Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page A Novel You've Always Intended to Read.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.25.2008, 01:13 AM   #61
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
If you're gonna read Shakespeare, go for Hamlet. It's a predictable choice, but it's worth the hype. And it's probably the most referenced, so it helps to know it a little. Otherwise, Shakespeare is just a brain exercise for people with lots of time. He's great to read sometimes, but too much work to worry about.

1984 is good (and Bowie's Diamond Dogs is almost completely based on it). Animal Farm, though...I saw the movie, and satire or not it was boring as hell. No thank you.

I've always wanted to read Tristram Shandy just because of the name. I have no clue what it's about, but the title rolls of the tongue. It's like a word that gets stuck in your head.

I really want to read: Crime and Punishment, Moby Dick, and Lolita. I bought a nice hard-cover edition of Moby Dick, but I can't read it until I slay Joyce. I've already read like 6 books in the midst, so I need to start focusing.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2008, 01:14 AM   #62
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan
I've tried more times than I can count to read Heart of Darkness and have never been able to finish it. I feel like it's one of those books that really pays off at the the end...
That's exactly what I do with Treasure Island. I love it, too, but I just trail off and stop every time.
Old 06.25.2008, 01:14 AM   #63
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Da Vinci Code.

60 million people can't be wrong.

Sure they can, read "The Traveler" instead if you ever get to reading a novel of that nature.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2008, 01:17 AM   #64
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
One shouldn't hold anything against any writer. They have it tough as it is.

Though I'm not particularly fond of Stephen King.
I used to get upset when "literary types" bashed him. Then I read half of "It". Holy fuck. I'm sure he's hard working and all, but have at him.

I have a lot to say on this thread. I think I'll let some others reply so I don't end up having 20 posts in a row...
Old 06.25.2008, 06:57 AM   #65
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
I really want to read: Crime and Punishment, Moby Dick, and Lolita. I bought a nice hard-cover edition of Moby Dick, but I can't read it until I slay Joyce. I've already read like 6 books in the midst, so I need to start focusing.

I read Crime and Punishment in my mid teens and it completely blew me away, although i do think it's quite a young person's novel - in much the same way that I think Kafka is a young person's writer. It's all about intense situations and philosophical dilemmas which seem very important and profound when young, but which seem slightly less so as you get older. Which isn't to say that it still isn't a great book, just not quite the life changing event when I re-read it a few years ago to the one I had at about sixteen.

Moby Dick is one that I've had on my shelf for ages and still not properly read. I've gotten so far with it a number of times, but always get sidetracked and end up not finishing it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2008, 07:02 AM   #66
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Lolita is excellent. So is Speak, Memory. Nabokov is exquisite.
Old 06.25.2008, 07:03 AM   #67
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
I used to get upset when "literary types" bashed him. Then I read half of "It". Holy fuck. I'm sure he's hard working and all, but have at him.

I have a lot to say on this thread. I think I'll let some others reply so I don't end up having 20 posts in a row...

King's a hack. And dull.
Old 06.25.2008, 07:09 AM   #68
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Nabokov is exquisite.

I think that, alongside Conrad, he's, at least in terms of his style, one of the greatest writers of the last century. Interestingly, I think both he and Conrad were writing in what was their second language. Makes them all the more incredible.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2008, 07:17 AM   #69
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Keep meaning to read William Burroughs Junkie and Queer series.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2008, 07:32 AM   #70
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I think that, alongside Conrad, he's, at least in terms of his style, one of the greatest writers of the last century. Interestingly, I think both he and Conrad were writing in what was their second language. Makes them all the more incredible.

Yes, I agree. I think John Updike in a review says that Nabokov writes the way all writers of English prose should write--ecstatically. It is pretty amazing what he does with the English language, regardless of his country of origin--but even more amazing considering he grew up as a native Russian speaker. The man was simply brilliant.

John Updike is another favorite novelist of mine, even though his stuff can become a little Wasp-ish. The Centaur is a great book, though.
Old 06.25.2008, 07:39 AM   #71
biffbot
little trouble girl

biffbot kicks all y'all's assesbiffbot kicks all y'all's assesbiffbot kicks all y'all's assesbiffbot kicks all y'all's assesbiffbot kicks all y'all's assesbiffbot kicks all y'all's assesbiffbot kicks all y'all's assesbiffbot kicks all y'all's assesbiffbot kicks all y'all's assesbiffbot kicks all y'all's assesbiffbot kicks all y'all's asses
How to Mutate and Take Over the World, by R.U. Sirius
,./..___..._/...../../...../..___/..'/..___/..+...../../.../.._..__/../..___/..../...../
./../__/...|..__/../__../../.....,./../...,........../../.../../..\.\.../../____../../\..\
/.______/./______/./._/.*.+./._/...*,.`...../._/.../_/.....\_\/______//_/...\_.\
biffbot is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2008, 09:25 AM   #72
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
someone tell me if i should bother reading these

you should read both.
it will help us in the fight to come against china and russia.
Old 06.25.2008, 10:15 AM   #73
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
There are lots of books that I have abandoned halfway through and would like to try and read again, to see if they are as overrated as I thought or if I was just in a strange mood when I tried to read them and they are actually good.

To The Lighthouse is one. Too many long sentences (every statement has multiple sub-clauses) and I got stuck with ambiguous pronouns, i.e., she will mention a 'he' at the end of a sentance in which she has introduced a dozen or so male characters, so which one is now being referred to as 'he'? Maybe it has an internal logic which you learn after a while.

Lolita too. I found it boring; no matter how well-written it was, it didn't seem to have any momentum or substance (unlike my favourite books by Flaubert, Proust, which are also well-written and do have those things). Maybe it gets better.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2008, 10:57 AM   #74
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I read Crime and Punishment in my mid teens and it completely blew me away, although i do think it's quite a young person's novel - in much the same way that I think Kafka is a young person's writer. It's all about intense situations and philosophical dilemmas which seem very important and profound when young, but which seem slightly less so as you get older. Which isn't to say that it still isn't a great book, just not quite the life changing event when I re-read it a few years ago to the one I had at about sixteen.

Moby Dick is one that I've had on my shelf for ages and still not properly read. I've gotten so far with it a number of times, but always get sidetracked and end up not finishing it.

The young person's novel is one of my least-favourite of book categories - interesting you'd put Kafka in there though. I was reading an essay about him just today. And, contrarily enough, I haven't read him since 'the great wanky book summer of '99'. But then you say it seems less profound and important - that's true of most things, surely?

Anyway, I digress. I can't think of any novels I've always intended to read because I'm still this side of 30 and I'm thinking, health-and-eyesight willing, I've got a good 40 years of reading ahead of me. I know that's a very dull thing to say, but I've read a sizeable proportion of 'classics' already to the point where I might do something ridiculous like start reading everything Hardy wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2008, 10:58 AM   #75
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Animal Farm and 1984 I wouldn't recommend for Cantankernine - I suspect she's past the (mental) age of finding them blinding. Not to be dismissive or condescending, I just don't think it'll click.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 06.25.2008, 11:07 AM   #76
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Animal Farm and 1984 I wouldn't recommend for Cantankernine - I suspect she's past the (mental) age of finding them blinding. Not to be dismissive or condescending, I just don't think it'll click.

well it's a fucking obvious book but it's kinda like watching chicken run-- mildly amusing, occasionally funny-- but only better, because it provides you with some good good laughs.

the reason it wouldn't blow her mind though it's cos she's already a cynic.

Quote:
I think Kafka is a young person's writer.

"wow, man, he turned into a bug!" may be a young person's book

but the trial? the castle? america? no fucking way. he's not hermann hesse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Yeah, the paragraph translation I have bores me to no end. I loved the Inferno translation that kept verse form.

it's not the paragraph or no paragraph. it's paradise that's shit, no matter how you cut it. a bunch of old theologies illustrated for didactic purposes-- no fun.

Inferno is cool because that's where the hyena takes revenge against all his enemies.

By the way, most verse translations are shit because they force the language and betray the meaning. My first read of this book was in a prose translation and it was AWESOME. All the imagery and symbolism are preserved, rather than the less important terza rima. Now some people could say no, the terza rima is inseparable. Sure, if you love poetics, but don't most people read this shit to see flying dragons and hear the condemned screaming in hell?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2008, 11:26 AM   #77
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!, on Orwell
the reason it wouldn't blow her mind though it's cos she's already a cynic.

Agreed - the problem being that, with its proliferation on the left, the ideas can inspire the naive-leftist, but it'll go from an 'ok' book to something risible in the already-jaded* mind, methinks.

*This isn't necessarily a criticism - depends on context and intention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!, on Kafka
but the trial? the castle? america? no fucking way. he's not hermann hesse.
Yarrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!, on Dante
By the way, most verse translations are shit because they force the language and betray the meaning. My first read of this book was in a prose translation and it was AWESOME. All the imagery and symbolism are preserved, rather than the less important terza rima. Now some people could say no, the terza rima is inseparable. Sure, if you love poetics, but don't most people read this shit to see flying dragons and hear the condemned screaming in hell?

Yarrr. I read the Satyricon of Petronius recently - first the 1600s translation. There was a few passages that I found a bit iffy, so I referred to an online, more contemporary translation. The 'zeitgeist' of writerly-translations dictated that quite a few passages in the second translation (which I returned to to skim in full) changed the interpretation of sentences. Some whole paragraphs turned from '[protagonist] didn't like that' to '[protagonist] thought that was great'. I find the whole process quite maddening, especially as I'm a mono-lingual.

Quote:
Old 06.25.2008, 11:53 AM   #78
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

Yarrr. I read the Satyricon of Petronius recently - first the 1600s translation. There was a few passages that I found a bit iffy, so I referred to an online, more contemporary translation. The 'zeitgeist' of writerly-translations dictated that quite a few passages in the second translation (which I returned to to skim in full) changed the interpretation of sentences. Some whole paragraphs turned from '[protagonist] didn't like that' to '[protagonist] thought that was great'. I find the whole process quite maddening, especially as I'm a mono-lingual.

Sounds like the texts I had to read for Roman History. It basically boiled down to flipping through pages and pages of footnotes and explanations of the humor, puns, and double-meanings that won't translate from Latin to English. Most of them were about passive homosexuality.
Old 06.25.2008, 11:53 AM   #79
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I always have a little list of novels I'd like to read, but I am always sidetracked by non-fiction books
Old 06.25.2008, 11:56 AM   #80
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
middlemarch.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth