Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.22.2017, 01:29 PM   #1601
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Hmm. I'm not sure I agree. I mean, yes, there's the kooky Britishness, playful and whimsical, and yes I'd toss Time Bandits and Jules Verne in the same general pile, but I don't think the Doctor is anything like Nemo really. Sure, there are surface similarities, but Nemo is a hyper-politicized anti-hero. The Doctor is a hero hero, in a super traditional, no question about it kind of way.
Not that I think the Doctor anything like Kirk either. But that's because Star Trek spreads its philosophical, sort of theoretical representation of "humanity" out over a handful of characters from a handful of races. The Doctor is, I think, very much an ideal for humanity just like the premise of Star Trek is — Star Trek just doesn't compact its version of the ideal into one body/mind. Doctor Who does.

In my mind, the mythology is really closest in spirit to that of Superman. A British, intellectual, brains-over-brawn Superman. Both characters are sort of demigods (or godlike figures) who, despite being ANYTHING but human, choose to embody the best of what humanity "can be" (never will be). Both characters have the power to, in one way or another, simply force the world around them to bend to their will, and just be good and be decent, like they are, but both characters hold onto a strong conviction that humanity's choice in this is absolutely necessary, so they choose to act as guides instead of enforcers.

Both characters are basically metaphors for "God" existing as a result of human action. "God" or ultimate goodness achieved through eternal compassion.

Now obviously there are a ton of differences between Superman and the Doctor, but I think comparing the Doctor to another "mad" or daffy scientist on a cruise through the unknown is just way too easy, and probably places undue importance on the circumstances (a ship, a journey, a mystery, companions) and not enough on the real heart of the character, which is, for lack of a better term, benevolent, nearly-all-powerful superbeing with a savior complex.

I don't know though... you've seen more of the original series than I have, I think, and maybe my assessment is more based on the newer Who, but I still think there are some definite similarities between Star Trek and Doctor Who in terms of general premise, if not in a character-by-character level.

Y'know?

Yeah, I was really only connecting the Doctor to Nemo as a way of generally linking the series to writers like Verne.

I agree about the stronger link to someone like Superman, and in keeping with the whole DC/Marvel universe thing, I suppose my main interest in DW is its vast mythos. Star Trek has its mythos too but it doesn't seem as involved. Lovecraft is the other obvious cultural reference point. Perhaps less-so now, with the new incarnation, but the 70s era (Pertwee/Baker) was probably more Lovecraftian than it was anything else.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2017, 06:04 PM   #1602
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Speaking of the good Doctor:

Doctor Who casts series 11 companion

... aaaand it's an old dude!

Christ, Bradley Walsh! For those who don't know him he's a quiz show host and soap actor. That aside though, I just don't know how he'll work as a companion. I'd have thought after the decision to cast Jodie Whittaker they'd try and balance that with a more traditional companion, but obviously not.

Well shall see
Old 08.22.2017, 08:17 PM   #1603
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Yeah, I was really only connecting the Doctor to Nemo as a way of generally linking the series to writers like Verne.

I agree about the stronger link to someone like Superman, and in keeping with the whole DC/Marvel universe thing, I suppose my main interest in DW is its vast mythos. Star Trek has its mythos too but it doesn't seem as involved. Lovecraft is the other obvious cultural reference point. Perhaps less-so now, with the new incarnation, but the 70s era (Pertwee/Baker) was probably more Lovecraftian than it was anything else.

I still see plenty of Lovecraft in the current stories.*shrug*

The Silence story was very Lovecraftian in how it unfolded, only with a modern guy's-in-suits and tech ... thing. Also, the weeping angels' various storylines, specifically the one involveing cave-diving or whatever the fuck it was. Lol.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2017, 08:40 PM   #1604
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses

haaahaaa haaahaaahaaahaaa haaaa haaaaa
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2017, 09:32 PM   #1605
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
I still see plenty of Lovecraft in the current stories.*shrug*

The Silence story was very Lovecraftian in how it unfolded, only with a modern guy's-in-suits and tech ... thing. Also, the weeping angels' various storylines, specifically the one involveing cave-diving or whatever the fuck it was. Lol.

I'm not saying it isn't in the new series, just that it seemed more of a goto reference in the earlier one. But I'd hate for this to turn into a new vs classic era debate. I talk mostly about the classic era because that's what I've seen most, and do generally prefer, but that certainly doesn't mean I have anything against the new era. There are brilliant (and terrible) stories in both.

Anyway, some good Lovecraftian stories from the classic era:

Image of the Fendhal (Tom Baker)
Web Planet (Troughton)
The Sea Devils and The Daemons (Pertwee)
Curse of Fenric (McCoy)

Maybe the SFX team back then just enjoyed turning rubber hoses into tentacles ...

Old 08.23.2017, 08:46 AM   #1606
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i think yes with omar sharif? i don't think i recall much. it was in the prehistory of color tv i think.

I've only seen the one with James Mason, which was pretty good.
Old 08.23.2017, 10:07 AM   #1607
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm not saying it isn't in the new series, just that it seemed more of a goto reference in the earlier one. But I'd hate for this to turn into a new vs classic era debate. I talk mostly about the classic era because that's what I've seen most, and do generally prefer, but that certainly doesn't mean I have anything against the new era. There are brilliant (and terrible) stories in both.

Anyway, some good Lovecraftian stories from the classic era:

Image of the Fendhal (Tom Baker)
Web Planet (Troughton)
The Sea Devils and The Daemons (Pertwee)
Curse of Fenric (McCoy)

Maybe the SFX team back then just enjoyed turning rubber hoses into tentacles ...

^ ahh hey what's that one?! What episode is that from?
Old 08.23.2017, 12:06 PM   #1608
demonrail666
invito al cielo

The Seeds of Doom
Old 08.23.2017, 01:13 PM   #1609
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
My wife wants em to watch the anthology written by the guy who plays Sherlock's Bro . I cannot remember the name. Does anyone know what I am talking about, and does anyone have any recommendation for it?
Old 08.23.2017, 01:17 PM   #1610
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i'd google the cast, look for mycroft's name, tap on his imdb page & look at his credits-- shoud be there

-- eta: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1738321/

?
Old 08.23.2017, 05:40 PM   #1611
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
looks interesting, not on NTFLX. Gattis is sure a busy guy, he was great as the prince regent in Taboo.

ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2017, 09:25 PM   #1612
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
looks interesting, not on NTFLX. Gattis is sure a busy guy, he was great as the prince regent in Taboo.

TABOO WAS EXCELLENT!!!

Not a single Emmy nomination! Idiots!!
Old 08.24.2017, 08:52 AM   #1613
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

emmy? wouldn't that qualify for the BAFTAs whatever they're called, not the emmys?

i really dont know shit about award shows and never watch them but last i knew the emmy was murrican and bafta for the ingleses

but srsly no ideaR
Old 08.24.2017, 08:59 AM   #1614
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ANYWAY

wartcht the last episode of season 2 or dr. whodunit reboot

ROSE TYLER....

lolololol

look, i have nothing intrinsically about romances and lovydovy shows. some are actually quite moving. but this shit-- this shit was unbelievable-- in the literal etymological sense of "un-believable" this shit can't be true.

i mean they had already regaled us with an endless display of hugs & hugs, which were like, hm, "i wanna fuck you but i can't" hugs, with that desperation that comes with it. but you know what? foreshadowing or giving hints doesn't really mean the thing is really credible or anything. and it's not because they're a different species. it's because throughout the 2 seasons i saw nothing that made sparks fly. so this whole love situation is just conceptual. which makes it nonsense. cuz you can't have the conceptual hots for anyone. well ok maybe i do for the ghost of susan sontag, but no, that's not the same thing.

i dont know what im mumbling about the thing was just cheesy and didn't work at all for me. but man, the amount of blue makeup that dripped out of her face was INSANE. she's really good at crying tho. i can see why she won with YERMA.

bla bla etc.

i'm getting THE FIRST EVER DR. WHO today! wooohooo!

gonna put the reboot on hold till i catch up with at least most key elements of the classic series.
Old 08.24.2017, 09:32 AM   #1615
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
emmy? wouldn't that qualify for the BAFTAs whatever they're called, not the emmys?

i really dont know shit about award shows and never watch them but last i knew the emmy was murrican and bafta for the ingleses

but srsly no ideaR

No, because it's a U.S. show. An FX original. Not a BBC deal, though I'm sure it was made in cooperation with BBC somehow.
Old 08.24.2017, 09:36 AM   #1616
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
ANYWAY

wartcht the last episode of season 2 or dr. whodunit reboot

"ROSE TYLER...."

lolololol

look, i have nothing intrinsically about romances and lovydovy shows. some are actually quite moving. but this shit-- this shit was unbelievable-- in the literal etymological sense of "un-believable" this shit can't be true.

i mean they had already regaled us with an endless display of hugs & hugs, which were like, hm, "i wanna fuck you but i can't" hugs, with that desperation that comes with it. but you know what? foreshadowing or giving hints doesn't really mean the thing is really credible or anything. and it's not because they're a different species. it's because throughout the 2 seasons i saw nothing that made sparks fly. so this whole love situation is just conceptual. which makes it nonsense. cuz you can't have the conceptual hots for anyone. well ok maybe i do for the ghost of susan sontag, but no, that's not the same thing. i just didn't feel that story in my gut.

i dont know what im mumbling about the thing was just cheesy and didn't work at all for me. but man, the amount of blue makeup that dripped out of her face was INSANE. she's really good at crying tho. i can see why she won with YERMA.

bla bla etc.

i'm getting THE FIRST EVER DR. WHO today! wooohooo!

gonna put the reboot on hold till i catch up with at least most key elements of the classic series.

meanwhile, i've added netflix to my media roster since i won't be watching fussball any time soon. the first episode of UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT was actually funny. yes im a few years behind. who cares.

Ah. Don't put it on hold! Nawww! Watch, like, one classic Who episode a week and get on with the reboot, says I. But of course do whatcha want.

I just got Amazon Prime so I can BINGE the Americans. I've got a day or so of comp time just before the weekend, so I'm gonna let rip with that. I'm really liking this show.
Old 08.24.2017, 09:47 AM   #1617
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

im gonna put it on hold cuz i dont wanna miss references to the old one which are bound to make it lots more entertaining.

kinda like enjoying music for itself-- or enjoying music when you know music. double the pleasure.

watching the daleks vs. the cybermen (robomen in the original?) was superfun but it's like just the tip of the iceberg. whole mythos or gtfo.

i can delay gratification no problem if it's worth something.

meanwhile i gotta catch up with marco polo (gonna rewatch from the start cuz i forgot), OITNB, plus a buuuuuuunch of other stuff. i got a free month of netflix streamable (downloadable only for me) and i gotta figure out if i wanna keep it so... full throttle on that front. amazon im always gonna have cuz i need for my supplies... putting in 1-2 orders per week regularly justifies it by itself. from kosher salt to carparts, no joke.

there's really more tv these days that one can watch in a lifetime. so. yeah reboot can wait a little.
Old 08.24.2017, 11:15 AM   #1618
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
im gonna put it on hold cuz i dont wanna miss references to the old one which are bound to make it lots more entertaining.

kinda like enjoying music for itself-- or enjoying music when you know music. double the pleasure.

watching the daleks vs. the cybermen (robomen in the original?) was superfun but it's like just the tip of the iceberg. whole mythos or gtfo.

i can delay gratification no problem if it's worth something.

meanwhile i gotta catch up with marco polo (gonna rewatch from the start cuz i forgot), OITNB, plus a buuuuuuunch of other stuff. i got a free month of netflix streamable (downloadable only for me) and i gotta figure out if i wanna keep it so... full throttle on that front. amazon im always gonna have cuz i need for my supplies... putting in 1-2 orders per week regularly justifies it by itself. from kosher salt to carparts, no joke.

there's really more tv these days that one can watch in a lifetime. so. yeah reboot can wait a little.

Marco Polo you say? I haven't watched it, but I've been pretty impressed with the original Netflix stuff lately. OZARK was a real pleasure, I tell ya. Damn good. They're making up for the abominable "OA"
(I would put a "rolleyes" smiley here, but the SYG one always looks more like Groucho Marx eyes to me. Haaa)
Old 08.24.2017, 11:26 AM   #1619
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
No, because it's a U.S. show. An FX original. Not a BBC deal, though I'm sure it was made in cooperation with BBC somehow.
aaaaaaahhhhhh....

see. toldja i didn't know shit.

Quote:
Marco Polo you say? I haven't watched it, but I've been pretty impressed with the original Netflix stuff lately. OZARK was a real pleasure, I tell ya. Damn good. They're making up for the abominable "OA"
(I would put a "rolleyes" smiley here, but the SYG one always looks more like Groucho Marx eyes to me. Haaa)

yeah. marco polo was fun. fictionalized history, war, politics, intrigue, fucking in the harem... what's not to like?

spotted Ozark, will see about downloading. what's OA? i'm sure it's something iobvious but can't figure it at the moment.

oh now that im back on netflix also gotta catch up on bojack. it's just that i'm saving the depressing stuff for later in the season. tragedy + horror coming this fall!
Old 08.26.2017, 09:59 AM   #1620
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

DR WHO'S ORIGINAL PILOT!

hha ha ha ha insane

also watched the actual first episode aired where he's a little bit nicer and susan throws a tantrum and they have a better camera operator

good stuff!
71787980 81 82838491131181 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth