Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new/most anticipated albums of 2019
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.30.2019, 04:01 PM   #241
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
From The Wire:

Quote:
Unreleased 1964 John Coltrane record coming out on Impulse!

Mastered from the original analogue tapes, it's released on 27 September

A previously unheard John Coltrane recording is about to be unveiled by Impulse!. Called Blue World, it showcases a selection of older works Coltrane rerecorded with his Classic Quartet in 1964.

Coltrane had been approached by the Quebecois film maker Gilles Groulx to soundtrack his film Le Chat Dans Le Sac. The saxophonist went to the Van Gelder Studios with Jimmy Garrison, Elvin Jones and McCoy Tyner, but only ten minutes' worth of music made the final cut.

Blue World features various takes of five tracks recorded at the session. These include a few versions of "Village Blues" from Coltrane Jazz (1961), two takes of "Naima", plus versions of "Like Sonny" and "Traneing In" and its title track "Blue World". It follows the 2018 release of Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album from 1963.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2019, 05:23 PM   #242
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
I have never been on twitter.
it’s garbage. no sweat.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2019, 05:23 PM   #243
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
From The Wire:

i got palpitations reading that

x

also, the approaching lightning bölt xD
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2019, 03:27 PM   #244
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses

R.E.M. Announce Monster Box Set Reissue, Share "What's the Frequency, Kenneth? (Remix)"
Monster 25th Anniversary Reissue Due Out November 1 via Craft Recordings

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 09.07.2019, 03:45 AM   #245
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
This record should be played at Mar-A-Vago at ear-dissolving volume.

DT: What is that fuckin' racket?!

Assistant: It's a tropical storm, Mr. President.

DT: Well turn it down!

Assistant: I'm sorry, sir, there's nothing we can do about it. It's a tropical fuck storm.

DT: What did you just say to me?!

Assistant: A tropical FUCK storm, sir. It used to be drones.

DT: What?! I can't hear ya!

Assistant: AUSTRALIAN DRONES, sir. But they got pissed off because you wouldn't do jack shit about climate change, or anything else for that matter, and you keep shitting on the world in every fucking possible way imaginable, so they mutated into a TROPICAL FUCK STORM.

DT: Fuck you!!!

Assistant: No, tropical FUCK YOU, ASSHOLE!

From Bandcamp Daily:

Tropical Fuck Storm Stir Up A Psychedelic, Dadaist Spectacle

Old 09.07.2019, 03:54 AM   #246
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Guess what? We are releasing 2 new songs today via Merge Records!
"It's Real" is the title track off our latest album! It wasn't on the record - we saved it for you because we like to save the best for last! Check it out on your favorite streaming service! Also check out our cover of the legendary Slant 6's song "What Kind Of Monster Are You?" We recorded it in Mary's basement a few years ago and never released it.

https://exhexband.bandcamp.com/album...onster-are-you

Old 09.08.2019, 12:13 AM   #247
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
FINALLY got the new Bertucci. Good. Not mind blowing, but I had been looking forward to it a while.

Nice interview with Lea (and you can stream the album) here:

https://www.thewire.co.uk/audio/trac...-album-in-full

Old 09.09.2019, 01:00 AM   #248
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Bob Mould's take on Buzzcocks' "I Don't Mind" is now available via Bandcamp. And you fuckers should buy it.

https://bobmould.bandcamp.com/album/i-dont-mind

Old 09.09.2019, 03:07 AM   #249
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Green Day are announcing their new album tomorrow, in case you want something new to complain about. (Even though it'll probably be not that good, I'm hyped.)
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2019, 03:29 AM   #250
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
from Pitchfork:
Quote:
Glenn Branca’s New Album The Third Ascension Announced

The posthumous LP was recorded live at the Kitchen in 2016

Glenn Branca (Photo by Kristy Sparow/Getty Images).

In February 2016, avant-garde composer Glenn Branca conducted a new work titled The Third Ascension over the course of two nights at New York’s experimental venue the Kitchen. Now, recordings from those concerts have been collected into a new album, also called The Third Ascension. The new LP marks the first release from Branca since his death in 2018. It arrives October 4 via SYSTEMS NEUTRALIZERS.

The Third Ascension was written for four electric guitars, bass, and drums. Branca utilized this structure on his legendary 1981 release The Ascension as well as 2010’s The Ascension: The Sequel.
In conjunction with the release of The Third Ascension, the Glenn Branca Ensemble will perform Branca’s works for guitar at Saint Vitus in Brooklyn on October 6 (what would have been Branca’s 71st birthday). The performance will mark the group’s first since Branca passed.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2019, 07:47 AM   #251
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
New JPEGMafia
Naw Danny Brown
New Anna Wise
New Swans
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2019, 08:30 AM   #252
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
New Pita, out on October 25.

https://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/pi...-editions-mego
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2019, 10:38 PM   #253
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out November 1: CUP - Spinning Creature

Quote:
CUP is the duo of Nels Cline (the guitarist/composer best known for his work with Wilco) and Yuka C Honda (the composer/keyboardist/programmer best known for her work with Cibo Matto). Combining aspects of electronica, folk, improvisation, and some heated rocking, this debut recording—perhaps predictably—defies easy categorization. But fear not! Contained within this package is a sometimes sweet, sometimes jarring, but always compelling excursion into what a shared sensibility sounds like, and after taking the journey that is Spinning Creature it all feels just right as CUP's music veers from the accessible to the abstract and back.

Spinning Creature was recorded in about three days in Brooklyn. In the last several years, Nels and Yuka had performed some of the songs included on this record, while always leaving room for improvisation in their sets as well. This recording was approached with those same parameters. Thus, one hears songs with lyrics and some semblance of song structure as well as pieces that were created spontaneously. A significant bonus factor in the recording process is that Yuka could take tracks to her home studio and give them the "Eucademix" treatment, meaning to sculpt details of the tracks, adding her often meticulous sound production while still honoring the live performance aspects. This balance is what CUP music is all about. Nels and Yuka (who are married, by the way) even sing a little here and there as they enter their singular sound world. And now you can enter it, too!

NELS CLINE - Guitars, Percussion, Bamboo Flute, Vocal
YUKA C. HONDA - Electronics, Drum Machine, Piano, Synths, Vocal

https://cupmusicentity.bandcamp.com/...ing-creature-2

Click on image ^ to hear the new single (the title track), and below to watch its accompanying video:

Quote:
This is perhaps our most atypical song in that it began from/is centered around an acoustic 12-string guitar part and on which Yuka and I both sing. We wrote the lyrics together, which is also atypical, and well, it's really a SONG, with a repeating chorus and everything! It might even be catchy! As to what it's about, I think it's best left up to the listener to assess that, though when you see the accompanying video that Yuka created it may become quite obvious.

Old 09.11.2019, 11:39 PM   #254
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

YO WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLES, why didn't you tell me about this? Out now:

From Folk Radio (a site I didn't even know existed) with a coupla notes from yours truly:

Quote:
Richard Thompson's The Cold Blue – Original Motion Picture Score is out now via New West Records. The 19-track score was written and arranged by Thompson for the acclaimed filmmaker Erik Nelson's film of the same name. Initially available for digital download and across all major streaming services, Thompson's original motion picture score will see a physical release in the coming months [that already happened, see links below] and can be heard in full here.

In 1943, William Wyler, one of Hollywood's most renowned and versatile directors, went to Europe to document air war in progress for his film The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress. Wyler flew actual combat missions with B-17s and during production, one of his cameramen, Harold Tannenbaum, was lost along with his plane over France. The footage was filmed during the spring and summer on 8th Air Force bases in England, and on bombing missions over Europe. Incredibly, all of Wyler's original 16-millimeter footage shot for The Memphis Belle was recently discovered deep in the vaults of the National Archives. The filmmaker Erik Nelson constructed the new documentary, The Cold Blue, out of the silent material as well as new interviews he conducted with nine surviving B-17 crewmen. The veterans' voices take us through the harrowing world that Wyler and his cameramen captured in the summer of 1943. Painstakingly restoring every frame, Nelson removed dust spots and scratches, and restored the colour of the original footage. A meditation on youth, war and trauma, The Cold Blue stands as a tribute to one of the world's great filmmakers and the men of the 8th Air Force who flew mission after suicidal mission in the Second World War.

[The Cold Blue trailer]

For The Cold Blue – Original Motion Picture Score, Richard Thompson brought together a small chamber orchestra comprised of four french horns, a string quartet, double bass, oboe, clarinet, harmonica and percussion. The orchestra was conducted by Peter Askim and recorded at Capitol Studios in Los Angeles, CA.

Speaking to NPR, Richard Thompson said, "I wrote almost wall to wall music... Scoring under speech was less of an issue than competing with the noise of the aircraft; I had to be sensitive to the droning of the engines being in (or close to) certain musical keys, and cues were written from this basis sometimes." Continuing, "Every burst of ack-ack, every empty shell case landing on the floor of the plane, every whine of the Pratt and Whitney engines, all contribute to the emotion of the moment, and it is always the role of the music to push those emotions a little further."

Of Thompson's score, Nelson stated, "I've known Richard Thompson for close to 40 years, and I should have learned by now never to take him — or his work — for granted. I was stunned at how deep he dove into the nuances of The Cold Blue, to create a whole original score that both speaks to the time of the events depicted, and to our times today. I can't imagine any other artist capturing the essence of this project in quite the same way, with quite the same articulation and clarity of purpose. And, oh yeah, he DOES know his way around World War Two airplanes."

Richard Thompson's musical influence cannot be overstated. Having co-founded the groundbreaking group Fairport Convention as a teenager in the 60s, he and his bandmates invented the distinctive strain of British Folk Rock. He left the group by the age of 21 which was followed by a decade long musical partnership with his then-wife Linda, to over 30 years as a highly successful solo artist. In 2011, Thompson received an OBE. The Los Angeles Times called him the finest rock songwriter after Dylan and the best electric guitarist since Hendrix, and Rolling Stone has named him one of the Top 100 Guitarists of All Time. He has received lifetime achievement awards for songwriting from Britain's BBC Folk Awards, the Americana Music Association, and was awarded the prestigious Ivor Novello Award. His song "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" was named one of TIME magazine's "100 Greatest Songs Since 1923." A wide range of musicians have recorded Thompson's songs, including Robert Plant, Elvis Costello, R.E.M., Sleater-Kinney, Del McCoury, Bonnie Raitt, Tom Jones, David Byrne, Don Henley, Los Lobos, and many more. His massive body of work includes many Grammy-nominated albums as well as numerous soundtracks, including Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man. Thompson's genre defying mastery of both acoustic and electric guitar along with engaging energy and onstage wit continue to earn him new fans and a place as one of the most distinctive virtuosos and writers in Folk Rock history. In 2018, Thompson released his critically acclaimed studio album 13 Rivers (Folk Radio review | Interview), which Uncut magazine called "His best album in decades." [Well, they called it his best since Mock Tudor and that one's from 1999, so... I guess decades, yes, but the vast majority of what he's done in between is the shit, so it wasn't like a Time Out Of Mind resurrection or summat.]

https://www.richardthompson-music.com/

https://www.theconnextion.com/richar...178&prodlist=1

https://www.richardthompson-music.com/ukstorecd

Old 09.13.2019, 06:58 AM   #255
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
JPEGMafia - All My Heroes are Cornballs
Old 09.14.2019, 01:10 AM   #256
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

From Uncut:

Quote:
Prince's 1999 to be reissued with 35 unreleased tracks
Super Deluxe Edition also includes a live DVD and handwritten lyrics

Prince's 1982 breakthrough album 1999 will be reissued on November 29 in a variety of formats, including a Super Deluxe Edition boasting 35 previously unreleased tracks.

That includes 23 studio tracks recorded between November 1981 and January 1983, as well as a complete live audio performance of the 1999 tour recorded in Detroit on November 30, 1982.

The Super Deluxe Edition also includes a DVD containing another complete, previously unreleased concert from the 1999 tour, recorded at the Houston Summit on December 29, 1982, as well as Prince's previously unseen handwritten lyrics for several songs from the era, plus rare photography from Allen Beaulieu.

A Deluxe Edition features the newly-remastered album plus all attendant B-sides and remixes. Standard editions will also be available.

Check out the tracklisting for the 5CD+DVD or 10LP+DVD Super Deluxe Edition of 1999 below:

CD1 / LP 1&2
Remastered Album

1 1999
2 Little Red Corvette
3 Delirious
4 Let's Pretend We’re Married
5 D.M.S.R.
6 Automatic
7 Something In The Water (Does Not Compute)
8 Free
9 Lady Cab Driver
10 All The Critics Love U In New York
11 International Lover

CD2 / LP 3&4
Promo Mixes & B-Sides

1 1999 (7" stereo edit)
2 1999 (7" mono promo-only edit)
3 Free (promo-only edit)
4 How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore? ("1999" b-side)
5 Little Red Corvette (7" edit)
6 All The Critics Love U In New York (7" edit)
7 Lady Cab Driver (7" edit)
8 Little Red Corvette (Dance Remix promo-only edit)
9 Little Red Corvette (Special Dance Mix)
10 Delirious (7" edit)
11 Horny Toad ("Delirious" b-side)
12 Automatic (7" edit)
13 Automatic (video version)
14 Let's Pretend We're Married (7" edit)
15 Let's Pretend We're Married (7" mono promo-only edit)
16 Irresistible Bitch ("Let's Pretend We're Married" b-side)
17 Let's Pretend We're Married (video version)
18 D.M.S.R. (edit)

CD3 / LP 5&6
Vault, Part 1

1 Feel U Up
2 Irresistible Bitch
3 Money Don't Grow On Trees
4 Vagina
5 Rearrange
6 Bold Generation
7 Colleen
8 International Lover (Take 1, live in studio)
9 Turn It Up
10 You're All I Want
11 Something In The Water (Does Not Compute) (Original Version)
12 If It'll Make U Happy
13 How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore? (Take 2, live in studio)
All tracks previously unreleased

CD4 / LP 7&8
Vault, Part 2

1 Possessed (1982 version)
2 Delirious (full length)
3 Purple Music
4 Yah, You Know
5 Moonbeam Levels **
6 No Call U
7 Can't Stop This Feeling I Got
8 Do Yourself A Favor
9 Don't Let Him Fool Ya
10 Teacher, Teacher
11 Lady Cab Driver / I Wanna Be Your Lover / Head / Little Red Corvette (tour demo)
All tracks previously unreleased except **, released on the 2016 compilation 4Ever

CD5 / LP 9&10
Live In Detroit – November 30, 1982 (midnight show)

1 Controversy
2 Let's Work
3 Little Red Corvette
4 Do Me, Baby
5 Head
6 Uptown
7 Interlude
8 How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore?
9 Automatic
10 International Lover
11 1999
12 D.M.S.R.

DVD
Live In Houston – December 29, 1982

1 Controversy
2 Let's Work
3 Do Me, Baby
4 D.M.S.R.
5 Interlude – piano improvisation (contains elements of "With You")
6 How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore?
7 Lady Cab Driver
8 Automatic
9 International Lover
10 1999
11 Head (contains elements of "Sexuality")

https://www.amazon.com/1999-Super-De...3LD/ref=sr_1_2

https://www.amazon.com/1999-Deluxe-2...5PQ/ref=sr_1_7

Old 09.14.2019, 02:21 AM   #257
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Y'all might like HTRK's Venus in Leo. Kim nd of dreamy and dark, echo delay guitars, drum machine, sultry singer.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2019, 07:16 AM   #258
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Y'all might like HTRK's Venus in Leo. Kim nd of dreamy and dark, echo delay guitars, drum machine, sultry singer.

Yup, definitely loving that one. Psychic 9-5 Club is excellent too, obviously
Old 09.14.2019, 06:55 PM   #259
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Work, Work, Work is still my favorite. Produced by Zebrablood from Excepter, one of my favorite bands.

Their 3rd member committed suicide during the recording. It's awful and tragic, but the emotion that came through is earth shattering. I've been a fan since their first album.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2019, 01:52 PM   #260
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Work, Work, Work is still my favorite. Produced by Zebrablood from Excepter, one of my favorite bands.

Their 3rd member committed suicide during the recording. It's awful and tragic, but the emotion that came through is earth shattering. I've been a fan since their first album.

I’m lame. I only got into them in 2014 with Psychic 9-5.
So after digesting that album, I made my way to Nostalgia and Marty Me Tonight. Work (Work Work) is probably the one I’m least familiar with, but I definitely dig the vibe of thy album, though it is pretty bleak.

I wasn’t even aware of the Excepter connection, but fuck yeah Excepter.
101112 13 141516 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth