Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.27.2017, 05:19 PM   #1641
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah man no problem. Don't expect Doctor Who-like greatness though. Rip Hunter is a D-lister or below. The CW show Legends of Tomorrow has a VERY Doctor Who-esque premise, behind all the superhero shenanigans. Rip Hunter is the leader of a team of D-list heroes who travel through time on a ship (the Waverider) stolen from a group of future dudes who police time (the "Timemasters") LOLOL! It's of course a shit show like all the other CW superhero shows, but it seems to know it's a shit show, and is as a result sometimes knowingly cheeky and funny.

There are a lot of Who-esque stories in both DC and Marvel, but I think Rip is the most overtly Whoish.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily expecting anything great; Just curious really. So that's perfect.

I know their origins are very different, but Dr Strange seems close to Who in some ways.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2017, 07:00 PM   #1642
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Yeah, I'm not necessarily expecting anything great; Just curious really. So that's perfect.

I know their origins are very different, but Dr Strange seems close to Who in some ways.

Eeeehhhhhh.... I'm not so sure about that. I'm trying to think of some similarities, and I'm having a tough time. Modern incarnations of Strange, maybe there's a bit, I guess. He traded his brownstone with some transdimenional alien dudes for an ingredient to a spell that would free some heroes from New York in Secret Empire. The aliens wanted "prime real estate." Hah. But in general I'd have to disagree.

There are also Doctor Who comics of varying quality. The best are the ones published by Doctor Comics in Britain and distributed by Marvel in the '80s, featuring a Tom Baker-era Doctor. The others, the mlre recent ones, are pretty much fluff.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2017, 07:06 PM   #1643
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Outside of D.C. and Marvel there's a LOT of stuff in the same, or a similar vein. Dark Horse has MONKEYMAN & O'BRIEN, Image has Saga. Oh, and 2000 AD has a lot of future, alien, clone stuff. Judge Dredd might be a bit like a militant, ultraviolent, authoritarian, hardass motherfucker version of the Doctor if the Timelords were all-powerful gun-toting judges, Gallifrey was a city that covered ⅓ of the earth, and the TARDIS was a motorcycle. Lol.

Dredd is British too, so there's some real wit to that series. It's all very satirical and cynical though. Doctor Who + RoboCop.
Old 08.27.2017, 10:54 PM   #1644
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Watching the flood. Casa Instigator is safe so far.
Old 08.27.2017, 11:43 PM   #1645
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
good to know you got life plus the interwebs

stay dry!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2017, 03:41 AM   #1646
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Eeeehhhhhh.... I'm not so sure about that. I'm trying to think of some similarities, and I'm having a tough time. Modern incarnations of Strange, maybe there's a bit, I guess. He traded his brownstone with some transdimenional alien dudes for an ingredient to a spell that would free some heroes from New York in Secret Empire. The aliens wanted "prime real estate." Hah. But in general I'd have to disagree.

Yep. You're right. I suppose I was just hoodwinked by the 'Doctor' bit.

Quote:
Doctor Who comics ... 2000 AD

I can't think of a character in 2000AD who really fits the template, but I get the feeling the creators wanted to distance it from anything associated with DW, given its dominant position within Brit pop sf at that time. Alan Moore started out doing the odd story for the orig DW comic but wasn't a fan apparently, although his Warpsmith stories for Warrior (an early 80s rival to 2000AD) had some similarities and the Warpsmiths themselves later featured in some DW spin-off audio books.

Incidentally, Future Shock, a documentary on 2000AD was released last year which I reckon you'd really enjoy. No involvement from Alan Moore (predictably), but there is Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison and a host of others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzxf...U&spfreload=10
Old 08.28.2017, 05:28 AM   #1647
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Seeing images of it is insane. It's only when you see before and current shots of the flood do you realise how fucked up things are.

Stay safe, man.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2017, 10:05 AM   #1648
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yep. You're right. I suppose I was just hoodwinked by the 'Doctor' bit.

I can't think of a character in 2000AD who really fits the template, but I get the feeling the creators wanted to distance it from anything associated with DW, given its dominant position within Brit pop sf at that time. Alan Moore started out doing the odd story for the orig DW comic but wasn't a fan apparently, although his Warpsmith stories for Warrior (an early 80s rival to 2000AD) had some similarities and the Warpsmiths themselves later featured in some DW spin-off audio books.

Incidentally, Future Shock, a documentary on 2000AD was released last year which I reckon you'd really enjoy. No involvement from Alan Moore (predictably), but there is Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison and a host of others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzxf...U&spfreload=10

Ooooh!! Thank you for the rec! I wish check it out with the quickness!
Old 08.28.2017, 10:09 AM   #1649
Severian
invito al cielo

Denonrail: Check out MONKEYMAN & O'BRIEN some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from Wikipedia
The series follows the story of Ann O'Brien, the daughter of a missing scientist, who at the time of his disappearance was working on experiments in interdimensional travel. When one of her father's experimental machines was accidentally activated by Ann, it teleported from another dimension Axwell Tiberius (a.k.a. "Monkeyman"), a 10-foot-tall (3.0 m) super-intelligent gorilla-like being that Adams conceived as "the Reed Richards of the gorilla world".[1] The same accident also bathed Ann in a mysterious radiation which caused her grow to seven feet tall and endowed her with superhuman strength, endurance and speed.[2] Axewell quickly became Ann's friend and the two went on to face numerous Silver Age–style threats including the "Shrewmanoid" and the "Froglodytes".[3]

Old 08.28.2017, 10:23 AM   #1650
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Denonrail: Check out MONKEYMAN & O'BRIEN someone.

ha ha ha ha

i didnt know you could call an irish person a monkey. damn! das raciss...
Old 08.28.2017, 11:26 AM   #1651
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
This series of Twin Peaks has been just brilliant. Feel gutted knowing it's the last episode next week *sob*

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2017, 06:15 PM   #1652
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Good to hear, Rob......high and dry for the Peltor's over here in the 409. However, Harvey looks to hit us on Wednesday (as a tropical storm), so another 20+ inches predicted.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2017, 09:39 PM   #1653
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
seeing the images of the flooding in Houston is so surreal. We visited last summer, and it's only 8 hours away. I think the only similar disaster I've been close to was the eruption of mt. st. Helens, but I was too young to remember it.
Old 08.29.2017, 03:06 AM   #1654
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, watching it on the news. Stay safe all those potentially affected.
Old 08.29.2017, 10:33 AM   #1655
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
GoT finale for S7 was OK. I don't see the huge deal about what's facing the humans there, but then, maybe I'm just the genius that should be there advising (and otherwise assisting) the 2 queens. Damn, that Circe is delishous.

ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.29.2017, 10:36 AM   #1656
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

game of thrones laaa laaa laaa laaaaaaa im not looking
Old 08.29.2017, 10:43 AM   #1657
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah, watching it on the news. Stay safe all those potentially affected.

Hope Rob is OK. I read this morning that Houston is supposed be hit again.
Old 08.29.2017, 10:46 AM   #1658
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
GoT finale for S7 was OK. I don't see the huge deal about what's facing the humans there, but then, maybe I'm just the genius that should be there advising (and otherwise assisting) the 2 queens. Damn, that Circe is delishous.

AAAGH!

What's the point though?! The source material doesn't even exist yet! Why couldn't they just wait for old Mr. Muttonchops to finish his goddam book?

I will deliberately not watch past a certain point now, even if I do end up deciding to pick the show back up. Are there splot universes? Is the show a spoiler for the Winds of Winter? How is it going to END next year with TWO BOOMS yet to be written AFTER the next one?

*brain 'plodes*

#westworldinstead
Old 08.29.2017, 11:35 AM   #1659
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
the point? who gives a fuck about the books, not me, I've got lots of better lit to read.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.29.2017, 11:42 AM   #1660
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
the point? who gives a fuck about the books, not me, I've got lots of better lit to read.

No but seriously. The books are candy. They're like soap operas. But once you start, they're more addictive than the show. And yeah, I have better shit to read too. George "R.R." Martin is a hack. But Jesus, the story still originated in his jack-jizz! I just can't really fathom how the hell they're doing this, and doing it successfully.

The books are enormous sellers, and I'm willing to bet that at least 40% of the viewers have read at least the first book. That's why the show was such a hit in the first place. The books have a HUGE following, so that's who cares about the books.

What does a show based on a book become when it surpasses the still on-going book series and invents its own shit? HBO didn't set out to do that. If they had, it would be easier to grasp. Like Preacher. Something similar but ultimately a separate entity from the source material.

Also, the show is trash too, really. Great cinematography and effects, but tons of gross unnecessary horseshit that makes the books look tasteful. If we're being honest here, the whole thing is trash culture.

But I guess if you don't read the books then you probably don't care about the answers to the questions I'm asking.

But... maybe SOMEONE does?
73808182 83 84858693133183 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth