Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sloss Furnace-Birmingham,AL 7/12/2009
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.06.2009, 01:54 PM   #1
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
Whats up with this venue? SY seems to be the only band playing there this summer?

-from a online search...

If you like to take pictures, you’ll dig the hell out of the Sloss Furnaces . The place is loaded with great inspiration for pictures, from the interaction of nature and industry to the textures of rotting metal and weathered brick. And yet, the place is classy, accessible, and somehow clean feeling even though it’s also rife with rust and weeds. Beautiful juxtaposition there.

The Sloss Furnaces, located in downtown Birmingham, are about two hours from metro Atlanta and worth the drive. The place is kept as a local heirloom, but it’s not a behind-ropes sort of place. Wander around. Touch things. Take pictures. The place is just set out for you, interactive in the most elemental sense—you control your trip, you decide where to go, you find your own unique photos even in this often-photographed place.

I think this turns out to be an outdoor venue.
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 05:16 PM   #2
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
"You'd work as a furnace worker and you'd die as a furnace worker...

Sloss Furnace

From 1882 to 1972, Sloss Furnaces in Birmingham, Alabama transformed coal and ore into hard steel. From skyscrapers in New York to automobiles made in Detroit, Sloss Furnaces were relied on for providing materials to produce thousands of products.

In the early 1900s, James "Slag" Wormwood was the foreman of the graveyard shift where 150 workers toiled to keep the furnace fed. Only the poorest and most desperate men would take on the harsh conditions of working the graveyard shift during the summers. Wormwood would make the workers take dangerous risks in order to impress his supervisors. Forty-seven men lost their lives during his reign not counting the numerous accidents that left men unable to work. They weren't allowed breaks or holidays.

In 1906, James "Slag" Wormwood lost his footing at the top of Big Alice (the highest blast furnace) and fell into a pool of melted iron ore. He was killed instantly. It was reported that he became dizzy from the methane gas produced by the furnace and lost his balance. During his reign, he never once set foot on top of the furnace until that day. Many believed the workers pushed him into the furnace after growing tired of his slave driving, but no worker was convicted of it. Soon after, the graveyard shift was discontinued.

The legend of "Slag" grew each year with workers complaining that they frequently saw an "unnatural presence" in the work site. In 1926, a watchman was injured after being "pushed from behind" and told to "get back to work" by an unknown being. In 1947, three supervisors were found knocked out in a small boiler room unsure of what happened to them. They ALL claimed to have been approached by a man who was badly burned and told them to "get back to work." In 1971, Samual Blumenthal, a night watchman, said he came face-to-face with a half man/half demon who tried to push him up the stairs. Upon refusing, the monster began beating on him with their fists. After being examined, it was reported that Blumenthal had several intense burns. He died before returning to Sloss.

Hundreds of reports of paranormal activity have been recorded by the Birmingham Police. Some minor while others more of the physical nature. Majority of the reports took place at night during the months of September and October. Some think the paranormal occurrences are nothing but Halloween hoaxes. What do you think? Could James "Slag" Wormwood still be working the graveyard shift after all this time?

Old 05.06.2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
wilco played there last month, apparently it's a really bizarre unique venue. it looks like its under a bridge or something (not saying it is, just thats how it looks).
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 10:49 PM   #4
unravelled
empty page

unravelled has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
wilco played there last month, apparently it's a really bizarre unique venue. it looks like its under a bridge or something (not saying it is, just thats how it looks).

I'm from the area, pretty cool venue..I've seen Weezer, the White Stripes and Wilco (this year) play Sloss Furnace. It is outdoors, general admission, with a sloping GA area which makes for pretty good sight lines.

I must say my only reservation for seeing them here will be the extreme heat and humidity. That being said, I already have my tickets and am super pumped. Especially, since I've seen 'em 4 times, in three different states, it will be my first time in the 'ham.

1st post....nice forum.

unravelled

oh yeah...it is next to a bridge and train tracks. wilco had to paues at the beginning of handshake drugs to let a train pass. they were quite amused!
unravelled is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2009, 12:01 AM   #5
pop punk will eat itself
bad moon rising

pop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's asses
I was at that wilco show a couple of weeks ago, too, unravelled. What did you think? I thought they rocked a good deal more than usual -- the average wilco set is so packed with sad songs that i usually feel like crying after it's all said and done.

Anyway, I will be attending the SY show in B-ham. Maybe i'll see some of you fuckers there.
Old 05.07.2009, 09:29 AM   #6
the destroyed room

Nice.

2 hours from Atlanta...

according to Concert Chronology, first concert in Alabama since
12/05/88 Tuscaloosa, AL Ivory Tusk

(this will be the first in Birmingham, 2nd ever in Alabama)
Old 05.07.2009, 02:19 PM   #7
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by unravelled

oh yeah...it is next to a bridge and train tracks. wilco had to paues at the beginning of handshake drugs to let a train pass. they were quite amused!

hmmm is there any way to have the train on a schedule to come by during some of the more spastic jams? you know for added umph...
Old 07.11.2009, 01:16 PM   #8
pop punk will eat itself
bad moon rising

pop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's asses
I'll be there, too.
Old 07.12.2009, 12:57 AM   #9
pop punk will eat itself
bad moon rising

Yeah, there's beer and food available.
Old 07.13.2009, 05:48 PM   #10
deesonic
empty page

deesonic has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
First post on the new boards. I was on the old ones way back when.

Anyway, great show last night and so happy to finally see them in my home state. I thought I'd mention that Thurston's father's family is originally from Alabama. I met Thurston many years ago out in LA and he told me that he has family in the tiny town of Pine Apple, AL and that he and Kim go visit every few years or so. Wonder if any family came up for the show.
deesonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2009, 03:07 AM   #11
pop punk will eat itself
bad moon rising

Old 07.14.2009, 05:34 AM   #12
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
thurston i love you.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2009, 05:28 PM   #13
pop punk will eat itself
bad moon rising

All of my B'ham photos:http://img90.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=sany1101.jpg

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth