Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.28.2018, 09:04 AM   #22161
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
it’s about careful consumption, not really simulated poverty, but it could be perceived that way from the outside i guess. and it allows for financial freedom, it reducess pressure on the environment, it gives you a clearer head all day long and it permits greater enjoyment of life.

it’s not a cure-all for societal ills and it’s still very me-oriented, but it sure beats our farkakta ferengi culture that produces shit like this

ocean hi

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2018, 09:25 AM   #22162
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
most of the pollution in the world is due to industrial processing, but everyone likes to lay the blame on individuals. Minimalism is like carbon c redits, a way for people to feel good about themselves while not actually stopping the causes of the death of our planet.

The western nations have been industrialized for over a century, and did not give a fuck about polluiting or destroying life. once the rest of the nations of the world catch up, and start their own industries and manufacturing and such, the western powers decry their pollution and their wate and try to force upstart nations to follow extremely strict and un feasible (for them) pollution standards. meanwhile giant american corporations continue to dump where they feel like it, and have now been exempted from having to contribute to Superfund cleanup sites,.

Minimalism, as it is now pushed, is a BANDAGE
Old 02.28.2018, 09:55 AM   #22163
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
that sounds kinda like the nra

“regulating guns can’t stop 100% of mass killings and murders so let’s have no regulation”

whoever is to blame you gotta remember though that all business starts with the customer. the market is supply and demand, but demand comes first. in other words, need & desire precede their (temporary) satisfaction.

since us (the customers) can’t really get into the boards of directors of major corporations, the only thing we can do is, yes, vote with our dollars.

sure this is just a bandage at this stage.

i have more about this plus a couple of things to reply about global industrial development but i gotta jump off the screen right now and then what i typed disappears. so i’ll post this for now and complete things a little later.
Old 02.28.2018, 10:05 AM   #22164
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Went to Black Panther. Now, even though I am far from a comic book movie fan, it was pretty good. I can really see why the young black kids loved it. I expect a sequel will be in the works! Plus some pretty good looking women never hurts.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2018, 10:28 AM   #22165
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

so anyway you’re right that first world countries have caused the most pollution historically. sure. and you’re right that the industrialization of third world countries will bring about more pollution. sure.

but

1) third world countries can skip certain developmental stages due to technological change. one country for example, i forget if it was singapore or malaysia of where, they hit modernity in our age and so they skipped the whole expensive laying out of telephone copper wire and went straight to cellular.

2) third world country consumption often emulates first world consumption. if rich countries demand hipster commodities like organic fair traded coffee then the poors begin to want it too. we drive a hybrid they want a hybrid. juliet schor alludes to that briefly in the documentary when she says we imbue material goods with symbolic meaning. we can in fact change the symbolism of driving 100 miles in a gas guzzler every day so that we may provide a better material living for all. this also happens internally btw, between social classes— walmart is the biggest seller of organic foods for example.

3) third world countries can get ahead of first world countries in their development and it doesn’t have to be industrial. costa rica for example is trying to phase out internal combustion vehicles by 2030.
Old 02.28.2018, 10:53 AM   #22166
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I found it to be like watching It Cliff's Notes.

yeah.... or more like It: Cliff's Notes For The First Half Of The Original Movie.

And just, the writing... ugh... the original movie worked so well because they did a good job of showing you that these kids actually meant something to each other. You could really get a feel of their bonds. In this movie it was like they gave personality to what? One kid? Two? So many of the kids in the group just became Generic Kids In A Movie.

It has been a really long time since a movie ended and I just ranted for so long about all the problems I had with it. I'm generally the kind of dude that finds something to like about even movies I don't think are great. But this new It just felt like an awful and generic waste of time. I don't recommend anybody even bother.
Old 02.28.2018, 10:58 AM   #22167
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh i forgot the most obvious, lol

4) in spite of future trends and chinese drivers, rich countries continue to be the greatest consumers of goods and energy and resources on the planet. and who services those needs? 3rd world countries of course. so a change in our own consumption patterns is bound to make a huge impact in those countries. e.g. when we demand organic coffee they stop breathing pesticides. it’s really simple and sure it’s not a cure-all but it has a positive impact. same thing with less oil polluting everything, less beef burning down the amazon, less plastic swimming in the ocean, etc. yes. less is more.

ok.
Old 02.28.2018, 04:54 PM   #22168
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I think I rather unintentionally live like a minimalist since my girlfriend went on “girlfriend sabbatical.” But that probably doesn’t count.

I should watch that doc.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2018, 02:35 AM   #22169
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I watched Born to Be Blue, the bio movie of Chet Baker starring Ethan Hawke. I thought it was a damn solid movie. I haven't really heard his music before.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2018, 09:16 AM   #22170
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I think I rather unintentionally live like a minimalist since my girlfriend went on “girlfriend sabbatical.” But that probably doesn’t count.

I should watch that doc.
i hope you do

it’s a good general organizing principle

a little annoyed that most of these movies/blogs/etc don’t provide more specific how-tos, and it’s more about... feelings and spiritual insights and shit like that. but you gotta start somewhere. there are some brief demos here.

i’m more of a nuts-and-bolts person once i get the main idea, so looking for that to further my... practice?

speaking of nuts and bolts, my bicycle chain got really rusty. gotta clean that today.
Old 03.01.2018, 09:21 AM   #22171
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Who's that Knocking at My Door

Very much a forerunner for Mean Streets. Too many nods to the nouvelle vague (typical film school grad's 1st feature syndrome) but still some great individual scenes.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2018, 09:40 AM   #22172
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

^^ oh hell i’ve never seen that. where did you find it?
Old 03.01.2018, 09:47 AM   #22173
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I bought it off Amazon UK. It's always been a bugger to find and was surprised myself when I saw it.
Old 03.01.2018, 09:52 AM   #22174
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

on vhs? i’m looking at amazon here and i can rent it digitally for $2! but funny, it’s in SD, so i’m assuming a vhs transfer. no?
Old 03.01.2018, 10:00 AM   #22175
demonrail666
invito al cielo

No, it's a proper DVD release from the BFI, so a nice transfer and some good extras.

http://shop.bfi.org.uk/http-shop-bfi...l#.WpgVu5PFLOQ
Old 03.01.2018, 10:18 AM   #22176
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

nice! dvd is still SD resolution (max is 480p i think?), but i like that the listing shows they maintain the original aspect ratio, which is the important thing (more so than resolution for me). btw, the digital mean streets rental is HD. there’s something going on and i gotta investigate lol.
Old 03.01.2018, 12:07 PM   #22177
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i hope you do

it’s a good general organizing principle

a little annoyed that most of these movies/blogs/etc don’t provide more specific how-tos, and it’s more about... feelings and spiritual insights and shit like that. but you gotta start somewhere. there are some brief demos here.

i’m more of a nuts-and-bolts person once i get the main idea, so looking for that to further my... practice?

speaking of nuts and bolts, my bicycle chain got really rusty. gotta clean that today.

I wanna be nuts-and-boltsy!!! I want to be able to make my own furniture and, like, fix shit.

I should take a class with all this extra time I have on my hands ohwaitnevermind
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2018, 12:43 PM   #22178
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ha ha ha ha

i didn’t mean nuts and bolts in the literal sense— i meant in the sense of implementation. the mention of my bike repair was just a free-association.

for example i have gone from 4 bank accounts to one— and the savings are contained within the checking. that’s minimalist in my view. less tracking and complexity and time wasters.

i’ve moved to a walkable small town that allows for foot and bike traffic instead of trucking through mud roads on a v8 truck. lower transportation cost + better fitness. that’s minimalist. moving close to work was an important factor in this decision.

trying to go to a paperless workflow. it’s easier said than done. not quite there yet.

for food im maximizing nutrition and health while removing elaborate preparations with complex tool requirements. it’s taken me years to develop such systems. it’s still a process. my fridge is clear and clean and streamlined. most people have theirs clogged with useless rotting shit growing mold all over. i used to do that myself. not anymore.

went from a 3 bedroom house to a 1-room loft type place over the past decade. now that im in a town it’s hard to find a similar space, so for now we’re in a 2br house which is too much space actually— a room is empty and we don’t wanna fill it up with shit. will look for smaller later.

over the years donated a lot of big and bulky furniture, from king size beds to leather couches, to people who had a use for it. i still have an nice 60’s engineer steel desk that needs an owner, but that might end up recycled at the metalman. so impossibly heavy!

even “how to shop” is done with simplification in mind, to save time and mileage and yes money too. currently testing amazon pantry with good results. costco also available w/ higher amounts required.

by nuts-and-bolts i mean: how do you get rid of your massive bed and what do you use instead? how do you maximize use of space so you don’t spread out and add further? how do you transition from fossil fuel to muscle-powered transportation in a way that’s safe and practical and reliable? what clothes do you buy to get the most utility and less clutter? how do you heat people, not buildings? how do you reduce or even eliminate the trash you produce? that sort of thing.

how to execute on “big ideas” on an everyday basis. tactics to actually achieve the grand strategic goals. setting up and doing the practical shit.

ps- as for the “extra time” you mention, minimalism is very much about maximizing free time, yes.
Old 03.04.2018, 05:22 PM   #22179
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Meet the Feebles.
Old 03.05.2018, 04:12 AM   #22180
demonrail666
invito al cielo

So Shape of Water lands Best Picture Oscar. In an awards marking a controversial year for the industry, it was the safe choice.
609100910591099110611071108 1109 111011111112111911591209 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth