Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Question for Recording Musicians
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.01.2009, 07:10 AM   #1
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
How important is production to you?

You see, I'm recording an album for my own solo project UUUUUU right now (link is in my sig) and I'm concerned that my production on this stuff will never be good enough due to a lack of things (no money for a bass, can't afford a noise gate or compressor etc.). So does production REALLY effect one's enjoyment of an album? I've always thought the production was to reflect the particular act but every artist I've listened to that does the sort of same sound as me has a much fuller, bright sound. Okay, I'm going on now...

So yeah, is production really important? Does it curb your enjoyment if the production doesn't neccessarily 'fit'?
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
And here is one of my freshly recorded tracks for reference: http://www.box.net/shared/r34uhup8q1
Old 02.01.2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Personally, it's very important. But production doesn't have to mean spending oodles on fancy mics. Just what's appropriate for the songs. Your sort of stuff needs quite a dense production, I'd say. It's really difficult to know what you personally want though. The second track on your myspace is, to my ears, murkily recorded and convoluted - is that stereo-panning or bad recording? Is that self-induced peaking or accidentals? - but that might be precisely the sound you're going for. By contrast, you've used similar production for the track you've uploaded, and that sounds fine to me - however, I could gaurantee a lot of my metaller mates would be put off by that production (consciously or unconsciously - I think production works that way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2009, 08:17 AM   #4
al shabbray

what glice said!
the question is what are you aming for?
your recordings seem far away, which can be wanted or not.
like the sound of erm...lets say grouper it sounds like it was recorded somewhere outside 100meters away from the mic, but it sounds good in my ears, like she decided to let it sound that way.
you dont seem to be satisfied with your sound, if so you wouldnt post this thread of course. maybe any link to something which sounds like you want it to be would help
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2009, 08:41 AM   #5
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Here is where I offer up my recordings- www.myspace.com/fauxhemiansband

As far as my own production goes, I never really have the time to think a lot about it because everything is recorded in a big hurry. I often record other people (I'm the only person with a 16 track in my circle of friends) and I put more care into it. I try to have as many mics as possible on the drums and amps.. I go for a sort of 60s pop vocal production, which is a fair bit of reverb coupled with a small amount of delay. I wish I had some better examples, but I don't.

Overall, it is important FOR ME when making music, but listening to lo-fi stuff doesn't bother me. Tom Waits, Daniel Johnston, Sparklehorse, et al.. some of my favourite recordings are horribly low fidelity.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2009, 08:45 AM   #6
al shabbray

it also depends on the genre you are listening too.
if you listen to singer songwriter tunes the "production" is more like the captured atmosphere then the tight kickdrum in some hip hop cuts.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, exactly.

Blues and rock and roll mostly benefit from lo-fi, dirty, crummy production because it reflects the aesthetics of the genre. Pop music is clean and tuneful, so it needs a clean and sleek production. Hip Hop is bombastinc and exuberant, and so in turn requires an ear-catching range of big bass and snappy snare, ETC. I am just generalising here, but you know what I mean..
Old 02.01.2009, 10:46 AM   #8
sarramkrop

I don't know much about production, I just listen to grime or hip hop and take inspiration from what I hear trying not to mimic. Mixes are a particular source of inspiration.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2009, 11:25 AM   #9
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I know of quite a few LPs that have been ruined or made awesome via production. For my own stuff, I use what is available to me and affordable at the time, but always try to improve things as I go along. I know that I enjoy the sound of the records I have made on Good Equipment quite a lot more than the old stuff I recorded on cassette tapes in the early and mid 90s, material notwithstanding.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2009, 11:28 AM   #10
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
take inspiration from what I hear trying not to mimic

"Casually see but don't do like the soul,
'cuz seeing and doing are actions for monkeys."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSnJ5uoyptY
Old 02.01.2009, 12:04 PM   #11
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
it depends on the stuff you do.
If you do lofi stuff don't hire Butch Vig, that's my piece of advice for today.
Old 02.01.2009, 12:09 PM   #12
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Hahah! Or Nigel Godrich. Fuck..
Old 02.01.2009, 12:13 PM   #13
Derek
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Personally, it's very important. But production doesn't have to mean spending oodles on fancy mics. Just what's appropriate for the songs. Your sort of stuff needs quite a dense production, I'd say. It's really difficult to know what you personally want though. The second track on your myspace is, to my ears, murkily recorded and convoluted - is that stereo-panning or bad recording? Is that self-induced peaking or accidentals? - but that might be precisely the sound you're going for. By contrast, you've used similar production for the track you've uploaded, and that sounds fine to me - however, I could gaurantee a lot of my metaller mates would be put off by that production (consciously or unconsciously - I think production works that way).
Thank you. Just the sort of reply I was looking for.
Old 02.01.2009, 12:18 PM   #14
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Is 'Baudelaire Blushing' supposed to sound like a mellowed-out 'Go-Go Gadget Gospel' by Gnarls Barkley? It's soothing but funky.
Old 02.01.2009, 12:22 PM   #15
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
How important is production to you?

Production is very important to your music. The production is cataclysmic
in your final product. The word production also is suffering from scutiny right now..(its under review)

Two things I learned from going in a studio. #1 You have to be twice as hardcore to sound half as hardcore if thats makes sense. I always thought
some bands sound lame. But it is difficult emotionally to sound heavy or loud. I have no idea how SY recorded a track like Brother James...

Second, the mix is so crucial and you might want to get another person to mix as opposed to recording. Mixing is where the magic happens. It is the playing of each track off of each other to make something happen.

Third, know what you want to do in the studio or in someones recording shop. Don't go in with half-formed ideas unless you have someone footing your bill. Since there are so many guys recording pay for them to do the recording and you focus on your material...

Derek, Don't buy things like a noise gate or even rent a bass if possible. I know you can do that here and it makes a world of difference..

Sadly, big coin buys big toys and this is really evident in recording...
Old 02.01.2009, 12:24 PM   #16
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Danny Himself,

I checked out your myspace and most of us know where Liverpool is...

Thanks..
Old 02.01.2009, 12:29 PM   #17
Derek
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Is 'Baudelaire Blushing' supposed to sound like a mellowed-out 'Go-Go Gadget Gospel' by Gnarls Barkley? It's soothing but funky.
I've... never heard that song ever!
Old 02.01.2009, 12:30 PM   #18
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Oh! Haha well that does happen, doesn't it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHswuHiceWA
Old 02.01.2009, 01:34 PM   #19
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Production isn't important for everything, because a good song will stick out more than good production any day. But good production helps.. you will become a good producer once you've experimented enough within the limitations (?) of your setup. It took me years to be able to say, "I'm a pretty good producer." But I am just using a computer microphone, you know?

Generally, and this seems obvious but.. just experiment with what sounds good to you. That's all that matters. Adobe Audition, Cakewalk, etc. can do wonders. Or horrors.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2009, 01:48 PM   #20
sarramkrop

If the songs are shit you can be a good producer all you like. End of story.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth