Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page World Music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.12.2006, 09:58 AM   #81
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.badongo.net/file/1534209

I was going to up these for the 'war' thread, but I forgot. Seems a good opportunity to do so now. Two Laibach songs off Nato - live occupied Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2006, 10:14 AM   #82
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
http://www.badongo.net/file/1534209

I was going to up these for the 'war' thread, but I forgot. Seems a good opportunity to do so now. Two Laibach songs off Nato - live occupied Europe.

Nice, thank you glice!
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2006, 02:09 PM   #83
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Well, thats different for this thread.

I'm sort of bored with Laibach, but those are nice Glice. Nice, Glice.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2006, 06:07 PM   #84
blue sunlover
stalker

blue sunlover is just really niceblue sunlover is just really niceblue sunlover is just really niceblue sunlover is just really niceblue sunlover is just really nice
eat it.
Old 10.12.2006, 08:05 PM   #85
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Here is an incredile resource for sounds from everywhere, thanks to the worlds greatest shortwave station.

http://www.cbc.ca/globalvillage/#
Old 11.03.2006, 07:02 PM   #86
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Which should I upload?

Middle Eastern or Brazilian??
Old 11.03.2006, 07:05 PM   #87
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
Which should I upload?

Middle Eastern or Brazilian??

I was gonna do some Munir Bashir if there hasn't been any already, so I should go Brazilian (as it were).

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 11.03.2006, 07:07 PM   #88
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

You stole my dilemma.

I'll do the Brazilian, and you go with Bashir.
Old 11.03.2006, 07:16 PM   #89
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
You stole my dilemma.

I'll do the Brazilian, and you go with Bashir.

Done and done. I've had a few dodgy Arabic tapes in the past, and Munir Bashir appears on a few. Sadly, I can't transfer a lot of them. Also sadly, my travelling friend are currently crap at sending me market tapes and keep sending me appaling 'world music' CDs, which are shit. Although I'll try and up Benidrums if I remember at some point (percussion from Ibiza, I believe).

Anyway, from my hard drive - http://www.badongo.com/file/1653862

Quote:
Old 11.03.2006, 07:21 PM   #90
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Quote:
Done and done. I've had a few dodgy Arabic tapes in the past, and Munir Bashir appears on a few. Sadly, I can't transfer a lot of them. Also sadly, my travelling friend are currently crap at sending me market tapes and keep sending me appaling 'world music' CDs, which are shit. Although I'll try and up Benidrums if I remember at some point (percussion from Ibiza, I believe).

Anyway, from my hard drive - http://www.badongo.com/file/1653862

I see you have a traveling friend too, lucky to have one. A guy I work with does extensive traveling throughout Africa and has given me some oddities, but a lot of them are on tape too, I also have no way of converting them either.
Old 11.03.2006, 07:25 PM   #91
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Alright, nothing overy spectacular about this one, but its nice. And its making me feel a bit better.

Trio Mocoto - Vai Levando
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=2CB8BC1D4BB08360

Now, there is always more where that came from!
Old 11.03.2006, 07:30 PM   #92
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

By the way, this Bashir track is super! Much better than what I've uploaded.

Why oh why do I not own some of this?
Old 11.03.2006, 07:30 PM   #93
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
I see you have a traveling friend too, lucky to have one. A guy I work with does extensive traveling throughout Africa and has given me some oddities, but a lot of them are on tape too, I also have no way of converting them either.

Yeah... a few years ago, when me and my mates all left college, periodically a few of them would do the travelling thing before Uni. Being cheap bastards, they'd pick up a handful of whichever tapes looked interesting and bring them back for me. Some of them were brilliant. One in particular, this Arabic lady singing acapella... incredible. No idea who she is, because the writing's all in Arabic (obviously). Also, I used to live with a Chinese lady. Her parents sent her a few tapes to 'remind her of home'. She, being a lot cooler than me, thought it was complete bollocks, so I ended up with a few utterly brilliant Chinese court music (probably the equivalent of Vivaldi or somesuch) tapes. These days though, my travelling friends are all a bit more sensible, or going to Australia, so they bring back either touristy dross or utter cack. Often both at once. Personally, I have absolutely no interest in travelling, except I would love to be an Alan Lomax type figure and spend 6 months in those areas of West Africa that don't even have tape recorders. There was a show on the radio earlier this year of Mauretanian [?] music. It was incredible, but there's no way of getting the recordings, because there aren't any. Someone, somewhere has a load of Kenyan Soukous, and I want it. I want all of it.

Quote:
Old 11.03.2006, 07:32 PM   #94
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
By the way, this Bashir track is super! Much better than what I've uploaded.

Why oh why do I not own some of this?

He's probably the easiest Oud player to get hold of as well. Iraqi fella. Unless perhaps Americans don't import Iraqi music, but I find that unlikely.

Quote:
Old 11.03.2006, 07:39 PM   #95
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Crazy! The friend I speak of is Maurtanian (I believe this what you meant). Though he has played/given me some less than impressive r&b and funk from Mauritania for me, I have a CD of some this that I'm totally going to upload. I've just read e-mail from him, he is in Egypt at the present time.

I work in the hospitals Department of Epidemiology, so we often have visitors from Africa (most obviously) bringing their cultural strangeness to Nebraska.

You strike me as the type who would enjoy traveling to remote parts of the world.
Old 11.03.2006, 08:15 PM   #96
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Crazy! The friend I speak of is Maurtanian (I believe this what you meant). Though he has played/given me some less than impressive r&b and funk from Mauritania for me, I have a CD of some this that I'm totally going to upload. I've just read e-mail from him, he is in Egypt at the present time.

I work in the hospitals Department of Epidemiology, so we often have visitors from Africa (most obviously) bringing their cultural strangeness to Nebraska.

You strike me as the type who would enjoy traveling to remote parts of the world.
Glice?

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2006, 08:30 AM   #97
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Glice?

Myesss?

Quote:

I'm not interested in travelling per se... I'm essentially a miserable bastard who likes to stay indoors or drink. I do like the idea of going out to Tuva or the aforementioned Mauritania, but I don't enjoy sightseeing. In Russia it was quite nice to see red sqaure and St Peter's Palace and things like that, but essentially I could've bought a postcard and spent most of my time in a bar with Screwdrivers, whores and balalaika music. I'm hopefully going to either Bosnia or Afghanistan next year though... which is arguably quite a stupid thing to do, but hey! Such is life.

Mauritania, yesterday.

Quote:
Old 11.04.2006, 12:52 PM   #98
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
here is something from ireland...
irish folk/traditional supergroup formed from the ashes of the legendary planxty.........

MOVING HEARTS-
"THE STORM"
1986 son records
http://www.badongo.net/file/1381181

not a huge fan of irish trad music but i thought id add to this real interesting thread....
Old 11.04.2006, 04:56 PM   #99
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Quote:
Myesss?

I'm hopefully going to either Bosnia or Afghanistan next year though... which is arguably quite a stupid thing to do, but hey! Such is life.

Mauritania, yesterday.

I think going to Afghanistan would be extremely fascinating, however there is no amount of money you could pay me to go there at the current time. I've been listening to an Afghan talk about his country's lost culture due to years of war on Radio Canada International, quite depressing.

The once mighty Kabul River:

Old 11.04.2006, 07:18 PM   #100
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
here is something which is applicable to this thread. ive no info on when or where this was recorded but it is stunningly good....

KODO DRUMMERS OF JAPAN LIVE
http://www.badongo.com/file/1659491

-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth