Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.09.2016, 08:04 AM   #1041
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
So, you're mad that he released it on a different service than the one you already use. If it was a Spotify exclusive, I don't think you'd have any problem with this.

Free trial? I have already turned off my tidal renewal and I still have days left of free listening.

Anyway, best to just give up on Kanye, right? He did something you don't like and now you're both just acting like you're done. I appreciate that the situation is less than ideal, but fuck man... There's new music out there from an artist you used to love... What does not listening to it accomplish exactly?

Sorry, I just don't get it. It's new Kanye. Count your blessings that it even exists. I can't fathom waiting a single day to hear a new Kanye project.

Again, I just don't get it.

I'm not mad that it's on the service I don't have. I'm mad that a major artists thinks it's a good idea to pick WHICH store I HAVE TO buy his album at. When T Swift didn't put her albums on Spotify I wasn't "mad." She chose to leave it off one store. But I still could walk into Target or Best Buy or FYE or get it on Amazon or buy it from iTunes or... I had a choice. In this case I'm being told I need to subscribe to ONE certain service to hear the album. And I don't like the precedent. Yes, it's a free trial. But what happens when he releases the next one on Tidal only? Then what would your advice be to those that already did the free trial.

I know it seems silly in a way. But it's the principal. I don't want to be forced to sign up for a service (even if free trial) because Kanye says that's the only way he'll sell it to me. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Am I done with Kanye? Of course not! I love all his albums (that I've heard) and the moment he wants to give me a legal way to hear this one without forcing me into a subscription to a service I don't want, I'll hear it. If he doesn't want to make CD's, fine. But he can put it on Spotify, iTunes, Amazon streaming, etc and still not have CD's. It feels like a conflict of interest thing here though. Tidal is not doing great (at least in my anecdotal observations) and he's trying to push us into subscriptions by not leaving us a (legal) option. It's America, and he can do that. But I can "vote with my dollars" (again, I know the trial is free).
Old 03.09.2016, 08:07 AM   #1042
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
again, don't feel anything personal here. It's not about Kanye (for me). It's about Tidal and this gross feeling I have that I'm being bullied into a subscription I don't want. In my opinion this Tidal exclusive thing won't last anyway, so the bad taste will be washed from my mouth eventually.

Not "used to love." Still love his music. This fiasco is separate from that.

I am excited about Ferg. I love A$AP Mob. On the flip, I feel like every post I've made about them in the past month has fallen on deaf ears. I've posted a bunch of "Wavy Wednesday" singles and I don't think any of you even clicked the links. It is what it is. We all get in moods to hear what we want to hear. No disrespect.
Old 03.09.2016, 09:41 AM   #1043
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
fuck Tidal. I gots torrents. worldwide.
Old 03.09.2016, 09:45 AM   #1044
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
perhaps people just dont want to come to a sonic youth forum to talk about the most mainstream middle-of-the-road corporate-rapper around? (Kanyeeeee???)
Old 03.09.2016, 09:50 AM   #1045
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I've been in a real 90's mood for weeks anyway. I haven't heard a lot of new albums yet that I'm interested in. I mean I haven't heard the new Kendrick yet even.
Old 03.09.2016, 10:13 AM   #1046
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
again, don't feel anything personal here. It's not about Kanye (for me). It's about Tidal and this gross feeling I have that I'm being bullied into a subscription I don't want. In my opinion this Tidal exclusive thing won't last anyway, so the bad taste will be washed from my mouth eventually.

Not "used to love." Still love his music. This fiasco is separate from that.

I am excited about Ferg. I love A$AP Mob. On the flip, I feel like every post I've made about them in the past month has fallen on deaf ears. I've posted a bunch of "Wavy Wednesday" singles and I don't think any of you even clicked the links. It is what it is. We all get in moods to hear what we want to hear. No disrespect.

Hey man, I clicked the links! I always try to check things out when y'all recommend or post things. I'm totally down with an A$AP Mob album. That would be epic, and surreal and fucking incredible! I'm not as into Ferg as I am Rocky, but Trap Lord was excellent. If anything drops from any of those cats, I'm going to buy it.

All the Wavy Wednesdays business aside, I still can't bring myself to believe that an actual Mon album is in the works. Especially now that a be Ferg album is coming. They're not going to split their attention like that. But I'm so ready for those guys to follow through on their promise from freakin years ago and finally drop a group album. So ready.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2016, 10:14 AM   #1047
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Had anyone listened to Bas's Too High to Die yet? Anyone at all?
Old 03.09.2016, 10:26 AM   #1048
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
perhaps people just dont want to come to a sonic youth forum to talk about the most mainstream middle-of-the-road corporate-rapper around? (Kanyeeeee???)

No offense, but folks who listen to Spnic Youth probably care more about music than anything else. There's enough Beatles talk here. People dig MJ and Prince, the Stones, etc. I think people are more about music being interesting and challenging than they do about silly rules about what punk fans should and shouldn't listen to.

Also, Kanye's been one of the most talked about artists here (even if I remove myself and my own comments from the equation) for years. I really don't think NR or louder is taking a stance against corporate music. I think they're just irked at Kanye.

I like what I like. I love plenty of "non-corporate" music (a vast majority of what's in my iPod and phone is probably "non-corporate" or "punk acceptable") but if I happen to like the music of an artist who sells shoes (Kanye, Kendrick) or has worked in fashion (uh... Kim Gordon?) then I'm not going to pretend I don't because the dictates of punk thos say I sholdn't.

Fuck putting music and or music fans in a box of any kind. People are astonished when I tell them I listen to Kanye, or Jay-Z, because I used to fancy myself quite a little punk snob. But I love confusing people who think that my Boredoms and SY love make me somehow predictable.
Old 03.09.2016, 10:28 AM   #1049
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I've been in a real 90's mood for weeks anyway. I haven't heard a lot of new albums yet that I'm interested in. I mean I haven't heard the new Kendrick yet even.

Dude you have to listen to the new Big Ups album. If you're in a '90s place, that record will be total ear candy. Not hip hop of course. Pretty bone crushing noise rock. But man, it takes me back. Sounds very alive.
Old 03.09.2016, 10:54 AM   #1050
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I never even heard of Big Ups. Hmm.

Yeah the Ferg announcment pretty much means "no Mob album this year' in my mind. Which sucks. I'd be happy w/ just a compilation group album of all the singles they've dropped y'know?

But the Ferg album excites me. Trap Lord is such a grower. I love it now. And Ferg Forever was solid. "I gotta hundred dollar bill for every bump in your face!"
Old 03.09.2016, 10:59 AM   #1051
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Dude you have to listen to the new Big Ups album. If you're in a '90s place, that record will be total ear candy. Not hip hop of course. Pretty bone crushing noise rock. But man, it takes me back. Sounds very alive.

if you want to hear 90's sounds go listen to Chris Brown's track "Sex You Back to Sleep" or Bieber's track "Sorry". The 90's pop sounds are back, sad to say.....
Old 03.09.2016, 12:30 PM   #1052
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
if you want to hear 90's sounds go listen to Chris Brown's track "Sex You Back to Sleep" or Bieber's track "Sorry". The 90's pop sounds are back, sad to say.....

No no no, I only like '90s stuff that's not from the '90s if it's throwback boom bap or throwback math rock/post punk.

Those are the rules.
Old 03.09.2016, 07:15 PM   #1053
Severian
invito al cielo

Sorry to get all huffy about the Kanye thing. I just can't help but feel like I'm no longer in the hip hop café, but instead am in some alternate 1984 version of the café, in which something happened to make everyone love the new Kanye album except for the only two people whose opinions I give a shit about.

I thought I would feel vindicated by the constant outpouring of overwhelmingly positive reviews for this album. But nope. I just feel frustrated. I still love the shit out of the album (I really do, it's just amazing, more so with every listen) but even I am scratching my head at the reviews because it's like nobody is paying attention to the fact that FACTS is a big old turd.

But I guess I'd have to still say it's a 5/5 album. At least an 8.5/10 (whatever the fuck that means). Every song is a part of me now. I haven't listened to a new album this much since... umm... Yeezus. And I'm listening to this way more than I listened to Yeezus.

I don't mean to be unfair, but I really do miss talking Ye with you boys. Goddammit. I can't promise I won't have another temper tantrum about this at a later date.
Old 03.09.2016, 07:25 PM   #1054
Severian
invito al cielo

Here's a kinda funny article about how TLOP had been illegally downloaded over 500,000 times (at the time this was written.... God knows how many now), and how it's entirely Kanye's fault.

http://www.fastcocreate.com/3056803/...s-kanyes-fault

I do wish we'd get some clarification about what the point of all this is. If I didn't believe he was never going to release the album, I wouldn't have downloaded it. And I'm keeping my Tidal subscription because I feel guilty about downloading it. But he needs to speak up and get specific about what exactly is on his Fucking mind. What's Turbo Grafx 16 going to be? Is it going to be a new album, or just TLOP revised yet again? Is it even his honest intention to release another album so soon? Why, with the massive download and subscription figures, is he continuing this charade? To push sales up? Is this a long con? WHAT THE FUCK?!

I've even tried to get in touch with his public relations departments. Not as a fanboy but as a journalist. I would hop on a plane to any location in the world at my own expense to interview him for 1 hour and try to get an idea of what the fuck is going on in that ludicrous melon of his.

Ask louder. I've been pushing a Kanye piece with my editors for weeks, and I even tried to recruit louder himself for a point counterpoint piece. I'm seriously ready to go Deepthroat on this shit. I'd quit my job and follow Kanye around for a year if I could get one single, thorough, comprehensive explanation for this nonsense. And I wouldn't let him run down the clock talking about his fashion line either. I'd rip into him like a shark.

Kanye if you're listening, I want to Frost/Nixon your ass.
Old 03.09.2016, 07:34 PM   #1055
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Post of the year haha
Old 03.09.2016, 11:56 PM   #1056
Severian
invito al cielo

Yeah Kendrick's awesome. We knew that before the Grammys though. I don't know that he necessarily "floats above all," but he is one of the few active rappers whose music actually excites me these days.

And Pusha... and Rocky... and Kanye goes without saying. TLOP doesn't feel empty to me. It feels extraordinary. Joey Bada$$ is dope too. And Chance. God I love Chancd.

But yeah, obviously Future and Thug are more or less empty shells. Sometimes Future's alright, but it's nothing I'll be bumpin five years from now.
Old 03.10.2016, 12:09 AM   #1057
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Whatever dudes.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2016, 08:57 AM   #1058
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Baha! Excellent timing.
Old 03.10.2016, 09:19 AM   #1059
Severian
invito al cielo

Hey y'all.. Kendrick's releasing physical copies of untitled unmastered. at the end of the month. Autographed copies available on a limited first come, first serve basis. The autographed vinyl has apparently already sold out, but the CD's might still be available.

Yee-haw!
Old 03.10.2016, 09:19 AM   #1060
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Kendrick gets it.
43505152 53 54555663103153 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth