Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: who do you prefer?
beefheart 18 85.71%
zappa 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11.05.2008, 10:44 AM   #21
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
sarramkrop, OK I'll bite. Why the hell did you post that?
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 11:41 AM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Bahaha, Syrfox, you try WAY too hard.

If you observe both statements instead of just reading the bolded letters, note I said "the only musicians currently around" when talking about Boredoms. Beefheart hasn't made in album in 27 years. Also, note that Beefheart is continuously called "genius" by everyone, including John Peel; there are no arguments about his genius -- hence why I said "he's DESERVEDLY called a genius"... whereas something like the Boredoms being geniuses probably is questionable amongst the music community. Finally, Beefheart is one person (he wrote all the music), Boredoms are a band. I think I made them pretty clear in both statements (noting Beefheart is a genius musician by himself -- to take nothing away from the Magic Band! -- and Boredoms is a genius band). As a band, they might be genius; I dunno about separately. Beefheart, though, is the be-all/end-all of genius music of the past 30 years to me and a lot of people.

Either way, I know you try really hard to appear intelligent and "cool" and I'm proud of you for your efforts but this incident actually comes off as creepy... and you failed at appearing as anything except creepy, so...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 11:45 AM   #23
sarramkrop

Even if the case was that atsonicpark had suddenly changed his mind, isn't that a human thing to do? Fuck, I sound like Morrisey typing this.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 11:56 AM   #24
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Either way, I know you try really hard to appear intelligent and "cool" and I'm proud of you for your efforts but this incident actually comes off as creepy... and you failed at appearing as anything except creepy, so...
i don't give a fuck about what people are thinking about me. i wasn't even trying to make a point - i just remembered the boredoms thread and thought "eh".
but it's nice to see you're always talking shit about people on here ("oooh they're all licking thurston's arse" "oooh they're all close minded" "oooh this board is declining" "oooh these threads sucks" - yet you're complaining about it), when you can't even support a simple message about you.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 11:57 AM   #25
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Even if the case was that atsonicpark had suddenly changed his mind, isn't that a human thing to do? Fuck, I sound like Morrisey typing this.
Of course he can - I recently bumped a thread about M.I.A. that I made ages ago, because I had changed my mind about her music, that I used to find boring. as i said, i wasn't even trying to make a particular point there
Old 11.05.2008, 12:05 PM   #26
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Let's all chill and make love.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 12:06 PM   #27
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
beefheart is our own syd barrett, living out a life of painterly obscurity in some Oregon coastal town...
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 12:09 PM   #28
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
beefheart is our own syd barrett, living out a life of painterly obscurity in some Oregon coastal town...

musically better, with all due respect.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 12:12 PM   #29
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Haha. My, aren't we defensive! Now we can all see you for how you really are -- the minute someone calls you out and doesn't go "my syrfox aren't you FUNNY and CLEVEr!" you freak out. That is funny. All I said was this particular incident was creepy; not sure if that's "talking shit". I guess I'm just.. uh.. honest... when.. I reply.. to things.. if that's okay with you?... I know that's really weird (and not "cool") but I call it like I see it. Who cares? I know that since I'm knowledgable about things and can't stand closeminded idiots (of which, admittingly, there are very few of on this board, which is why I continue to post here), I'm automatically an asshole. I've accepted that. It sucks to actually know things! I wouldn't suggest it to anyone!

By the way, I'm curious when I said "these threads suck" (except the I Want to Be Beaten Thread that you started, which is honestly a sucky thread, though it's kinda fun in all its suckiness). Come on, quote man, pull me up some quotes of me insulting people's threads and talkin' dat mad shit that I guess I do so often!.. I mean, since we're getting technical here, you're the one derailing this particular thread; I'm curious, do you even listen to Beefheart or Zappa? If not, then your entire point (even though you're not trying to make a point apparently) of replying to this thread was to try to make me appear like I could possibly, at some point, in 12000 posts, say a sentence that isn't totally in complete alignment with another sentence I made in another thread a month or two ago. You can't see the, uh, assholeishness.. or the creepiness.. in that?

Also, I supported my point quite nicely thank you.

I ain't mad or anything, just amused. And I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong -- fuck, I'll THANK YOU for proving me wrong. But in this case, well.. let me quote Beefheart... "I bite the end of your sash, then I'm off in a flash... and now I'm long gone, to Hong Kong."

Old 11.05.2008, 12:23 PM   #30
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
Beefheart may be technically more innovative, weird, and interesting. He's more groundbreaking and experimental...but Zappa is more accessible and I think that deserves a lot of credit. If it weren't for Zappa, most people would never have heard of Beefheart. I think the accessibility and influence gives Zappa the edge.

Bottom line - I much more frequently pull out a Zappa album for enjoyment than I do a Beefheart album.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 12:29 PM   #31
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Beefheart, no contest.

If Zappa had ended his career in the 70s, it'd be a closer call.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 01:04 PM   #32
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
supercreep, you didnt like SHIP ARRIVING TOO LATE? The title track has some of the crazy changes in I've ever heard. Just curious.
Old 11.05.2008, 01:28 PM   #33
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
On our way from Stockholm
Started to snow
And you said it was like Christmas
But you were wrong
It wasn't like Christmas at all

By the time we got to Oslo
Snow was gone
And we got lost
The beds were small
But we felt so young
It was just like Christmas

This song is frequently in my head as I cycle home from work.

Oh, and Beefheart. Zappa is the paradigm of 'masses of talent, fuck all tuneage'. He's not even enjoyable in a tech-metal way. It's too obviously preposterous, too forced in its ridiculousness to be taken seriously by anyone (and I'm sure at least Herr Marras knows what I mean by 'taking ridiculousness seriously').

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 01:53 PM   #34
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Haha. My, aren't we defensive! Now we can all see you for how you really are -- the minute someone calls you out and doesn't go "my syrfox aren't you FUNNY and CLEVEr!" you freak out.
Uh? isn't that what you're doing as well? I did not freak out at all

Quote:
That is funny. All I said was this particular incident was creepy; not sure if that's "talking shit". I guess I'm just.. uh.. honest... when.. I reply.. to things.. if that's okay with you?...
okay, cool. i was just being honest as well. i hope that's okay with you as well
"incident" closed (I didn't even know it was an incident, actually.)
Old 11.05.2008, 01:56 PM   #35
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Sure.

Old 11.05.2008, 02:02 PM   #36
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
He's not even enjoyable in a tech-metal way.

I'm not really sure what you mean by tech-metal. My guess is that yr saying it's not even enjoyable based simply on the merits of how technical the playing is. And if that is what yr saying, then I disagree big time. I've never been into like prog-rock or Phish or anything like that, but a lot of Zappa music makes me go "what the fu... HOW did they do THAT? Wow! Awesome!" Just saying.
Old 11.05.2008, 02:49 PM   #37
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Zappa is the paradigm of 'masses of talent, fuck all tuneage'.

if this is true, then why is he popular with so many mainstream music fans who understand nothing about musical skill and only care about catchy tunes??

cosmik debri is as good tune as you can ask for as far as i am concerned
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 03:43 PM   #38
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
if this is true, then why is he popular with so many mainstream music fans who understand nothing about musical skill and only care about catchy tunes??

cosmik debri is as good tune as you can ask for as far as i am concerned

You make it sound like a catchy tune is a bad thing.
I love noise, but it definitely takes talent to put something together to appeal to a huge amount of people.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 03:45 PM   #39
sarramkrop

Leave it to us europeans to teach you how weird is done preoperly. you're american, what would you know?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 03:49 PM   #40
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangajunky
You make it sound like a catchy tune is a bad thing.
I love noise, but it definitely takes talent to put something together to appeal to a huge amount of people.

i think you misinterpreted since i was basically saying zappa is a good artist because his music is catchy, to counteract the statement that zappa is all talent and no tunage, i was saying it's impossible for him be zero tunage,since many people who's tastes are based mostly on tunefulness love him
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth