Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Dizzee Rascal
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.24.2009, 09:18 AM   #21
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
The Streets aren't really Grime, as he's from Birmingham. And it's only really Dizzee's first album that was really Grime. And that was where Grime was at a long time ago, and a fairly commercial version of it. There's nothing wrong with Grime going overground, but there's always loads going on under the surface.

This radio show, from last week, should give you a better idea of what it's all about, or any of the Grime podcasts from Rinse.fm. Also, check the first Run the Road compilation.

You might want to check out Zed Bias's 'sound of pirates' to get an idea of how two-step, Grime and dubstep all relate to each other. Plus, it's a stone cold classic compilation. I tend to find that a lot of Americans have a hard time getting over the beats, which are often pretty different to American beats. Plus, a lot of Grime seemed to get sold in the states as a 'British crunk', which is bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2009, 09:23 AM   #22
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
thanks Glice. I think maybe a good concise compilation would be the sort of overview I'd need. I had a feeling that the two I'd heard were just scratching the main(er) stream surface of the genre.
Old 12.24.2009, 09:23 AM   #23
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massassinated
Love Boy in da corner. Don't care for the 2 following albums, haven't listened to the last one.

I'd like to enjoy more things in grime, but what I've listened to outside BidC is just meh to my ears (just like in dubstep outside Burial). Recs are welcome.

On the dubstep front, you want to avoid thinking that Burial is dubstep. There's pretty much no-one in dubstep doing the same thing, and his second album is closer to two-step than dubstep.

Dance music has all these ridiculous divisions, and I feel like a cock saying these things but... well, Burial isn't really where dubstep is at.

I listened to this yesterday - loads of shiny new dubstep plates and a couple of DnB, two-step, and R&B numbers thrown in. There's loads of mixes on this forum, but a lot of them are of iffy quality. A lot of dubstep can be quite dry, so I'd recommend getting what you can of Joker - he's from Bristol and therefore awesome, but also a bit easier on the ear than a lot of dubstep.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 12.24.2009, 09:25 AM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
thanks Glice. I think maybe a good concise compilation would be the sort of overview I'd need. I had a feeling that the two I'd heard were just scratching the main(er) stream surface of the genre.

Hit up run the road then. It's pretty old now, but it's very close to being essential. Should be easy enough to find on slsk, but PM me if you're getting troubles and I'll upload it after Christmas.

Quote:
Old 12.24.2009, 09:40 AM   #25
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I hear what yr saying about the millions of sub-genres in dance music. I sort of lost keeping track around 2005ish. I've paid a bit of attention to dubstep, but again -- only the tipoftheiceberg stuff. Burial etc that you pointed out as not being representative. Is The Field dubstep? I've really lost track of the genres.
Old 12.24.2009, 09:48 AM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

I don't know the field, so I'm not sure. It's gone to being a pretty international genre lately, so there's loads of crossover. I tend to like the really minimal stuff with filthy synths, and a bit of wonky stuff. I've noticed a worrying trend towards terrible 'dubstep' remixes of popular tunes lately, which is largely shite unless it's a dnb/ two-step/ grime tune in the first place.

If you can do me a youtube link I could probably tell you though.

Quote:
Old 12.24.2009, 09:54 AM   #27
noisereductions
invito al cielo

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2AA697EF3007D5B1&search_query=the +field+from+here+we+go+sublime
Old 12.24.2009, 10:17 AM   #28
Glice
invito al cielo

That's pretty good, I might have to check out that album. I wouldn't say it was dubstep though. Reminds me of early techno/house actually, but I'm only really aware of UR/ Detroit and the likes of Hawtin/ +8 in that field... which is to say, not an expert by any stretch (I'm not an expert on anything though, so that's hardly a meaningful statement).

Quote:
Old 12.24.2009, 10:19 AM   #29
Glice
invito al cielo

I'm still listening, and starting to miss pills again.

Quote:
Old 12.24.2009, 10:53 AM   #30
noisereductions
invito al cielo

FROM HERE WE GO SUBLIME is a great album. Haven't heard what he's put out since. It has a certain naive charm to it that seems to pop up often in debut albums by people who have only recently discovered making electronic music.
Old 12.24.2009, 12:43 PM   #31
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
The Field is more minimal techno. And he's ace! (Minimal techno is really an interesting genre too).
I'm having trouble with all those dubsteps / wonky / glitch hop / blahblah subgenres too - though I listen to tons of it. Favorite album from this nebula this year: Dorian Concept's When Planets Explode.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 08:30 AM   #32
Massassinated
bad moon rising

Massassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
On the dubstep front, you want to avoid thinking that Burial is dubstep. There's pretty much no-one in dubstep doing the same thing, and his second album is closer to two-step than dubstep.

Dance music has all these ridiculous divisions, and I feel like a cock saying these things but... well, Burial isn't really where dubstep is at.

I listened to this yesterday - loads of shiny new dubstep plates and a couple of DnB, two-step, and R&B numbers thrown in. There's loads of mixes on this forum, but a lot of them are of iffy quality. A lot of dubstep can be quite dry, so I'd recommend getting what you can of Joker - he's from Bristol and therefore awesome, but also a bit easier on the ear than a lot of dubstep.
Thanks a lot, I'm dling it / browsing this forum as soon as I can.
Old 01.07.2010, 09:44 AM   #33
Glice
invito al cielo

Listening to this one as we speak. There are some absolutely lush tunes all up in this motherfucker.

Quote:
Old 01.07.2010, 07:08 PM   #34
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

Aim High Vol 2 is the best grime comp i've heard, vol 3 is also really great, and the Lord Of The Decks series of comps are also totally worth checking out, especially vol.3.
also any mixes by logan sama are probably worth hearing, he's the grime equivalent of someone like mr magic.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 07:14 PM   #35
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
not really related but anyway, someone recommended me some reggaeton recently. if anyone ever tries to recommend any reggaeton to you, ignore them.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 07:18 PM   #36
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
my favourite grime video on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtO-YRejpQI
Old 01.07.2010, 07:19 PM   #37
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
not really related but anyway, someone recommended me some reggaeton recently. if anyone ever tries to recommend any reggaeton to you, ignore them.

yes.

....glice would probably like it though
Old 01.07.2010, 07:22 PM   #38
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
it sounds good, the name, reggaeton. fucking hell though, when i heard it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 08:03 PM   #39
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

yes, the unholy spawn of mariachi and happy hardcore
Old 01.07.2010, 08:06 PM   #40
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

it could be worse though, it could be baile funk

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth