Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The MC5 and Primal Scream to perform together in London.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.19.2008, 12:09 PM   #41
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
"jack white dresses like fucking zorro on donuts"

best noel gallagher quote ever
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 03:01 PM   #42
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
"jack white dresses like fucking zorro on donuts"

best noel gallagher quote ever

Hahaha...agreed!
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 03:36 PM   #43
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
The review of Primal Scream's (incidentally, even their name is steeped in troglodyte apprehensions about 60s 'counter-culture') last album in the Wire pointed out that, while they've never been at the cutting edge of pop, they're always a good yardstick of the current alt-guitar zeitgeist. They are, in fact, Madonna for white boys.

Although I think it's just about possible to overstate the crapness of the Scream, I think it's a little OTT to think of them in this kind of zeitgeistian manner. Screamedelica did, to be fair, pick up on emerging currents (albeit in a far less interesting fashion than, say, the Happy Mondays). But what of the dreadful follow up? Or Riot City Blues? These hardly seemed to resonate with any general alt-guitar trajectory that I recall. If anything, they're the archetypical catch up kids - enlisting the likes of Mani and Kevin Shields when, in footballing terms, they were firmly residing on indie rock's equiv. of the free transfer list. With the exception of recruiting Andy Weatherall for Screamedelica, as well as a couple of Can references on albums like Xterminator, they've never shown any real interest in what's going on at the cutting edge of anything (as if Can could ever possibly be considered cutting edge so long after the event anyway). Their failure is that they seem to judge all music against an approved list of 'greats', culled primarily from the years 1968-1973. As such, whole areas of interest are completely missing from their work. They supposedly embrace dance culture, but when we look at that claim, what we find is that actually this is just an excuse for them to plow the usual Coltrane-Sly Stone-Krautrock-Parliament axis, with seemingly no regard for genuinely groundbreaking later developments in the field, provided by the likes of Detroit and European Techno, Hardcore, Jungle/Drum and Bass, Happy Hardcore, Garage, Grime, Trance, et al.

Madonna has always struck me as being somewhat omnivorous in her quest for the 'new', leading to some absolute duds, but equally some utterly vital music that a band like the Scream, with their overly defined sense of 'correctness', could never possibly hope to reach.

The fact that any self-respecting band in the year 2008 can still cite Arthur bloody Lee as a main point of reference says everything about their ever decreasing cultural validity. And until they feel able to throw their Lester Bangs paperbacks into the bin and sign someone like Dougal, Dillinja, Ferry Corsten or Wiley to man the decks, they'll continue to be so.
Old 05.19.2008, 04:01 PM   #44
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
let it be known that i want to marry him because he's got a fucking great band and he's a sezzzzy beast. i don't give a shit how much of an ass he is.
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 04:42 PM   #45
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Although I think it's just about possible to overstate the crapness of the Scream, I think it's a little OTT to think of them in this kind of zeitgeistian manner. Screamedelica did, to be fair, pick up on emerging currents (albeit in a far less interesting fashion than, say, the Happy Mondays). But what of the dreadful follow up? Or Riot City Blues? These hardly seemed to resonate with any general alt-guitar trajectory that I recall. If anything, they're the archetypical catch up kids - enlisting the likes of Mani and Kevin Shields when, in footballing terms, they were firmly residing on indie rock's equiv. of the free transfer list. With the exception of recruiting Andy Weatherall for Screamedelica, as well as a couple of Can references on albums like Xterminator, they've never shown any real interest in what's going on at the cutting edge of anything (as if Can could ever possibly be considered cutting edge so long after the event anyway). Their failure is that they seem to judge all music against an approved list of 'greats', culled primarily from the years 1968-1973. As such, whole areas of interest are completely missing from their work. They supposedly embrace dance culture, but when we look at that claim, what we find is that actually this is just an excuse for them to plow the usual Coltrane-Sly Stone-Krautrock-Parliament axis, with seemingly no regard for genuinely groundbreaking later developments in the field, provided by the likes of Detroit and European Techno, Hardcore, Jungle/Drum and Bass, Happy Hardcore, Garage, Grime, Trance, et al.

Madonna has always struck me as being somewhat omnivorous in her quest for the 'new', leading to some absolute duds, but equally some utterly vital music that a band like the Scream, with their overly defined sense of 'correctness', could never possibly hope to reach.

The fact that any self-respecting band in the year 2008 can still cite Arthur bloody Lee as a main point of reference says everything about their ever decreasing cultural validity. And until they feel able to throw their Lester Bangs paperbacks into the bin and sign someone like Dougal, Dillinja, Ferry Corsten or Wiley to man the decks, they'll continue to be so.

I love you let's get married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 05:01 PM   #46
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I love you let's get married.

So long as you promise to wear white, and there's no marzipan on the cake.
Old 05.19.2008, 05:10 PM   #47
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
let it be known that i want to marry him because he's got a fucking great band and he's a sezzzzy beast. i don't give a shit how much of an ass he is.

Have 'im! I've got Glice, and he has a far larger member. So there!
AND we'll have the better music for walking up the aisle to, biatch:http://youtube.com/watch?v=xVhVhjTgJAY
Old 05.19.2008, 06:57 PM   #48
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
If dr666 and Glice are getting married, can me and sarramkrop be the DJ's at the reception? PS. Killer choon there - white gloves and glow-sticks ahoy.
Old 05.19.2008, 07:29 PM   #49
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Naah, we're getting Gillespie in to spin some Badfinger. None a that poof shit for us!
Old 05.19.2008, 07:31 PM   #50
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Naah, we're getting Gillespie in to spin some Badfinger. None a that poof shit for us!

You call a fiyah of de bluefoot battybwoys den? (Translation: So are you wearing the trousers, or is it Glice?)
Old 05.19.2008, 07:34 PM   #51
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
You call a fiyah of de bluefoot battybwoys den? (Translation: So are you wearing the trousers, or is it Glice?)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xMhWd7mf0M
Old 05.19.2008, 07:39 PM   #52
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

That's more like it, good manly heterosexual music. Neil Tennant seems to be rocking a Steve Albini look in that video.
Old 05.19.2008, 07:40 PM   #53
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
That's more like it, good manly heterosexual music. Neil Tennant seems to be rocking a Steve Albini look in that video.

True enough, but I cleverly/annoyingly edited the song selection. Try it again battyman
Old 05.19.2008, 07:43 PM   #54
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

Arrrggghhhhhhh!
Old 05.19.2008, 07:51 PM   #55
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Any road, back on topic:

The Primals at their best (just to prove I'm not TOTALLY anti):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aB6gH_vqs4w

And at their worst (just so we don't get carried away):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fvzI9AqeIog

And at the end of the day, Gillespie's tartan army could only watch and shit itself in response to the best version of the best song by the best rock band of the last twenty years:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7fWYtIdJD7M
Old 05.19.2008, 11:33 PM   #56
Ciccone Warhol Monroe
little trouble girl

Ciccone Warhol Monroe kicks all y'all's assesCiccone Warhol Monroe kicks all y'all's assesCiccone Warhol Monroe kicks all y'all's assesCiccone Warhol Monroe kicks all y'all's assesCiccone Warhol Monroe kicks all y'all's assesCiccone Warhol Monroe kicks all y'all's assesCiccone Warhol Monroe kicks all y'all's assesCiccone Warhol Monroe kicks all y'all's assesCiccone Warhol Monroe kicks all y'all's assesCiccone Warhol Monroe kicks all y'all's assesCiccone Warhol Monroe kicks all y'all's asses
what no good bands left?
Ciccone Warhol Monroe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 03:23 AM   #57
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
the best rock band of the last twenty years

seriously?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 03:42 AM   #58
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
seriously?

Well, probably not. Although for about six months at the end of the 80s they might have been. Or at least it felt like that to me at the time.
Old 05.20.2008, 04:01 AM   #59
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
if someone put a gun to my head and asked me to name the greatest rock band of the last twenty years i think this band would the band whose name would pop out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqwtXeI1AFo

although i don't necessarily agree with myself, i don't really disagree either.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 11:58 AM   #60
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I insist upon Start the Riot for the first dance. Otherwise, I'm pretty easy (although the moratorium on kweeyars y'cavven de wi'yout).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth