Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page laptop advice
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.16.2010, 01:20 AM   #41
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by space
7 seems like a pale rip-off of X

mac os is highly superior in functionality and lack of bloatedness than windows has been (typically), but I don't mind 7 (so far)

that said, I don't look forward to having to still fuck with defrags after all the install/uninstalling happens. THAT is the best thing about macs. when you delete something...that shit is GONE.

I <4 deleting stuff.

Like I said, I've only sen "7" for about a cople days.... it seems pretty clean and more intuitive than their past... but that being said, they are succumbing to some of the aesthetics that have been staples of Mac OS for the last decade..... it was only a matter of time. the things I like about 7 are things that I am familiar with and things that more resemble Macs OS.... (just me)

you do realize that the things that "Windows" are marketing as "improvements" tailored to it users, as created by it's users, are simply Mac OS features ever since?

Regardless, I hope that 7 and even the PC I just bought works out great. I hope this system, as a gaming PC last my son for about 4-5 years. I also hope that yours works out great for you.... what's your games?

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2010, 09:04 AM   #42
space
expwy. to yr skull

space kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's asses
playing WoW (again) right now because it allows mutual game-time with mah-gurl, waiting for verme to stop drinking long enough to play Dawn of War, although the newer Dawn of War 2 will run on this computer, is cheap and god I love Warhammer 40k....so I might pick that up.

we built my son's desktop and he mostly plays half-life 2 Gary's mod (and sometimes EVE)...it's a nice rig but my laptop is better.
space is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2010, 01:03 PM   #43
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Well for me I love my MAC. I'm not a super techie by any means but I have been dealing with computers for 25 plus years. I worked for Digital so we were locked into the Windows since time began. I have never had such user friendly software in my life as I do now. No more waiting 10 minutes for everything to load up so I could surf or even use Office. Granted someone with knowledge could probably get around that but still when I download different software to use on my MAC such as bittorrent, play, switch etc. they work, it seem yo me whenever I tried to bring this stuff to a PC something was missing a particular registry file etc. So much less typing now, point and click, drag, and drop all functions way ahead. So if you're a novice a beginner and not interested in gaming do yourself a favor and buy a MAC
Old 05.17.2010, 04:03 PM   #44
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshChops
.... see, that is cute and clever philosophies, it really is, except for the fact that you COMPLETELY under-mind the reality the Apple's building more stable hardware and software. It would be accurate if it were judged simply by one vs. the others marketing strategies... but you don't comment on the reality of eithers competence or flaws. Can I assume, aside from seeing a few Apple commercials and passing an Apple store, you actually know Jack shit about Apple's products, and OS? And could care less, especially if it needs to be explained, but I assure you, they don't come ANY MORE evil and cut-throat as Bill Gates.... ASSURED!

the fascists and nazis were rather successful industrialists as well, but their pure evil negates any positive impacts to our society. (and btw, I do know all bout your little out-dated, underpowered, novelty computer company that has to keep inventing new cheesy crap to stay in the market)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2010, 07:51 PM   #45
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
cracking the case voids applecare. and we all know that if you don't buy applecare....yr FUCKED. fucked isn't even the right word. ASSRAPED comes closer.

lolproprietary

That's 100% fucking bullshit. I've installed new hard drives and crap into my god damn macbook laptop. You don't really get to customize on your own as much, sure. But you also don't really need to, so it's a net win for 99% of people.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2010, 08:12 PM   #46
space
expwy. to yr skull

space kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's asses
did you install that WITH applecare intact? the fine print says that messing with it, voids warranty.

I'm not saying that I couldn't physically do it, but WHY when I paid for the "geniuses" to fix it? and why is it called genius bar anyways? are they? no, not so much!!

items returned for "fixing": ibook (xtimes?), imac (3-4x?) "yeah, my, uh, Big Blunts cd won't eject.." and "my screen has crazy stripe on it" and "uh...my HD is fried" and "uh....I just picked this up and it's still fucked", ex's iphone (7-8x??). seriously...new phone each time, my iphone (once, but needs to go again).
Old 05.17.2010, 11:37 PM   #47
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
the fascists and nazis were rather successful industrialists as well, but their pure evil negates any positive impacts to our society. (and btw, I do know all bout your little out-dated, underpowered, novelty computer company that has to keep inventing new cheesy crap to stay in the market)

yeah, once again, you missed the whole point about the company that is "building more stable hardware and software", especially the operating system. I mutha'fucking guarantee you don't know shit about Apple other than you don't like their commercials / image. I'm more than happy to have a logical debate with you about... but to say that Apple is an out-dated, underpowered, novelty computer that has to keep inventing....." is nothing more than ignorant and bitter childishness. Not liking the success of a company with all of your ignorant, childish angst, doesn't put them in the class of fascists. If your description of Apple's integrity is accurate, how is it that they continue to produce the industry leading technology that others can only constantly strive to follow... like those silly little iPhones you refer to. You've said nothing about either's operating systems.. That's what it's all about right (you know, what happens from the time you turn it on and turn it off)? Oh yeah, there's that: hurry, go wiki it......

The fact that you summarize the two as either fascist or communist is laughable and should divert any debate but, hey, there's no fun in that?

If, let's just pretend, hypothetically...... if a company came up, against all odds, focused on quality and integrity made unarguably superior systems... how could they go about it to appease you. At what point does it become non-fascist? See, all I hear is you hating on them because of the success they have and the reputation they've earned. Is it possible for a company to be profitable and successful without being "evil" as you put it.... or are you still stuck in that 16 yr's old outlook w/ angst?

Old 05.18.2010, 12:56 AM   #48
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka
So if you're a novice a beginner and not interested in gaming do yourself a favor and buy a MAC

Or a designer.

I love Mac products. I've owned PCs, which I started on since I was a kid, and then converted to Apple. I'd never go back.
Old 05.18.2010, 03:30 PM   #49
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yeah, once again, you missed the whole point about the company that is "building more stable hardware and software", especially the operating system. I mutha'fucking guarantee you don't know shit about Apple other than you don't like their commercials / image. I'm more than happy to have a logical debate with you about... but to say that Apple is an out-dated, underpowered, novelty computer that has to keep inventing....." is nothing more than ignorant and bitter childishness. Not liking the success of a company with all of your ignorant, childish angst, doesn't put them in the class of fascists. If your description of Apple's integrity is accurate, how is it that they continue to produce the industry leading technology that others can only constantly strive to follow... like those silly little iPhones you refer to. You've said nothing about either's operating systems.. That's what it's all about right (you know, what happens from the time you turn it on and turn it off)? Oh yeah, there's that: hurry, go wiki it......

The fact that you summarize the two as either fascist or communist is laughable and should divert any debate but, hey, there's no fun in that?

If, let's just pretend, hypothetically...... if a company came up, against all odds, focused on quality and integrity made unarguably superior systems... how could they go about it to appease you. At what point does it become non-fascist? See, all I hear is you hating on them because of the success they have and the reputation they've earned. Is it possible for a company to be profitable and successful without being "evil" as you put it.... or are you still stuck in that 16 yr's old outlook w/ angst?

what, you say all this bullshit as to if to imply that I am somehow supporting windows over apple? I say lets go back to letter writing..

maybe you missed something.

Quote:
but their pure evil negates any positive impacts to our society.

Jesus, those fascist bastards have gotten to you haven't they..

Old 05.19.2010, 01:15 AM   #50
FreshChops
100%

Quote:
what, you say all this bullshit as to if to imply that I am somehow supporting windows over apple? I say lets go back to letter writing..

maybe you missed something.

Jesus, those fascist bastards have gotten to you haven't they..

a'ight, but I could have swore we were talking about the benefits and better of the the two's products??? whatever.....

the fact that you sum up either Microsoft and Apple as communism or fascism is like saying everything is either Christian or Satanic.... I just don't see it so black and white. I think Apple runs slick marketing and controls their image well enough (as probably could be expected), but I really don't see how they, as a successful company based off of the success and acceptance of the "products" (not image) fall under fascists when I don't know how they could do it any other way... or at least any other way to appease you. I put myself in their shoes, I don't think they've crossed any lines in regards to marketing etc. They've just stood behind their products, unapologetically. It's kinda cute actually... your referral to them as Nazi's and Fascist, and from a fast glimps makes sense, but it's not that simple in my mind.... actually: Microsoft's morals exceed evil beyond communism, and Apple is really nothing more than confident (if not cocky) marketing to back up superior products.... big deal? It's really, simply called, good business.... maybe that's what you don't understand and what I revert to, but either way.... if you're sarcasm comes down to how both are so evil..... I was asking, from a business point of view... let's say Apple's, how do they go about it to not be deemed fascists? Is clever or successful business deemed fascism these days.... geesh, that's so hip!

As far as "Apple, the fascist bastards have gotten too me"..... first off WTF are you talking about.... second, I'm talking about one's product over the others, right.. from the beginning? At what point do you conclude I'm bought into a fascist regime? What part about, I own multiple systems of each brand and protest the Apples are far more superior and more tolerable.... do you conclude I've bought into a fascist regime? You sound like a babbling 15 year old trying to understand the world.... Bi'otch!

Old 05.19.2010, 01:36 AM   #51
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
hardware in the OP looks like it'd be compatible with ideneb (hackinstosh/osx86) so I see no reason to pay the extra prestige pricing for a macbook when you can use the system's hardware just fine on two great OSes for way cheaper.
Old 05.19.2010, 01:40 AM   #52
FreshChops
100%

^^ yes to this, granted what the OP said is his priority.... GAMING!

PC>MAC-Gaming (no contest)

if you're doing graphic design or music production - fuck PC

Old 05.19.2010, 01:43 AM   #53
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
I brought a Dell XPS M1530; 3gb of ram; Vista Premium Home; 8600m GT with 256mb VRAM; Intel core 2 duo; mainly as an allergic reaction against too much macbook... I don't know why; just felt like not buying a macbook... brought 2 years ago and it's served me fine so far; i even hooked it up to my 40" HDTV OK... but it's getting outdated...
Old 05.19.2010, 01:49 AM   #54
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
^^ yes to this, granted what the OP said is his priority.... GAMING!

PC>MAC-Gaming (no contest)

if you're doing graphic design or music production - fuck PC
yeah, but I'm saying to dual boot on that machine between win7 and osx86
Old 05.20.2010, 09:07 AM   #55
space
expwy. to yr skull

MY COMPUTER IS A GOOD ONE.

Old 05.20.2010, 10:54 AM   #56
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
a'ight, but I could have swore we were talking about the benefits and better of the the two's products??? whatever.....

no, I was dissing all computer companies as evil, and you chided in to defend one or the other
Quote:

At what point do you conclude I'm bought into a fascist regime?

at each and every 1000 word response praising Apple computers as the messianic leap forward

lets all go back to letter writing.

Old 05.20.2010, 11:27 AM   #57
space
expwy. to yr skull

fuck that, letters don't make children cry. WoW does.
Old 05.20.2010, 01:34 PM   #58
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
flotto, did you get a core i7 macheen? what about graphix? screen size? do you get a 15 minute battery life?

gaming on a mac sucks-- took 5 years to port rome total war to osx, and it's glitchy as fuck. bootcamp is ok but having to reboot instead of alt-tabbing to work on osx sucks too.

i like macs, have 3 of them, but haven't drank the kool aid-- plenty of problems with them, eg: long update cycles without price drops, shit that breaks (my white macbook has a gash on the palmrest-- waiting for last day of warranty to replace-- the macmini is sweet and easy but weak compared to other $1K machines-- lack of express card slots on all but 17" laptops-- and no bluray, for fucks sakes)-- and i still need to keep a pc around to do stuff one just can't do on macs, like dumping p2 cards on a hard drive-- or (again) play bluray discs-- well you can, with bootcamp, and some hardware tweaking, but beats the point of 1 device to do most tasks.

anyway have fun with your toys
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2010, 01:54 PM   #59
space
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
flotto, did you get a core i7 macheen? what about graphix? screen size? do you get a 15 minute battery life?

yep!, "better than my imac" (max settings - fast fps), 16.4" & I keep it plugged in, but says 3 hours.

I'm extremely happy with it.

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor
Features 6MB L3 cache and 1.6GHz processor speed with with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz.Intel® Core™ i7 processor
Features 8-way processing for ultimate smart performance. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't.6GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.Blu-ray Disc-enabled DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
Features read support for Blu-ray Disc. Double-layer support using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media. Also supports DVD-RAM.16.4" high-definition widescreen display
With 1920 x 1080 resolution showcases movies, games and other images in rich detail.500GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics
Features 1GB dedicated video memory and up to 3831MB total available video memory. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV or HD monitor. Intel® High Definition Audio support with Dolby Home Theater.Action buttons
Include play, pause, stop and assist for easy one-touch media control.Built-in MOTION EYE webcam
With microphone and face tracking technology makes it easy to video chat with family and friends.Multiformat media reader
Supports Memory Stick PRO and Memory Stick PRO Duo with MagicGate functionality. Also features a Secure Digital media slot.i.LINK (IEEE 1394) port and 2 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For digital data transfer and mobile digital imaging capabilities.Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
To wirelessly connect to the Internet.Built-in stereo A2DP Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) interface
Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as mobile phones or MP3 players.Built-in 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T Gigabit Fast Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for a quick and easy wired Web connection.Weighs 6.9 lbs. and measures just 1.6" thin
For portable power. Backlit keyboard for easy typing in dark settings.Good battery life
Of up to 3 hours.
Old 05.21.2010, 08:08 PM   #60
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
fuck that, letters don't make children cry. WoW does.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/73931585.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921 5ABF3343C02EA548B98DDFFBEEEF749636C544DBBE49C4F7F5 4E8C4E339DDFD4
yes they do :*(

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth