Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Who were the first ever Boy band/Girl group?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.06.2007, 06:09 AM   #1
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses

They say that there are certain rules to follow if you want to be a successful Boy band/Girl group.

1. 3 to 5 members
2. Good looks
3. R&B/Hip Hop/Pop music (Mainstream music)
4. Experienced dancers
5. Fasionable
6. Strive for a Top 10 hit, etc.

Who were the first boy band/Girl group ever, and why?
What golden rules do you think need to be followed to be able to say,
"Hey! I'm in a Boy band".

No, I'm not interested in starting one. It's just that the discussion popped up at a BBQ on the weekend.

I disagree with most of the stuff I've just written. I say the Sex Pistols were first.
Old 08.06.2007, 06:11 AM   #2
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
The Monkees.

The four young men who became The Monkees were British-born David Thomas ("Davy") Jones (vocals/percussion/guitar/{drums-live only}), Hollywood native George Michael ("Micky") Dolenz Jr. (vocals/drums/keyboards/guitar), Texan Robert Michael ("Mike"/"Wool Hat") Nesmith (guitars/vocals), and Peter Halsten ("Peter Tork") Thorkelson (bass/keyboards/banjo/guitar/trombone/vocals), who had lived with his family in both the eastern United States and Canada.

They were cast after ads were placed in trade publications like Variety calling for "folk & roll musicians" to play "4 insane boys" on a new television series. 437 hopeful actors and musicians auditioned for the parts; a then relatively unknown Stephen Stills was short-listed for a role, but lost out because producers Bob Rafelson and Bert Schneider felt he looked too old for the part, and because he did not want to lose his music publishing rights to Screen Gems. Stills referred friend and former roommate Tork to audition. (False rumors have circulated that Charles Manson also auditioned. He was incarcerated at the time.)

The Monkees, selected specifically to appeal to the youth market with their manufactured personae and carefully produced singles, are seen as an original precursor to the modern proliferation of studio and corporation-created bands. But this critical reputation has softened somewhat, with the recognition that the Monkees were neither the first manufactured group nor unusual in this respect. The Monkees also frequently contributed their own songwriting efforts on their albums and saw their musical skills improve. They ultimately became a self-directed group, playing their own instruments and writing their own songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkees
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 06:19 AM   #3
sarramkrop

Tonto And The Renegades

The Staples Sisters
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 06:20 AM   #4
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I'd disagree with Bananarama as being a "first girl band", but, if they were, there would be a certain irony to it, as they were given their first chance to record by no less than Paul Cook and Steve Jones, of that infamous '70s boy band The Sex Pistols.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 06:21 AM   #5
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
having a predictible-blood eater as manager?

bananarama?
bros?

Nothing beats the cunt named Malcolm McLaren, right?

swa(y), The Beatles were good musicians. Doesn't that exclude them?

Ps: No golden rules?
Old 08.06.2007, 06:28 AM   #6
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Nothing beats the cunt named Malcolm McLaren, right?

swa(y), The Beatles were good musicians. Doesn't that exclude them?

Ps: No golden rules?

Are you trying to say that boy/girl bands have to be rubbish in order to be considered as such?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 06:35 AM   #7
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
They generally are.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 06:36 AM   #8
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Are you trying to say that boy/girl bands have to be rubbish in order to be considered as such?

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling you're going to tell me.
Old 08.06.2007, 06:39 AM   #9
sarramkrop

If you don't like pop, there isn't point in telling you. And in the 60's alone, there where tons of good girl/boy bands.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 06:41 AM   #10
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Who says I don't like pop? Define a Boy/Girl band if you will. Thanks.
Old 08.06.2007, 06:42 AM   #11
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I think if you're talking manufactured boy/girl bands (Girls Aloud, Bros, etc), then I think the fact that they're rubbish isn't surprising. It's in the nature of their creation and marketing.

I think that's why you need to differentiate between bands that consist of boys and "boy bands".
Old 08.06.2007, 06:48 AM   #12
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

That's exactly what I was thinking. Just because The Beatles had an image, many top ten singles/albums and girls crying at their feet, didn't necessarily make them a Boy band as such. Besides, you need a manager that's only in it for the money.
Old 08.06.2007, 06:50 AM   #13
sarramkrop

It's safe to say that manufactured boy/girl bands have not always been rubbish. It's true that there is a trend now that would prove otherwise, but when songwriters behind them are good, the songs themselves reflect that.
It's true that not all pop bands made up of boys or girls are 'girl/boy bands'. Duran Duran are an example of that, they formed like most other bands do, but they still played the industry game like another boy band would have done.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 06:53 AM   #14
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
That's exactly what I was thinking. Just because The Beatles had an image, many top ten singles/albums and girls crying at their feet, didn't necessarily make them a Boy band as such. Besides, you need a manager that's only in it for the money.

In that case girl groups are not exactly what you are refering to. I am confused.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 06:55 AM   #15
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

So am I.

I still can't find a good definition of "what makes THE perfect Boy band". Fuck wiki's blah blah!
Old 08.06.2007, 06:59 AM   #16
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
It's true that not all pop bands made up of boys or girls are 'girl/boy bands'. Duran Duran are an example of that, they formed like most other bands do, but they still played the industry game like another boy band would have done.
And they were rubbish like any other manufactured boy band.
Old 08.06.2007, 07:05 AM   #17
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
I think if you're talking manufactured boy/girl bands (Girls Aloud, Bros, etc), then I think the fact that they're rubbish isn't surprising. It's in the nature of their creation and marketing.

I think that's why you need to differentiate between bands that consist of boys and "boy bands".

"Are you trying to say that the VU <(my band) fit the description of being an all-in Boy/Girl band"?
Old 08.06.2007, 07:09 AM   #18
Pookie
invito al cielo

VU were formed before Warhol's involvement, they didn't just consist of boys, and they weren't very successful at the time. And they can hardly be described as a pop band.
Old 08.06.2007, 07:20 AM   #19
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Only pulling your leg.
But really, would it be fair to say that they wouldn't have made it as far as they did, if it weren't for Warhol?

This thread is now officially about Andy and his empire.
Old 08.06.2007, 07:23 AM   #20
sarramkrop

Exactly. On the other hand, Warhol once tried to put together a band of girls who all played the theremin and was in fact convinced that they would make him any money. Needless to say, the project never went ahead.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth