Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page but is it really art? i mean, come on...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.04.2010, 02:12 PM   #61
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 02:16 PM   #62
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Glice clearly has a phobia over differences of opinion. The loopy cunt.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 02:18 PM   #63
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
is this because Art is a field of human endeavor where the results are supposedly up for judging by anyone, regardless of their knowledge of art history, art movements, artists, symbolism, etc.?

only an idiot presumes to know how to judge scientific research without deep knowledge of the subject. In art, a purely personal judgement of "I like it," or "I don't like it," is given weight regardless of who says it.
I think that second statement is partially untrue. I read New Scientist and feel somehow qualified to talk about string theory. Doesn't mean I seriously understand it. It's that old adage (which I'll have to paraphrase) about 'if everyone only spoke on subjects they knew about, all across the world would be a profound silence'.

The point I was trying to make was that science doesn't come up against the same popular friction that a lot of art does. Obviously, this is because the procedures of science are obscure to most, and also essential to the subject at hand, while the procedures of art are obscure but largely less essential.

I don't know. It's complicated. All I'm saying is that every fucker in the world has an opinion on artworks they largely haven't experienced, while scientists the world over are doing experiments on precisely fuck all.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 01.04.2010, 02:19 PM   #64
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
Glice clearly has a phobia over differences of opinion. The loopy cunt.

Quote:
Old 01.04.2010, 02:25 PM   #65
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Oh dear. Someone who thinks oppositely to him must be a troll. But if we go down his road in his fevered way of thinking, wouldn't that make him a troll for thinking oppositely to the rest of us?
Old 01.04.2010, 02:27 PM   #66
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses

Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 02:29 PM   #67
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Oh dear. Someone who thinks oppositely to him must be a troll. But if we go down his road in his fevered way of thinking, wouldn't that make him a troll for thinking oppositely to the rest of us?
'Opposite' suggest you have a diametrically opposed point to mine; you don't, you're just being an antagonistic cunt. To repeat:

Quote:
Old 01.04.2010, 02:30 PM   #68
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
I like the hose.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 02:31 PM   #69
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
That's what I hear on the street.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 02:36 PM   #70
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Art is a nebulous term.
If everything is art then nothing is art.
a hose is not art. putting a hose on the ground and labeling it as an art piece does not make it art. it makes it a joke. the joke is on anyone who would consider such a stupid thing to be art.

if a hose on the ground speaks to you then you gots some issues.
This is one of those rare instances when I totally agree with you. To call some hose on the floor modern art, let alone art per se, is like saying that any artist in 2010 can seriously claim to sincerely see art where there isn't any 24/7. That attitude seems to me more dated than modern. Also, it confuses, deliberatly or not, the very concept of what makes a work aesthetically modern, rather than an pedantic joke.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 02:42 PM   #71
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

There will be an exhibition of my posts, framed, which have riled Glice to the point of insanity, in the Tate Modern this coming spring.
Old 01.04.2010, 02:44 PM   #72
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Shove 'em up your arse.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 02:47 PM   #73
Glice
invito al cielo

These pictures tickle me.

Seriously though, do you have any intention of engaging in an actual discussion? Because if you really, really want a discussion on art, and aren't going to fall back on hackneyed clichés, then PM me. If you're just going to insist on this shit antagonism, then I'll insist on posting a not-very-funny picture after every one of your posts I see.

Edit: not you Marras, obviously.

Quote:
Old 01.04.2010, 03:00 PM   #74
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

My exhibition will be titled "The Riling of Glice on SYG." Admission is free to those who have also riled Glice on SYG.
Old 01.04.2010, 03:03 PM   #75
Glice
invito al cielo

That's a no then, is it?

Quote:
Old 01.04.2010, 03:07 PM   #76
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
the museum paid for that? That museum is an idiot.
Old 01.04.2010, 03:17 PM   #77
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
if the museum paid for that, oh man.

I would like it better if it was a joke played by one of the staffers, putting a label on a hose to play a prank on the patrons of the museum.
Old 01.04.2010, 05:00 PM   #78
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
i remember me and my boy making fake labels like that and putting them up to things that could be called an installation if put in a museum. for instance, when there was a dummy with all types of bandages in a pharmacist's window, we'd put a label next to it that read 'the sickness of this world by *insert made-up name here*

some of those are still around, i think.

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 05:12 PM   #79
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Pseuds toss the word "art" like confetti to describe all kinds of everyday shit. Going to the shop. Art! Picking your nose. Art! Uisng the toilet. Art! No wonder modern art is treated with such ridicule and disdain by the general public.

sounds like you are referring to some artists in the fluxus movement who thought 'i am an artist so what i do is art' and documented everything they did in pictures, notes and film. (like Vautier) these days there is ai wei wei who takes about 700 pictures a day. it's a way of looking at life.

i've always thought that art was something someone made up or put together, and it moves people in a way. you could say a beautiful nature photograph isn't art because the landscape was already there, but the photographer put a frame around a part of it and made a choice, which is what makes it art. a lot of modern art is rubbish, but some pieces just manage to touch people in a certain way, and provoke very different reactions (think about neuman's 'who's afraid of red, yellow and blue': it's a large red canvas with some blue and yellow stripes on it but apparently it makes people so mad they want to destroy it)

there was a french sociologist, pierre bourdieu, he did a whole project about people's taste and then divided the general public in three classes: worker's class, middle class and higher class. worker's class tend to like things they recognise from their world and culture, they see art as decorative and functional (it has to match the other things in the house) and appreciate materials and craftmanship. the highest class are the 'trendsetters', they appreciate 'art' at its finest and would rather build a house around one painting than find a painting that matches the couch. those two classes are the only ones with their own taste, since all the middle class does is copy the high class so they won't be associated with the worker's class. the middle class has no taste of her own and is constantly worried about having the right things to fit in.

i'm not too sure if i fully agree on this since it's a survey from the late sixties and communication has expanded a lot since then... art and culture have become a lot more democratic.

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 05:23 PM   #80
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it does make a lot of sense though.

I hate me rich fucks who "borrow" art from galleries to hang in their homes to "see if they love it" when their whole intention is to have it for a few months, throw several dinner and cocktail parties to talk about the art, thereby letting them judge whether their friends are jealous enough of them to warrant actual purchase of this art.

they ussually return it a few months later, paying nothing but handling fees. cocksmear rich fucks.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth