Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Three Lobed youth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.04.2008, 08:48 AM   #81
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Splendid! It looks like I'm going to have a pretty cool soundtrack to Easter this year.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.04.2008, 08:55 AM   #82
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
hope mine is in that 1/2 of international ones! What's/who's in the first batch?

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.04.2008, 09:09 AM   #83
threelobed
bad moon rising

threelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-aim
What's/who's in the first batch?

bark haze
howlin rain
jack rose
tom carter
ghq
vanishing voice

and the slipcase that holds the series. the remaining 4 discs will be packaged together like 8-ish weeks from now.
threelobed is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.04.2008, 11:04 AM   #84
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I think once the govt finds out how cool this is they will ban it. Or you'll get expelled by Breton from the Surrealists.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.04.2008, 06:01 PM   #85
threelobed
bad moon rising

threelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's assesthreelobed kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
hmmm, i have a feeling we've heard that before in some way or other...

you haven't - it is all stuff that has not previously been released...
Old 03.06.2008, 02:59 PM   #86
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
We haven't more than a day with the first mailing of Three Lobed's latest subscription series, Oscillation III. After multiple listens of multiple discs we're more than prepared to give some quick thoughts to those of you sitting on your hands, reluctant to shell out the dough.

Our early verdict? The first mailing is worth the price of admission alone.

Vanishing Voice – The Morning After

Perhaps the three most hauntingly devastating tracks Vanishing Voice have ever released. They continue to make James Toth a forgotten friend as they devour the dark side within The Morning After. As for this morning after, we’re afraid what led to such an ominous soundtrack to reflect the evening before. It’s safe to say that even George Romero on his best day couldn’t envision such a horrible musical aftermath.

If you only have room for one album that proclaims itself the soundtrack for the morning after, we’d certainly bet on Vanishing Voice over Pete Yorn.

Bark Haze - One for Merz

Andrew MacGregor (better known as Gown) and Thurston Moore (better known as Kim Gordon’s other half) team up once again as Bark Haze. For their contribution to Three Lobed’s Oscillation III series, we’re treated to 35 minutes on screeching tunnel vision. One for Merz is pure noise drone, though some of the harsher aspects of the sound have been replaced by Moore and MacGregor’s take on psychedelia and no wave—basically the same thing both virtuosos have been doing for years in their respective fields.

Tom Carter - Skyline Grinder

Carter, one-half of Charalambides, runs with the same thought as Bark Haze. Rather than focus on din, Carter chooses to explore the push/pull of quiet plucks amongst moments of eerie silence. As a 30 minute stand alone, it may fail to hit its mark—but when listened to in the midst of digesting the first six releases of Oscillation III, it becomes the zen center the series needs. It’s a welcomed calm—the palette cleanser.

Howlin Rain - Wild Life

Unlike their just-released second album Magnificent Fiend, Wild Life finds Howlin Rain delving into hard-rockin’ psychedelia. It could be due to Ben Chasny’s appearance but it’s more likely out of a willingness to turn the dial away from the classic rock station. Ethan Miller just needed a Comets on Fire fix and used his Howlin Rain mates and COF partner to score his fix. Just like your friend who’s more fun after a few beers, Wild Life will provide you with 30 minutes of cheap entertainment until everyone sobers up or passes out.

Jack Rose - I Do Play Rock & Roll

Don’t be alarmed—Jack Rose’s vision of rock and roll sounds vaguely like his vision on any other record you’ve listened to featuring Rose’s handy work. I Do Play Rock & Roll finds Rose plucking his strings with the same folkie fervor. Sure, we’d enjoy a Rose interpretation of “Welcome to the Jungle” or “Paranoid” but we’re also happy to sit back and listen in amazement as Rose unspools serenade after metallic serenade.

GHQ - Everywhere At Once

GHQ are dangling from the precipice, but when they stare deep into the blackened abyss beneath them they don’t find it staring back. Everywhere At Once finds Gunn and his liege doing what they do best—building upon understated drone and guitar noodlings. However dependable that may be, it’s time to bust out of that comfortable shell and GHQ have dared to do as much in quite awhile. Everywhere At Once is a fine addition to the band’s canon but amidst five progressive discs it will be lost.
http://community.livejournal.com/elecvp/84496.html
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2008, 12:59 PM   #87
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by threelobed
you haven't - it is all stuff that has not previously been released...

I didn't mean it that literally, just that I expect we'll have heard parts/elements of it before from the Drift DVD or from live recordings... like Drift has many recurring tape loops that can be heard on other solo albums (Ambient Loop for Vancouver, Oasis of Whispers, etc...). At least he's used the title before:
http://www.steim.org/steim/archief.php?id=119

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to it.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 09:12 AM   #88
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
I think this should be in your mailbox very soon...
Despite the biblical storm, it found its way to me this morning. I won't get a chance to listen to it for a few days though.

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 11:54 AM   #89
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
mine also arrived today, i'm going to chill now after getting soaked today, i don't know which one to put on first

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 12:59 PM   #90
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
mine also arrived today, i'm going to chill now after getting soaked today, i don't know which one to put on first

really? i didn't get mine. so hopefully tomorrow.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 01:04 PM   #91
threelobed
bad moon rising

awesome - glad to hear that they are popping up international waters!
Old 03.11.2008, 07:05 AM   #92
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
I had mine waiting for me this morning.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 11:39 AM   #93
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
aghrr, still not here.

Old 03.11.2008, 07:29 PM   #94
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
i got it! have to wait to listen to it.
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2008, 10:43 AM   #95
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I listened to all of these over the weekend and was very pleasantly surprised to find that there is no filler in any of these. I listened to the GHQ first, in light of the negative review above, this is the first GHQ recording made in a 'real' studio and sounds brilliant and clear - if you like their output last year on the 3lobed and Not Not Fun discs you'll dig this. The Tom Carter disc is a long synth drone piece that sounds to like old Jessamine to these fried ears, a welcome choice. The Bark Haze set sputters and buzzes, a Thurston side project with the noisy guitar slathering I love so much. Jack Rose turns in a pair of nice jangly finger pickins then a final dense gnarly drone not unlike his contribution on By The Fruits.... The Vanishing Voice is some interesting out-there collage work with Heidi's vocal intoning...the Holwing Rain kicks ass, juicy fried psyche that worked for me...A++
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2008, 11:04 AM   #96
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

rappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by threelobed
awesome - glad to hear that they are popping up international waters!
Mine arrived last week in Dutchland - cracking good stuff, Gromit!

rappard is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2008, 02:59 PM   #97
greenlight
invito al cielo

mine still not here for fuck sake

Old 03.17.2008, 03:14 PM   #98
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
mine still not here for fuck sake

you don't seem to have much luck when it comes to mail, maybe you should check to see if yr postman is wearing that purple ep tee and listening to some sweet tunes

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.18.2008, 09:15 AM   #99
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
ok mine isnt here yet either, but i m not worrying because i see you havent got yours yet.

ohh, I'm not only one then? I'm bit calm now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
you don't seem to have much luck when it comes to mail, maybe you should check to see if yr postman is wearing that purple ep tee and listening to some sweet tunes

that's true tho.

hold on....postman is in our estate......

Old 03.18.2008, 09:30 AM   #100
greenlight
invito al cielo

got it! postman just threw it into our mailbox (together with gas bill, hehe)! I swear. ripping the packing I am....

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth