Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Patti Smith on NPR later today
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.09.2007, 11:01 AM   #1
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
she'll be interviewed on "fresh air"

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundown...n.php?prgId=13

wait for the page to be updated at around 3pm EST
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2007, 01:16 PM   #2
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, I wish I were the interviewer. Of course, I'd probably spend the first half hour getting my tongue untied.
Old 03.13.2007, 11:36 AM   #3
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
oh the tetheads who have not appreciated this, it's a good interview, you all should liSSen

and may i add i found this on the washington post this morning, re: the r&r hall o'crack:

[...]

The night's biggest ovation may have been for the woman who swore she'd never make it in: Patti Smith. The bohemian poet straddled the hippie and punk eras, with her album "Horses" setting a standard for literate rock. At the induction ceremony, she performed her biggest hit, "Because the Night," co-written with Bruce Springsteen, and the Rolling Stones' classic, "Gimme Shelter."

Passed over in previous years, an emotional Smith remembered friends and family who didn't live to see the day _ and jokingly recalled an argument with her husband, MC5's Fred "Sonic" Smith, shortly before he died.

He told her she would get into the hall and that she would feel guilty because he would not make it _ even though he was more deserving. He asked her when she did make the hall to "please accept it like a lady and not to say any curse words." (She obliged).

She also remembered her mother asking her on her deathbed if she had made it into the hall yet. When Smith told her she hadn't, her mother said: "When you do, sing your mother's favorite song, the one I like to vacuum to."

So Smith did, dedicating to her mother one of her most fiery songs, 1977's "Rock 'n' Roll N-----."
If the absence of her late loved ones made Smith's induction bittersweet, the absence of most of Van Halen's founding members was downright sour.

[...]

full article here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031300139.html
Old 03.13.2007, 12:17 PM   #4
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
"...the absence of most of Van Halen's founding members was downright sour." ?? What the fuck does that mean? Is this purposefully ironic, juxtaposing Van Halen with Smith?

Oh, God, I love Patti. She deserves everything.
Old 03.13.2007, 12:21 PM   #5
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
"...the absence of most of Van Halen's founding members was downright sour." ?? What the fuck does that mean? Is this purposefully ironic, juxtaposing Van Halen with Smith?

Oh, God, I love Patti. She deserves everything.

ha, it was an article about the whole thing last night, it started w/ grandmaster flash, after patti it discusses vh then rem. i just didnt know exactly where to cut, see...

i posted the link to the whole article.

what cracked me up: "the song i like to vacuum to"
Old 03.13.2007, 12:24 PM   #6
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
"ghandi was a nigger! Jesus, and my mother too! We're all niggers!!!!"---patti
Old 03.13.2007, 12:26 PM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

by this she meant "outside of society"
Old 03.13.2007, 12:56 PM   #8
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
bu this she meant "outside of society"

where "they're waiting for me"
Old 03.13.2007, 02:37 PM   #9
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
where "they're waiting for me"

& "that's where i wanna be"

my favorite part of that song though is this absolutely static moment when she belts out:

I was lost in a valley of pleasure.
I was lost in the infinite sea.
I was lost, and measure for measure,
love spewed from the heart of me.
I was lost, and the cost,
and the cost didn't matter to me.
I was lost, and the cost
was to be outside society.

the fucking hairs on the back of my neck take a life of their own
Old 03.13.2007, 03:36 PM   #10
gmku
invito al cielo

yeah. Damn, I wanna go home and pull out that record right now!
Old 03.13.2007, 10:43 PM   #11
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
You know what I don't fucking understand? How Iggy hasn't been inducted yet. The Stooges were nominated this year (not for the first time, either) and got passed over in favour of Van Halen.

(Hopefully that'll teach em. But I wouldn't count on it.)

Also, Lou Reed? Been inducted TWICE! As a solo artist and as a member of the VU. But Iggy? Not once. Not as a solo artist or a Stooge. Bowie's in there, Blondie, the Ramones,The Clash, Talking Heads... all in. No Iggy.

Love Patti and love REM but, seriously, fuck the Hall of Fame.
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 10:47 PM   #12
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
When is Sonic Youth going to be in there?
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 10:51 PM   #13
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
When is Sonic Youth going to be in there?

Next year? Maybe the year after?

Quote:
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artist’s contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation’s nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of about 1,000 rock experts. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes, and more than 50 percent of the vote, are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 08:57 AM   #14
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy
You know what I don't fucking understand? How Iggy hasn't been inducted yet. The Stooges were nominated this year (not for the first time, either) and got passed over in favour of Van Halen.

Also, Lou Reed? Been inducted TWICE! As a solo artist and as a member of the VU. But Iggy? Not once. Not as a solo artist or a Stooge. Bowie's in there, Blondie, the Ramones,The Clash, Talking Heads... all in. No Iggy.

Yeah, ditto on the fuck you. I never knew if it was just me or if other people thought this, but the idea of rock and roll having a Hall of Fame is somehow counter to the idea of, well, rock and roll. Rock and roll needs an establishment institution? It's rather repugnant.

At the same time, Patti... wow. It should just be The Hall of Patti. I'd get behind that.
Old 03.14.2007, 09:26 AM   #15
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
If the votes depend on people that actually likes Van Halen, I don´t see that thing happening anytime soon.

I like van halen until diamond dave left and I am the greatest sonic youth fan in the world.
Old 03.14.2007, 09:28 AM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy

the stooges are like black sabbath, bastard children in the rock n roll world.

it took FOREVER for them to recognize black sabbath, a band WAY more influential than the stooges (not better, but more influential. both rule IMO)
these things take time.
Old 03.14.2007, 09:29 AM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

wait until you get old and you will understand.

BTW, Van Halen fucking RULED.

did I mention that?

KISS too.
Old 03.15.2007, 01:08 AM   #18
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
oh the tetheads who have not appreciated this, it's a good interview, you all should liSSen

and may i add i found this on the washington post this morning, re: the r&r hall o'crack:

[...]

The night's biggest ovation may have been for the woman who swore she'd never make it in: Patti Smith. The bohemian poet straddled the hippie and punk eras, with her album "Horses" setting a standard for literate rock. At the induction ceremony, she performed her biggest hit, "Because the Night," co-written with Bruce Springsteen, and the Rolling Stones' classic, "Gimme Shelter."

Passed over in previous years, an emotional Smith remembered friends and family who didn't live to see the day _ and jokingly recalled an argument with her husband, MC5's Fred "Sonic" Smith, shortly before he died.

He told her she would get into the hall and that she would feel guilty because he would not make it _ even though he was more deserving. He asked her when she did make the hall to "please accept it like a lady and not to say any curse words." (She obliged).

She also remembered her mother asking her on her deathbed if she had made it into the hall yet. When Smith told her she hadn't, her mother said: "When you do, sing your mother's favorite song, the one I like to vacuum to."

So Smith did, dedicating to her mother one of her most fiery songs, 1977's "Rock 'n' Roll N-----."
If the absence of her late loved ones made Smith's induction bittersweet, the absence of most of Van Halen's founding members was downright sour.

[...]

full article here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031300139.html
ahem, 1978's rock n roll nigger.
Old 03.15.2007, 01:14 AM   #19
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh factchecker, excellent point, came out on "easter', though, you 100% sure?

im googling & i see record came out early 78, could have been performed earlier???

searches...
Old 03.15.2007, 01:18 AM   #20
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
oh factchecker, excellent point, came out on "easter', though, you 100% sure?

im googling & i see record came out early 78, could have been performed earlier???

searches...
it was performed as early as 1976. possibly 1975. i have it on a bootleg (on translucent pink vinyl ) from 1976 where it's played as a sort of medley like at the end of Land or something.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth