Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Photos from the Wiltern show
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.10.2010, 08:53 PM   #1
floatfree
empty page

floatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's asses
Hey, I'm new here. Seems like people are posting tour pics here instead of the other board, so here goes. Since the Wiltern doesn't allow 35mms, I had to use my phone camera.

The show was fucking amazing. Someone said that Thurston seemed tired at the Pomona show...he sure didn't at the Wiltern. I was surprised they did another encore, but the place sounded like some kind of elephant army with everyone stomping and clapping in unison. I guess SY got the point.

floatfree is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2010, 08:53 PM   #2
floatfree
empty page

floatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's assesfloatfree kicks all y'all's asses

Old 01.11.2010, 12:15 AM   #3
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/musi...n-theatre.html
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2010, 11:51 AM   #4
floatfree
empty page

By the way, I noticed that Thurston had an old tape recorder propped up on top of a Fender amp (you can see it in the 2nd photo of mine above). What does he use this for? Did he circuit-bend it and runs the signal path through it?
Old 01.13.2010, 08:51 AM   #5
to.w
children of satan

to.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe

It say they played "mary-christ" ... did they?

myhand.thanx records
to.w is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2010, 11:10 AM   #6
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatfree
By the way, I noticed that Thurston had an old tape recorder propped up on top of a Fender amp (you can see it in the 2nd photo of mine above). What does he use this for? Did he circuit-bend it and runs the signal path through it?

check the gearography, it says:

"Fender Deluxe Reverb amp (for radio + contact mic thru Walco Signal Booster)
Thurston runs the radio into the 'Normal' channel of the Deluxe Reverb, and the contact mic thru a Walco Signal Booster into the 'Vibrato' channel. The footswitch is presumably a Vibrato/Reverb?"

but i bet he is also using the tape player on that radio...

i did not see any of the daydream nation shows but from the bootlegged recordings that i've heard especially on "Providence" its possible he's manipulating a tape recording of the mike watt phone message over another recording of the piano and noise bit??? not sure though it doesn't sound like a straight up version on the album

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2010, 11:24 AM   #7
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
pretty nice pictures for a phone camera. fucking technology is amazing these days.
Old 01.13.2010, 10:30 PM   #8
floatfree
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by to.w
It say they played "mary-christ" ... did they?

Nope, they didn't play anything off of Goo. Someone posted the real setlist in one of the other recent tour threads here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
"Fender Deluxe Reverb amp (for radio + contact mic thru Walco Signal Booster)
Thurston runs the radio into the 'Normal' channel of the Deluxe Reverb, and the contact mic thru a Walco Signal Booster into the 'Vibrato' channel. The footswitch is presumably a Vibrato/Reverb?"

but i bet he is also using the tape player on that radio...

Ahh ok. Yeah I didn't see a tape in the tape slot, which is why I asked. So he's using the mic on the player to mic the environmental sound on the stage and out through the Fender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chika
pretty nice pictures for a phone camera. fucking technology is amazing these days.

It's an iPhone 3GS. I kept wishing I had my trusty Olympus OM-10 with me, but the iPhone is not too shabby. Gets some interesting effects in low light. It's too bad there's no way to put a limiter on the record volume on the audio, because it captures some really nice video for a phone. Unfortunately any concert audio on it just comes out as noise.
Old 01.14.2010, 04:48 PM   #9
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatfree

i swear I heard bits of what I beleive is known as the "scream tape" during one of the noise jams at the wiltern show. I think I remember thurston fiddling with the tape machine around thAt time. I could be wrong, but that would be pretty awesome if it was the scream tape. Anyone know when they used it last? I didn't know they used contact mics, that's pretty awesome. The wiltern show was my wife's first sonic youth show, she really liked it, especially Kim's stuff and the older songs. I can't remermber exactly how many sonic shows I've seen, maybe 10 or 12? Wish I could remember them all better...

I saw the daydream gig at the Greek theatre in La, and listened to a fair amount of daydream-era shows online, and i'm pretty sure they just play the standard recording of Providence over the pa, or possibly through thurston's amp. I don't think there is any live manipulation of the different tape elements of the track. I was looking for what they would do for this at the gig, and if I remember correctly they just kind of took a break while it played. I guess we'll see for sure if/when they put out the live daydream DVD that was promised
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2010, 01:36 AM   #10
xxxjennyx
little trouble girl

xxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xxxxxje...7623445051901/

Enjoy my fellow kidzies <3

xxxjennyx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2010, 10:27 AM   #11
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses

It seems to be no circut bent. When I have seen him use it it is very funny.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth