
(which is usually the only time I post on here anymore haha)
Old 10.18.2011, 05:32 AM   #76
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
When I was referring to banality I was referring to Circuit des Yeux's stuff, still not sure why she's relevant to Calvi. I saw her at Silent Barn in Brooklyn (I think it was at the infamous Drunkdriver/Mattin show) in early '09 and it was your average art-school-person-knob-twiddling-on-floor display.

I'd say Rider To The Sea is very surf-influenced, along with a few other tracks. I'm not really a fan of her Calvi's visual aesthetic (it's not Annie Lennox AT ALL - Annie has always been visually engaging and Calvi looks like a failed flamenco dancer showing up to a board meeting, but w/e). I do wonder how the whole hype got rolling for her. She must have known someone at Domino or in the "mainstream indie" world because she appeared out of nowhere.

She's been 'mentored' by Brian Eno? That's the reason why everything happened, thought it was common knowledge.

I like her music and her looks, she focuses on the music and that's it.

Old 10.19.2011, 04:49 PM   #77
Infinite Spark
little trouble girl

Infinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's asses
I liked her when I first heard her, still do. I'd give her album 7/10, but her live performance at Leeds Festival this summer would get a 9, and only misses out on being a 10 because it was a bit short. She probably would have deserved the Mercury more than Harvey, or at least more than either of Harvey's Mercury-winning albums (had 'Is this Desire?' won one, I'd have no qualms though). It's easy to shoot people down when they get alot of hype, but most of the Calvi hype has been fairly muted, and generally from fairly well-respected media outlets. All this "she must have friends in high places" nonsense is exactly the kind of indie-snobbery I'm trying to get away from, but maybe I'm just getting old...
Infinite Spark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2011, 06:37 PM   #78
knox
invito al cielo

I don't think the Brian Eno mentorship is something they've been trying to hide, it's very open. I think it's a great album, but certainly not better than Harvey's. I expect great things from Anna Calvi in the future.

Old 10.21.2011, 09:54 AM   #79
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody

I was struggling to see a resemblance between Anna Calvi and Bon Iver. I obviously misread your post. Sorry and thanks for making things clearer for me.

In my case, when I say i like her aesthetic I refer most especially to her videos which all have a vibe that reminds me heavily of David Lynch's work, but i'm not against her flamenco outfit. That said, I'd rather focus on the songs and they work well for me.

I think i read somewhere that she was signed by Domino Records on Bill Ryder-Jones' suggestion, although it's not clear to me if she got the contract before getting Brian Eno's sign of approval, but that's obviously a factor on her success today even if he is actually wrong with the Patti Smith comparison. She and her band were touring as the opening act for mainstream bands such as Interpol, and Grinderman; gained Nick Cave as a fan and some more notoriety due in large part to their music's merits, I suppose...
Old 10.21.2011, 12:03 PM   #80
knox
invito al cielo

Of course, the music is great.
I would say the music is inspired by David Lynch as well.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth