Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page What do you hope to get out the Daydream Nation shows?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.21.2007, 01:12 PM   #41
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Im going to 'Atrium - Cardiff School of Creative and Cultural Industries' its a new art school thing Glamorgan University are opening in Cardiff. Its opening in September, I'm gonna be in the first year to ever go there. Its gonna be so cool. I'm doing a Music degree
Old 03.21.2007, 01:21 PM   #42
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottheron
Surely all they're doing is taking part in a groundbreaking event run by ATP, who they've always supported?
What about all the other bands who've taken part in the Don't Look Back series - Dinosaur Jr, Low, Tortoise, Gang Of Four, Mudhoney, Stooges - are they all sell-outs too? Or are they just taking part in a unique series of shows?
And as the London shows sold out so quickly, people obviously want to see DN live, so playing it elsewhere makes sense more than playing a standard tour... doesn't it?
I think that if you would read some of the posts on here a bit more attentively, you'd find that the silly and obnoxiously indie term 'sell out' hasn't been used by anyone.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 01:24 PM   #43
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
sarramkrop
you SELLOUT! using the blessed sweet-pussied virgin to gussy up yr avatar image! You don't even want any of that furpie action!

You know how hard Joseph slammed that tight god-virgin 'gina of Mary's after Jeebus was born? man. he had to pay taxes to Nero for that shit!
Old 03.21.2007, 01:25 PM   #44
scottheron
empty page

scottheron has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I think that if you would read some of the posts on here a bit more attentively, you'd find that the silly and obnoxiously indie term 'sell out' hasn't been used by anyone.
my apologies then, was just a turn of phrase... i was referring to the people who are arguing the band are playing the shows either for money or cos they've strayed into some artistic cul-de-sac...
scottheron is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 01:28 PM   #45
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
are you the same scottheron that was on the "old board"?
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 01:30 PM   #46
scottheron
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
are you the same scottheron that was on the "old board"?
umm... i don't think so - as you can see, i'm a pretty infrequent poster, more of an anonymous browser generally...
was he a nice guy?
Old 03.21.2007, 01:32 PM   #47
sarramkrop

No worries, it's all opinions. Personally it feels like a cul-de-sac for me, but the good thing about it is that the younger people who got to know the band later in their carrer get to hear them playing what still remains a great record. I'd rather if they just put out a great Sonic Youth record and toured that, but that's opinions and we all have them. As for making money out of it, why should they be denied making money out of their talent? I'll never understand this risible idea of artistic purity that comes from not making money out of your talent when everything costs money in this society. If the music is good, i'll shell out, if it's not, i won't.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 01:32 PM   #48
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

'Sell Out' isn't really an indie term - Metalheads use it even more

Anyway I have always been convinced that people who use that term should be burned at the stake...its the least most helpfull/insightful/productive term ever uttered in relation to music. It inhibits any degree of intellegent discourse.
Old 03.21.2007, 01:38 PM   #49
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
umm... i don't think so - as you can see, i'm a pretty infrequent poster, more of an anonymous browser generally...
was he a nice guy?
Actually, I'm not even sure there was a scottheron on the old board , I vaguely remember a similar username, but maybe I'm just making this all up in my mind...
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 01:40 PM   #50
scottheron
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
Anyway I have always been convinced that people who use that term should be burned at the stake...
Hm, wish I'd looked over my post before submitting now...
My point was just that I think the Don't Look Back series of gigs are a nice idea, and give fans like us a unique experience. For all we know, the band may be doing it for money or lack of better ideas, but I think playing DN is a pretty interesting artistic decision in itself...
And I can't wait...

Quote:
What is wrong with them using their talent to also make money?
And I totally agree
Old 03.21.2007, 01:42 PM   #51
scottheron
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
Actually, I'm not even sure there was a scottheron on the old board
Thinking about it, I don't think it was me, as I haven't been using this username for too long...
I needed a name, was listening to Gil Scott-Heron at the time... problem solved
Old 03.21.2007, 01:46 PM   #52
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Hm, wish I'd looked over my post before submitting now...
My point was just that I think the Don't Look Back series of gigs are a nice idea, and give fans like us a unique experience. For all we know, the band may be doing it for money or lack of better ideas, but I think playing DN is a pretty interesting artistic decision in itself...
And I can't wait...

Haha don't worry it wasn't directed at you. You used the term in relation to how idiots speak in order to highlight an intelligent point. I always use ' ' though....it pisses people off because it always looks so condesending, 'Sellout' hehe....I don't mean it to look that way, it just usefull for deflecting any responsability.
Old 03.21.2007, 01:48 PM   #53
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
'Sell Out' isn't really an indie term - Metalheads use it even more

The term was also used in the sixties and before then.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 01:53 PM   #54
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
the only real sell out of the past 5 years is LIZ PHAIR anyways.

Old 03.21.2007, 01:55 PM   #55
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
The term was also used in the sixties and before.

Haha heres a new thread idea: 'The History of the Word SELLOUT'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selling_out
Old 03.21.2007, 02:11 PM   #56
sarramkrop

That was an interesting read, ta.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 02:19 PM   #57
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Haha I know I can't believe I took time out of my life to read it...
I'm such a Geek!

Is there anything Wikipedia doesn't have something on...

'Tossing the Salad' - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal-oral_contact
'Cunt' - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunt
'Taking a Dump' - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_a_dump

....Unbelievable haha
Old 03.21.2007, 02:25 PM   #58
tramp-arse
little trouble girl

tramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's asses
In reply to the main post:

Jesus fuck. Why invest so much time into thinking abooouuuttt soooo littttllllleeee? Go and see Sonic Youth and stop worrying about absolutely nothing my friend!

As the Super Furry Animals may say....'at least its not the end of the world....'

GET A GRIP.
tramp-arse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 02:31 PM   #59
raging_nelly
stalker

raging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
If SY want to ROCK, why don't they make a new ROCK album?

Sonic Youth will always be better than you

www.myspace.com/myboyslashmygirl

www.dischordmusic.blogspot.com

raging_nelly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 06:45 PM   #60
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
while i don't care one iota about the apparent "ethical" issues regarding whether they should play these songs, i decided not to buy a ticket because it would break my heart to see songs like cross the breeze, the sprawl, rain king, etc butchered, and i reckon they probably will be butchered.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth