Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Captain Beefheart Instrumentals
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.01.2011, 09:15 PM   #1
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Name your favorite instrumental pieces by Captain beefheart.

Post a youtube link if possible.

I do not have all his records yet, but lately, I've been digging his instrumentals more than songs with his vocals. Odd, I know...considering his voice is the staple of his music.

There is just an odd beauty in his instrumentals, and right now

"Peon" from "Lick my decals off, baby" is my favorite.

It's beautiful and I've been listening to it on a binge lately for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMnd9dvb3sA
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 09:49 PM   #2
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Semi-Multicoloured Caucasian

Few recordings make me quite as happy.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 11:48 PM   #3
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
That is a very good one.
Old 02.02.2011, 02:54 AM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
SUCTION PRINTS, by far. It's in his 5 most complex songs.

My top 10 would be:

1. SUCTION PRINTS
2. Hair Pie
3. One Red Rose That I Mean
4. Dali's Car (beautiful study in disonnance)
5. Peon
6. Ice Rose
7. Evening Bell (this is his most complex piece for guitar only, it's not very melodic, but just hearing how Gary Lucas put it together is nuts.. basically, Don played an ALL OVER THE PLACE piano piece for two minutes, randomly banging on keys, truely 100% random. Gary decided to transcribe it. He worked out 10 seconds a week. It's a 120 second track, so it took 3 months to get down perfectly. And it shows, because this thing is complex as hell -- and there are videos on youtube of him playing it note-for-note perfectly, which is unbelievable. The way this thing jumps around is nuts)
8. Semi Multi Coloured Caucasian
9. A Carrot is as Close as a Rabbit Gets to a Diamond (might be better if it was in tune)
10. Alice in Blunderland (that guitar solo ruins it imo)

Can't forget the 9 minute SPITBALL SCALPED A BABY, an instrumental only performed live.

Instrumentally, his best songs were

1. Thousand and Tenth Day of the Human Totem Pole (the most complex song ever recorded by a rock band)
2. Sheriff of Hong Kong (see above... the bass and the drums lock into this one in INSANE grooves and rhythmic switches. Just un fucking believable)
3. Frownland (while this has never been one of my favorite songs, if you listen closely it's clearly the most complex song on Trout Mask, there are no 'touch points', so everyone kinda plays to a pulse, very strange)
4. Odd Jobs (after a minute of vocals, the next 4 1/2 minutes are vocal-less and feature the most insane guitar interplay ever)
5. Steal Softly THru Snow (this one totally rocks but there's literally about 30 riffs on it, it is hell to play perfectly)
6. Best Batch Yet (another one that must be hell to play, there are 3 guitars on this piece, and the way them and the bassist switch notes is impossibly complex)
7. Making Love to a Vampire With a Monkey On My Knee (ack! There's so much going on.)
8. When I See Mommy I Feel Like a Mummy (see above)
9. The Clouds are Full of Wine (just that bass/guitar/marimbo intro alone, probably the craziest little 30 seconds of musical interplay in a Beefheart song; also see "Bellerin' Plain" from the same album)
10. Doctor Dark (EVERY instrument is playing in different time signatures, and then the guitar begins to slow down, and all the other instruments slow down and lock time with it but it still remains awkward, the drums do a loooong roll and suddenly EVERY instrument is together. Then they break apart again and all go in completely different directions. Then they lock back in. Is the only Beefheart song with a pretty noticeable guitar mistake in it, in the middle, as Zoot shifts from a weird "Solo" to a part where he plays single notes perfectly locked to the bass and the hi-hat, I like this mistake because it makes the song seem less robotic and really reinforces the fact that this fucking song is hell to play. Instrumentally, LICK MY DECALS OFF BABY is thier most insane album)

Which is why I have a treat for you all..

http://www.mediafire.com/?jtmtyotwdmy

LICK MY DECALS OFF BABY: INSTRUMENTAL.

Yeah, seriously. It's the entire DECALS album, some are the versions you've heard but instrumental, some are versions you never heard, instrumental (keep in mind the ACTUAL instrumental songs aren't on here). 18 songs long. Lots of goodies. So, this might be just what you were looking for, DISCODILDO!

I gotta say, they should've probably kept FLASH GORDON'S APE an insturmental, and took out the horn. On the actual version, the mixing is stupid, the horn is in the extreme left and LOUD, the band is in the extreme right and quiet, and the vocal is louder than both (actually, that whole album really needs remastered, it sounds pretty thin and ugly and there's so much going on that is hard to hear; SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTE BLUES has 3 guitars, a bass, a marimba, two drum tracks, and vocals... it's a great song but it's scuh a mess with that shitty production. It reminds me of the production of sister.. the songs are so good that it doesn't matter, but it's in DESPARATE need of a remaster!!!!!!!).

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2011, 04:50 AM   #5
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Thereīs many mentioned, but hereīs one add:

Flavor Bud Living http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krqpDIx6vSg

I love all the other Beefheart instrumentals (and almost all vocal songs too) but Captains Holiday is quite horrible, I think itīs his worst song. Maybe he truly was on holiday when that song was recorded?
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2011, 05:17 AM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
OHHH! Duh at me. Consider ALICE IN BLUNDERLAND replaced on my list with FLAVOR BUD LIVING ("non-religious" version... haha. ie.. Gary Lucas' version, not John French's).

Those two albums from 1974 are like the Pantera glam rock albums or the Slayer non-Satan-worshipping albums or Bad Religion's psychadelic album and so on and so forth. They don't exist in the eyes of the fans.

Old 02.02.2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
OHHH! Duh at me. Consider ALICE IN BLUNDERLAND replaced on my list with FLAVOR BUD LIVING ("non-religious" version... haha. ie.. Gary Lucas' version, not John French's).

Those two albums from 1974 are like the Pantera glam rock albums or the Slayer non-Satan-worshipping albums or Bad Religion's psychadelic album and so on and so forth. They don't exist in the eyes of the fans.

Maybe Iīm a exception, because I like also those albums. Of course in Beefheartīs scale they are in the bottom, but if you compare them for some other kind of "entertain"-music (for example Earth wind and fire or Bee gees) I find them very good. My itīs some kind of pervert side of me, but I like entertain music that is sung like Beefheart or Tom Waits (Waits version of West Side Story "Somewhere" is just great!).
Old 02.02.2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

I must say about Lick My Decals that I really love also the production, altough I havenīt heard that instrumental version.
Old 02.02.2011, 12:51 PM   #9
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
SUCTION PRINTS, by far. It's in his 5 most complex songs.

My top 10 would be:

1. SUCTION PRINTS
2. Hair Pie
3. One Red Rose That I Mean
4. Dali's Car (beautiful study in disonnance)
5. Peon
6. Ice Rose
7. Evening Bell (this is his most complex piece for guitar only, it's not very melodic, but just hearing how Gary Lucas put it together is nuts.. basically, Don played an ALL OVER THE PLACE piano piece for two minutes, randomly banging on keys, truely 100% random. Gary decided to transcribe it. He worked out 10 seconds a week. It's a 120 second track, so it took 3 months to get down perfectly. And it shows, because this thing is complex as hell -- and there are videos on youtube of him playing it note-for-note perfectly, which is unbelievable. The way this thing jumps around is nuts)
8. Semi Multi Coloured Caucasian
9. A Carrot is as Close as a Rabbit Gets to a Diamond (might be better if it was in tune)
10. Alice in Blunderland (that guitar solo ruins it imo)

Can't forget the 9 minute SPITBALL SCALPED A BABY, an instrumental only performed live.

Instrumentally, his best songs were

1. Thousand and Tenth Day of the Human Totem Pole (the most complex song ever recorded by a rock band)
2. Sheriff of Hong Kong (see above... the bass and the drums lock into this one in INSANE grooves and rhythmic switches. Just un fucking believable)
3. Frownland (while this has never been one of my favorite songs, if you listen closely it's clearly the most complex song on Trout Mask, there are no 'touch points', so everyone kinda plays to a pulse, very strange)
4. Odd Jobs (after a minute of vocals, the next 4 1/2 minutes are vocal-less and feature the most insane guitar interplay ever)
5. Steal Softly THru Snow (this one totally rocks but there's literally about 30 riffs on it, it is hell to play perfectly)
6. Best Batch Yet (another one that must be hell to play, there are 3 guitars on this piece, and the way them and the bassist switch notes is impossibly complex)
7. Making Love to a Vampire With a Monkey On My Knee (ack! There's so much going on.)
8. When I See Mommy I Feel Like a Mummy (see above)
9. The Clouds are Full of Wine (just that bass/guitar/marimbo intro alone, probably the craziest little 30 seconds of musical interplay in a Beefheart song; also see "Bellerin' Plain" from the same album)
10. Doctor Dark (EVERY instrument is playing in different time signatures, and then the guitar begins to slow down, and all the other instruments slow down and lock time with it but it still remains awkward, the drums do a loooong roll and suddenly EVERY instrument is together. Then they break apart again and all go in completely different directions. Then they lock back in. Is the only Beefheart song with a pretty noticeable guitar mistake in it, in the middle, as Zoot shifts from a weird "Solo" to a part where he plays single notes perfectly locked to the bass and the hi-hat, I like this mistake because it makes the song seem less robotic and really reinforces the fact that this fucking song is hell to play. Instrumentally, LICK MY DECALS OFF BABY is thier most insane album)

Which is why I have a treat for you all..

http://www.mediafire.com/?jtmtyotwdmy

LICK MY DECALS OFF BABY: INSTRUMENTAL.

Yeah, seriously. It's the entire DECALS album, some are the versions you've heard but instrumental, some are versions you never heard, instrumental (keep in mind the ACTUAL instrumental songs aren't on here). 18 songs long. Lots of goodies. So, this might be just what you were looking for, DISCODILDO!

I gotta say, they should've probably kept FLASH GORDON'S APE an insturmental, and took out the horn. On the actual version, the mixing is stupid, the horn is in the extreme left and LOUD, the band is in the extreme right and quiet, and the vocal is louder than both (actually, that whole album really needs remastered, it sounds pretty thin and ugly and there's so much going on that is hard to hear; SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTE BLUES has 3 guitars, a bass, a marimba, two drum tracks, and vocals... it's a great song but it's scuh a mess with that shitty production. It reminds me of the production of sister.. the songs are so good that it doesn't matter, but it's in DESPARATE need of a remaster!!!!!!!).

Dude, sick. That was the post I was waiting for haha. And thanks for the download too!

Do you know a good place to download his albums? I only have trout, milk, and decals. Ive heard the rest, but just cant in my car etc. and Im too broke to buy them right now. I will buy them all one day.

I have a hard time finding them online tho...

I really want ice cream, and some 70s ones...

There is a compilation I want too that I forget the name, my friend reccomended to me...I have seen you guys talk about it once, you probably know what i mean.

Almost like a greatest hits/rare stuff...
Old 02.02.2011, 07:59 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

well, the way to download any album is to just get on soulseek. but another easy way, if the album is popular at all (like beefheart), just type the title into google, followed by the word "mediafire".

Old 02.02.2011, 08:03 PM   #11
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
'site:mediafire.com captain beefheart' to be more precise.

It seems most of that stuff he asked for isn't on google though so.. soulseek your pain away!
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2011, 08:25 PM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

How could anyone exist without soulseek? I've been using it at least 9 years now. It's the best. Great place to chat too.

Old 02.02.2011, 08:29 PM   #13
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

Word, thanks! Yeah, I got trout and safe as milk from google blog search etc. but couldnt find any others.
Old 02.02.2011, 08:41 PM   #14
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

Got it. What do you do once you search for the songs. Just add to your wishlist?

Never used anything like this before.
Old 02.02.2011, 09:02 PM   #15
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

Nvm, I think his death spiked the amount of stuff on google blogsearch. About a year ago all I could find were 3 albums. I just hit up google blog search and got clearspot, spotlight kid, batchain, and doc.

Gonna get ice cream for crow later too...

I'll just delete soulseek.
Old 02.03.2011, 06:52 AM   #16
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
you right click the songs and hit 'download folder'

you shouldn't delete it though, it's a very helpful tool
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2011, 07:21 AM   #17
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
slsk for evah!
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2011, 12:22 PM   #18
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

btw, when I downloaded doc at the radar station and batchain....

the songs were wrong...haha

Not the right tracklists and etc.

flavor bud living was a different version, and was on batchain puller....

goddamnit...

guess I'll try soulseek
Old 02.03.2011, 12:22 PM   #19
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
you right click the songs and hit 'download folder'

you shouldn't delete it though, it's a very helpful tool

Thank you.
Old 02.03.2011, 01:54 PM   #20
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
When the TSA examines your laptop or iPod and demands proof that you paid for that intellectual property, how will you respond. Its going to happen.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth