Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Problems For SY in China
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.27.2007, 01:02 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth's gig Tuesday night in Shanghai apparently went off without a hitch-- but the night before in Beijing, things got a bit dicey for their hand-picked openers, local power-trio Car-Sick Cars. According to Berwin Song at web publication That's Beijing, China's Ministry of Culture-- the final word on permit-issuance for rock shows-- scrapped the Car-Sick show roughly an hour before showtime, reportedly due to Sonic Youth's involvement in the Free Tibet cause. Sonic Youth's performance went on without incident, and they reportedly threw a shout out to the embattled Cars before their take on "Kool Thing".

A representative from Sonic Youth's camp confirmed the Car-Sick cancellation, but said SY are not commenting on the matter.

Was that SY's first time playing in China?
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2007, 02:08 PM   #2
racehorse
100%

racehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's asses
yes it was their first show in the country, and to be honest i am not at all surprised. i was shocked that SY would choose to play there after their involvement with FT - but at least the chinese fans got to see them i suppose.
Old 04.27.2007, 02:28 PM   #3
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
I would interpret this as well the Chinese politics involved, a country that is trying to "westernize" in many ways especially in the area of industrial and technological growth, though the government there is still restrictive of many things... so i'm sure it was a sad compromise between the Chinese government who must have obvious influence on the Ministery of Culture to allow SY to play but not let their handpicked opener play... still a good deal of oppression exists and not yet enough of a "free voice" to be occur in that country.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2007, 09:07 PM   #4
l'voyeur
bad moon rising

l'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
i was shocked that SY would choose to play there after their involvement with FT

But the sonics always told that they performed in the FT festivals only for promote new SY albums (not for bring support for Tibet exactly)...
l'voyeur is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth