Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.26.2017, 11:05 AM   #1621
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Holy shit the Americans goes hard. Jesus. What... what the hell have I been doing for the past four years that was more important than watching this show?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2017, 12:39 PM   #1622
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
DR WHO'S ORIGINAL PILOT!

hha ha ha ha insane

also watched the actual first episode aired where he's a little bit nicer and susan throws a tantrum and they have a better camera operator

good stuff!

Isn't the 'pilot' just a slightly different version of An Unearthly Child?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2017, 12:51 PM   #1623
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
yeah--- it's the same episode, a lot of the same footage, they just changed some scenes and how some characters behave, and the camera doesnt go in & out of focus and has better angles in the new scenes. the fixed version makes more sense. the doctor is too cranky/violent/cruel in the first one.

now just checked "the cave of skulls" which was kind of involuntarily hilarious. the doctor can't make fire without matches! wtf lol. i thought he knew physics! and there's even a chemistry teacher there. WAT.

anyway now i understand how these people got inside the tardis and why she called him "grandfather" which is a great relief to my poor tortured brains. whew!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2017, 12:54 PM   #1624
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I rewatched Pyramids of Mars the other day. Aspects of it have inevitably dated pretty badly but the story and main villain are still great.

Old 08.26.2017, 01:15 PM   #1625
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I've only seen a handful of episodes from the Hartnell era, mainly for their historical significance. From what I've heard, the series in the beginning was designed to be more about those characters (like Susan) who'd later be used as 'companions', with the Doctor himself being slightly less central.
Old 08.26.2017, 01:49 PM   #1626
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Hey you guys said Who Classic is on Prime, right?

*Brain light bulb*
Old 08.26.2017, 02:32 PM   #1627
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I've only seen a handful of episodes from the Hartnell era, mainly for their historical significance. From what I've heard, the series in the beginning was designed to be more about those characters (like Susan) who'd later be used as 'companions', with the Doctor himself being slightly less central.

ah! susan! well she's not exactly that ha ha ha. lemme know if you want spoilers. eh, you probably already know.

but the doctor himself sez "fear makes companions of us all" ha ha ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Hey you guys said Who Classic is on Prime, right?

*Brain light bulb*

no, who *reboot* is on prime. that's where i've been watching it all along.

for the ancient version i'm renting the old version ON DISC from netflix (netflix dvd for you who have never heard of such ancient tech & company)
Old 08.26.2017, 03:12 PM   #1628
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
ah! susan! well she's not exactly that ha ha ha. lemme know if you want spoilers. eh, you probably already know.

I've read about most of the stories I've not seen, so I'm not worried about spoilers.

As an aside (slightly), if you're into that really early period, have you ever seen any of The Quatermass Experiment? It's from the 50s and some of the episodes are lost but, in mixing elements of horror with sf, it clearly paved the way for Doctor Who. Hammer made some feature films of it, which are excellent, but you might find the original BBC tv series more interesting. Funnily enough, the BBC remade it recently with ... David Tennant.

I prefer Doctor Who for a number of reasons but purely in terms of storylines, I'd say Quatermass was better written. (Its creator Nigel Kneale is a bit of a legend among fans of Brit sf.)
Old 08.26.2017, 03:30 PM   #1629
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ive heard/seen the name quatermass before but never actually known what it was about--now i know! i might look it up.

as for the spoilers...*SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS*

i guess they were in a heavy experimental phase cuz susan is not a companion proper but rather an actual timelord herself. the actual companions at least in this period are susan's schoolteachers-- the history + the science teachers. which is actually cool.

one thing that's interesting at least in this version is that the doctor is kind of a big fucking idiot when it comes to many things. it's the humans who have the most sense-- at least when dealing witht he cave people which is the only full story i've seen so far. maybe that was a feature of the classic era? a genius about some things a fool about others?

really looking forward to the next one. primitive and outdated as it it, thru blurry washed out black and white, with the old toothless actor and all, and through many implausible stupidities, like the doctor not knowing how to make a fire without a match, it really works somehow.

the next one is "the dead planet". which i'm looking forward to seeing.

**END SPOILERS

so much tv to look for! ha ha ha. thanks for the suggestions.

--

eta: the next episode im gonna watch is the first of the THE DALEKS serial! first appearance ever. wooohooo!
Old 08.26.2017, 05:00 PM   #1630
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
maybe that was a feature of the classic era? a genius about some things a fool about others?

Absolutely! Although it varies from doctor to doctor. Tom Baker was often winging it, deliberately using made up jargon to appear like he knew what he was doing, whereas Pertwee was far less slippery like that, perhaps because his companions were often members of UNIT*, a crack military organisation, who would've been able to see through it.

* Torchwood are essentially a shadier version of UNIT. Begging the question, why go to all the trouble of inventing Torchwood in the reboot when they could've just as easily made UNIT a bit murkier? It's especially annoying as UNIT still feature in the reboot series.
Old 08.27.2017, 03:02 AM   #1631
demonrail666
invito al cielo

A question for Sev, which probably belongs in the comic thread but we're talking about Doctor Who a lot here, so is there anyone from the DC or Marvel universes who's anything like Doctor Who/a Timelord?
Old 08.27.2017, 09:32 AM   #1632
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
A question for Sev, which probably belongs in the comic thread but we're talking about Doctor Who a lot here, so is there anyone from the DC or Marvel universes who's anything like Doctor Who/a Timelord?

Yes!
There's actually a DC character, Rip Hunter, who is totally a Who rip.

"Rip Hunter... Time Master." Haha. He's on one of those dumbass CW shows right now, but originally, yeah... very Who-esque. Check it out:

Old 08.27.2017, 09:37 AM   #1633
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Absolutely! Although it varies from doctor to doctor. Tom Baker was often winging it, deliberately using made up jargon to appear like he knew what he was doing, whereas Pertwee was far less slippery like that, perhaps because his companions were often members of UNIT*, a crack military organisation, who would've been able to see through it.

* Torchwood are essentially a shadier version of UNIT. Begging the question, why go to all the trouble of inventing Torchwood in the reboot when they could've just as easily made UNIT a bit murkier? It's especially annoying as UNIT still feature in the reboot series.

Torchwood was — I believe — intended to originally be just a story arc for whatever season they were the bad guys for (was that season 2 of the reboot?) But it became a bigger thing and its own show because they smelled $, I expect. Lots of money to be made from Who spinoffs. Now there's CLASS, which is nowhere near as good as Torchwood.

I'd like to see a River Song series. Just a couple of seasons to fill in the blanks. That would be tremendous. Bring back Matt Smith for a few eps. I'd watch the shit out of that.
Old 08.27.2017, 09:41 AM   #1634
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

no, who *reboot* is on prime. that's where i've been watching it all along.

for the ancient version i'm renting the old version ON DISC from netflix (netflix dvd for you who have never heard of such ancient tech & company)

God goddamn dammit.
Old 08.27.2017, 09:52 AM   #1635
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
God goddamn dammit.
1 disc at a time is $8/mo (dvd only, add $2 for bluray)

if you watch/return promptly you can get say 2 discs per week, that's 8 discs watched per month, or $1 per disc, because they don't exist on bluray so you don't need that plan.

the first disc is actually number 3-- go figure why they did this

eta: if you're in the mood for bingeing then a 2 at a time deal will get you there faster and at a lower cost because the shipping overlaps (1 day to the facility 1 day back while you watch the one at home, etc) and your cost per disc drop to 50c or less.

--

btw im rewatching marco polo from the start and it's more fun than i remember. now that one can download the files instead of just streaming it's a much better quality image.
Old 08.27.2017, 12:52 PM   #1636
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
1 disc at a time is $8/mo (dvd only, add $2 for bluray)

if you watch/return promptly you can get say 2 discs per week, that's 8 discs watched per month, or $1 per disc, because they don't exist on bluray so you don't need that plan.

the first disc is actually number 3-- go figure why they did this

eta: if you're in the mood for bingeing then a 2 at a time deal will get you there faster and at a lower cost because the shipping overlaps (1 day to the facility 1 day back while you watch the one at home, etc) and your cost per disc drop to 50c or less.

--

btw im rewatching marco polo from the start and it's more fun than i remember. now that one can download the files instead of just streaming it's a much better quality image.

Dude, I'm thoroughly sucked into the Americans right now. I can't stop/won't stop until I've seen everything. But thanks for the tips. We used to do the mail+streaming plan, but we kept losing discs or getting impatient and watching what we'd ordered somewhere else.
Old 08.27.2017, 01:07 PM   #1637
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

is there anyone who isn't in love with keri russell after watching this show?
Old 08.27.2017, 01:49 PM   #1638
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
is there anyone who isn't in love with keri russell after watching this show?

Only on season 2 but... no. I would die for her.
Old 08.27.2017, 04:35 PM   #1639
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yes!
There's actually a DC character, Rip Hunter, who is totally a Who rip.

"Rip Hunter... Time Master." Haha. He's on one of those dumbass CW shows right now, but originally, yeah... very Who-esque. Check it out:

Awesome. I'd never even heard of him. I'll definitely check him out. Thanks!
Old 08.27.2017, 04:48 PM   #1640
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Awesome. I'd never even heard of him. I'll definitely check him out. Thanks!

Yeah man no problem. Don't expect Doctor Who-like greatness though. Rip Hunter is a D-lister or below. The CW show Legends of Tomorrow has a VERY Doctor Who-esque premise, behind all the superhero shenanigans. Rip Hunter is the leader of a team of D-list heroes who travel through time on a ship (the Waverider) stolen from a group of future dudes who police time (the "Timemasters") LOLOL! It's of course a shit show like all the other CW superhero shows, but it seems to know it's a shit show, and is as a result sometimes knowingly cheeky and funny.

There are a lot of Who-esque stories in both DC and Marvel, but I think Rip is the most overtly Whoish.
72798081 82 83848592132182 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth