Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Lightning Bolt: Sucky?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.05.2006, 11:34 PM   #41
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
No point in arguing further.....
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 11:35 PM   #42
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Agreed. Daycare doesn't like LB, that's alright. To each his own.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 11:37 PM   #43
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
sorry...like I said, I may learn to like it in the future when music is further dumbed down.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 11:37 PM   #44
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Well, you know, at least Lightning Bolt are better than The Vaselines. (were)
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 11:38 PM   #45
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
Well, you know, at least Lightning Bolt are better than The Vaselines. (were)

not

Old 07.05.2006, 11:39 PM   #46
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
It's more of a post-noise take on prog rock if anything, but to accuse them of "dumbing things down," even as a non-fan, is absolutely ridiculous.

I mean, I loathe the music that Bjork or Joanna Newsom make, but I don't deny their talent.

I question your objective listening skills.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 11:42 PM   #47
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
It's more of a post-noise take on prog rock if anything, but to accuse them of "dumbing things down," even as a non-fan, is absolutely ridiculous.

I mean, I loathe the music that Bjork or Joanna Newsom make, but I don't deny their talent.

I question your objective listening skills.

You must have missed my comment above when I likened them to heavy metal guitar virtuosos with technical ability but no real substance. Obviously, they are good musicians--I just think they are not doing anything worthwhile.

I hope I never acquire "objective listening skills." That sounds about as fun as algebra.

Old 07.05.2006, 11:44 PM   #48
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
algebra can be fun...
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 11:46 PM   #49
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
algebra can be fun...

Does algebra ever involve taking off your clothes?

Old 07.05.2006, 11:49 PM   #50
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
No, I hate algebra. "Keep 'em on" written all over it

Old 07.05.2006, 11:51 PM   #51
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
You must have missed my comment above when I likened them to heavy metal guitar virtuosos with technical ability but no real substance. Obviously, they are good musicians--I just think they are not doing anything worthwhile.

I hope I never acquire "objective listening skills." That sounds about as fun as algebra.

I did see that, and I disagree with that assessment as well. They definitely display musical prowess, but I see what they have done (and the attitude they have done it with) as taking the slickness and sterility OUT of that style of playing, keeping it visceral and raw. To compare them to the likes of Satriani or Vai only shows how much you missed the point. So does lumping them in with "noise" bands, for that matter.

By "objective listening skills," I meant having the presence of mind to give people their due. They have shown discipline and determination well beyond most of their peers, and have been lauded by a fanbase that normally shuns pure displays of virtuosity. Whether you care for the music or not, it IS valid and it IS worthwhile. In this regard, "sucky" is hardly the right adjective. I hate a lot of peoples' music, but they do not all "suck" and they are not all doing music that is "not worthwhile."

Yeesh.
Old 07.05.2006, 11:55 PM   #52
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I did see that, and I disagree with that assessment as well. They definitely display musical prowess, but I see what they have done (and the attitude they have done it with) as taking the slickness and sterility OUT of that style of playing, keeping it visceral and raw. To compare them to the likes of Satriani or Vai only shows how much you missed the point. So does lumping them in with "noise" bands, for that matter.

By "objective listening skills," I meant having the presence of mind to give people their due. They have shown discipline and determination well beyond most of their peers, and have been lauded by a fanbase that normally shuns pure displays of virtuosity. Whether you care for the music or not, it IS valid and it IS worthwhile. In this regard, "sucky" is hardly the right adjective. I hate a lot of peoples' music, but they do not all "suck" and they are not all doing music that is "not worthwhile."

Yeesh.

As I said before, the thread is asking a question, not making as statement: sucky??? You decide. I'm just sharing my opinion.

A lot of people agree that Britney Spears makes great music, but that doesn't mean it's valid.

And I'm not sure I want to "get" the point of this music. Yes, it is more raw than Vai or Satriani...I heard that when I listened to the music....and?

Old 07.05.2006, 11:57 PM   #53
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
i dont think they have much musical ability, anyone can play annoying rock drums...
Old 07.05.2006, 11:59 PM   #54
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
As I said before, the thread is asking a question, not making as statement: sucky??? You decide. I'm just sharing my opinion.

A lot of people agree that Britney Spears makes great music, but that doesn't mean it's valid.

And I'm not sure I want to "get" the point of this music. Yes, it is more raw than Vai or Satriani...I heard that when I listened to the music....and?
Why are you even making reference to a washed up pop singer? You can't possibly compare the two, talent aside. Your question was obviously answered by the responses opposing your opinion.

Old 07.06.2006, 12:01 AM   #55
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

I never said it wasn't OK not to like it. I can definitely see how they could be pretty annoying to some people. I just found your dismissive attitude to be unfounded.

Britney Spears is not a musician.

I think I spelled out pretty clearly that Lightning Bolt deserve some credit, even from non-fans. Their effort and their vision are a valid form of expression, and to compare a sincere and dedicated effort (with very little financial payout) to a hollow media lipsync fabrication like Britney Spears is so ludicrous that I question whether you can give any credit to anything you don't personally like.

I think Jeff Buckley is unlistenable, caterwauling, sentimental tripe, but I have to admit the guy had some pipes. Whether or not I liked him at all, his music is VALID.
That is all I was trying to say.
Old 07.06.2006, 12:02 AM   #56
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
i dont think they have much musical ability, anyone can play annoying rock drums...

This is funny. Right up there with "Anyone can rap. All those guys do is talk."
Old 07.06.2006, 12:02 AM   #57
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

My point was that in some circles people think Britney is valid. I'm not comparing the artists. You brought up the fact that people consider this band "valid" as some sort of interesting tidbit. Do you want to debate what is valid and what is not?

Old 07.06.2006, 12:03 AM   #58
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

No, I want to debate whether or not you have the capacity to admit something you don't like has validity.
You have shown precious little in this regard.
Old 07.06.2006, 12:05 AM   #59
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

I said that the musicians display technical ability. Isn't that the same?

Old 07.06.2006, 12:06 AM   #60
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
This is funny. Right up there with "Anyone can rap. All those guys do is talk."

its all about jazz, man...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth