Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.13.2017, 10:55 AM   #1521
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
cool to do a websearch for all the doctors side kicks. A couple of good ones I'd forgotten were Romana and Nyssa, I really liked Martha Jones a lot as well as Leelah, not much of a Rose or Clara fan, they were both pretty bad, esp Clara
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2017, 11:55 AM   #1522
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
cool to do a websearch for all the doctors side kicks. A couple of good ones I'd forgotten were Romana and Nyssa, I really liked Martha Jones a lot as well as Leelah, not much of a Rose or Clara fan, they were both pretty bad, esp Clara

I think Amy and Rory had the best dynamic of the later era. Amy was ASO a shit girlfriend, but luckily she figured her shit out. That was a good team. I also really loved Donna.

New sidekick Bill was actually kind of transitional feeling. One season, nothing more. Never really even learned that much about the Doctor. Good stories, but she had potential to be more than she ended up being.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2017, 12:27 PM   #1523
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
dammit i need to catch up with the ancient ones haaa haaa haaa
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2017, 03:10 PM   #1524
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
what's bananas about tennant is the proportion between his tiny chin and his mega-forehead, plus he has large eyes like a girl (or a character in the testament of orpheus) so that he looks more alien. whereas eccleston looks like a dude from a bar down the street. that's what i thought was cool about him, not in the relatability, but that he could look "normal", that being, hide among the masses. which is why his girlfriend is (in the words of the last human) "a chav." aaaa haaa haaa haa.

btw im in the middle of the cybermen story. which as i recall were called the robomen in early times? mickey ftw.

Watching Eccleston again, and with the benefit of hindsight, I do have a new respect for what he was trying to do, even if the results weren't always as successful as they could've been. He brought out a tragic, almost pathetic side of the doctor. A desperation that other actors have explored but none, i'd say, with as much commitment or intensity. I still prefer Tennant's Doctor overall but there are scenes during Eccleston's run which are some of the best and most unique and affecting, from any era. If he could've only kept that grin in check.

No remorse for Jackie though.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2017, 03:38 PM   #1525
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Watching Eccleston again, and with the benefit of hindsight, I do have a new respect for what he was trying to do, even if the results weren't always as successful as they could've been. He brought out a tragic, almost pathetic side of the doctor. A desperation that other actors have explored but none, i'd say, with as much commitment or intensity. I still prefer Tennant's Doctor overall but there are scenes during Eccleston's run which are some of the best and most unique and affecting, from any era. If he could've only kept that grin in check.

No remorse for Jackie though.

Are you streaming it? Netflix no longer had it for stream. I want to binge! Is it on Hulu or something? Eh?

Also, Jackie... you talkin' about Captain Jack? Because John Barrowman is THE hammiest actors in the goddamn world, but I still like the character when he's not making out with guys super intensely, just to, it seems, make out with guys. That sounds homophobic right? Well, no. I dislike gratuitous making out for no reason between men and women, women and women, men and men, etc. it always feels like a ploy, and it makes my stomach lurch. Torchwood was trying too hard to be "Adult/R-rated" Doctor Who, and as a result went way overboard with the goddamn mother Fucking libidos!!
Old 08.13.2017, 04:52 PM   #1526
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Are you streaming it? Netflix no longer had it for stream. I want to binge! Is it on Hulu or something? Eh?

Also, Jackie... you talkin' about Captain Jack? Because John Barrowman is THE hammiest actors in the goddamn world, but I still like the character when he's not making out with guys super intensely, just to, it seems, make out with guys. That sounds homophobic right? Well, no. I dislike gratuitous making out for no reason between men and women, women and women, men and men, etc. it always feels like a ploy, and it makes my stomach lurch. Torchwood was trying too hard to be "Adult/R-rated" Doctor Who, and as a result went way overboard with the goddamn mother Fucking libidos!!

No, I have the DVD boxsets.

Haha, no. Jackie: Rose's mum.

And yeah, I like Cap't Jack too but the heightened sex angle in general just feels like a distraction, an indulgence on the part of the writers.
Old 08.13.2017, 06:21 PM   #1527
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
No, I have the DVD boxsets.

Haha, no. Jackie: Rose's mum.

And yeah, I like Cap't Jack too but the heightened sex angle in general just feels like a distraction, an indulgence on the part of the writers.

Oh, yah! Man it's been forever since I last watched a Rose season. But yeah, Jackie was pretty awful. Then sort of tolerable in a weird way. Then mostly awful again. Lol.
Old 08.13.2017, 08:35 PM   #1528
Severian
invito al cielo

HEY Y'ALL!!

I don't know why I am just now finding this out, but TRUE DETECTIVE
season 3 is happening!

Apparently it's going to star, Mahershala Ali (Moonlight, House of Cards) which seems like an excellent move to me. Guy's a hell of an actor.

This guy right here:

Old 08.14.2017, 09:14 AM   #1529
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
^ hopefully better writers, too...that guy was great in Moonlight.
Old 08.14.2017, 10:48 AM   #1530
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
^ hopefully better writers, too...that guy was great in Moonlight.

I think TD season 2 was actually perfectly goddamn good. It's only failing was that it followed perhaps the most perfect season of television HBO has ever produced, with the most gripping story and most amazing performances. But despite the heat it took, I ended up really caring for the characters in S2. The performances were very strong, all around. It just wasn't season 1.

This guy is a hell of an actor, and he tends to take on gritty, emotional roles, so I think he's perfect for a TD story. Now that they've had a coupe years to distance themselves from the alleged failure of S2, maybe it will really be something kickass. Wonder where the setting will be. First it was southern gothic, then eerie LA noir, so... what next I wonder?
Old 08.14.2017, 10:51 AM   #1531
Severian
invito al cielo

I'm watching this Netflix show called OZARK with Jason Bateman and Laura Linney, and it's actually pretty goddamn gripping. Nothing new... but it's a nice and compelling crime story. Bateman can act. Swear to god. Not just act like a prick on Arrested Development, but his style and demeanor really lend themselves to dramatic acting as well.
Old 08.14.2017, 11:00 AM   #1532
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I watched episode one of OZARKS, then skipped to the last episode, which he directed.

Yeah, he's got chops.

I just kept thinking how damn good it looks. Most TV does. Remember when TV used to suck, just in terms of visuals?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2017, 11:30 AM   #1533
ilduclo
invito al cielo

yeah, Ozark was pretty decent. A few real jarring BS moments, though, kind of ruined the concept for me. I kind of like reality in my fiction. True D season 1 for me was an overacted overwritten hammy mess, I bailed the first time on it after 2 episodes, tried to watch it again a few years later, didn't make it thru the first episode. Way, way overrated.
Old 08.14.2017, 12:25 PM   #1534
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah, Ozark was pretty decent. A few real jarring BS moments, though, kind of ruined the concept for me. I kind of like reality in my fiction. True D season 1 for me was an overacted overwritten hammy mess, I bailed the first time on it after 2 episodes, tried to watch it again a few years later, didn't make it thru the first episode. Way, way overrated.

By BS do you mean bullshit, or something esle?

True Detective season 1 was a miracle of modern television for me, so we are not going to find common ground on that. Lol. And the second season was still better than most of what's out there. Worth a full viewing if you're ever just totally out of options. I really quite liked it, though it's brutal in a different way than the first season. Hits a little harder.
Old 08.14.2017, 01:23 PM   #1535
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I found season 1 of True Detect to be cool, but overwrought in a Se7en kind of manner. There was no supernatural anything, just a bunch of dickheads missing the obvious clues as to the murderer STANDING RIGHT BEHIND THEM.... It was overrated by people who had been too used to standard TV trope police procedurals. The acting and direction was top notch though, and overall I "enjoyed' it.

Season 2 I found more interesting because it was not about catching a bad guy, it was about what happens to people who are involved in that world. I liked it in ways I did not like the first one, and I am one of the few that really dug Vince Vaughn in it. he was awesome.
Old 08.14.2017, 01:56 PM   #1536
ilduclo
invito al cielo

we are not going to find common ground on that. yep..
Old 08.14.2017, 06:00 PM   #1537
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I found season 1 of True Detect to be cool, but overwrought in a Se7en kind of manner. There was no supernatural anything, just a bunch of dickheads missing the obvious clues as to the murderer STANDING RIGHT BEHIND THEM.... It was overrated by people who had been too used to standard TV trope police procedurals. The acting and direction was top notch though, and overall I "enjoyed' it.

Season 2 I found more interesting because it was not about catching a bad guy, it was about what happens to people who are involved in that world. I liked it in ways I did not like the first one, and I am one of the few that really dug Vince Vaughn in it. he was awesome.

Agree abut season 2. Vince Vaughn did a great job. When I first learned he was being cast, I was like... "UHHH." But he actually nailed it. He was not your typical gangster at all. He was not even your multi-tiered sociopath gangster like Tony Soprano. He was just a proud hardworking dude, living in that world, as you said. I thought he was great.

I think the first season was more of a true mystery, and yes, more about "catching a bad guy," bit I think it was also about what happens to people who are "in that world." I know it was overhyped but I think it deserved the praise. But I actually think the storyline of the second season was more original.

The first was better though. Just... goddamn. That deep cover shootout scene, with the 30-minute continuous shot just blew my fucking mind. Matthew Mcconaughey may have won an Oscar for Dallas Buyers Club, but I think TD is his best performance to date. I still can barely believe that's the Surfer Dude dude... the non-entity from Contact. He was electrifying.
Old 08.14.2017, 07:04 PM   #1538
demonrail666
invito al cielo

S1 works mainly through mood for me. That weird atmosphere running through it. In a way it reminds me of films like The Road or Apocalypse Now, the way their true horror is essentially portrayed not through story as much as their overall look, pace, sound design, maybe a few random moments of dialogue. I find the first few episodes at least completely mesmerising.
Old 08.14.2017, 08:01 PM   #1539
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
S1 works mainly through mood for me. That weird atmosphere running through it. In a way it reminds me of films like The Road or Apocalypse Now, the way their true horror is essentially portrayed not through story as much as their overall look, pace, sound design, maybe a few random moments of dialogue. I find the first few episodes at least completely mesmerising.

Nicely said. I agree.
Old 08.14.2017, 08:05 PM   #1540
Severian
invito al cielo

Any other crime shows out there that have a nice, spooky, otherworldly angle but stay rooted in reality, like TD and I suppose Ozark (which I have not quite finished)? I'm not in the mood for superhero stuff or sci-fi stuff right now, but dark cinematic crime stories seem to be working quite well for me.

I wish I'd never seen Breaking Bad, so I could watch that for the first time.
67747576 77 78798087127177 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth