Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page I'm selling my movie collection.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.17.2010, 10:34 PM   #21
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to atsonicpark again.

it's true though... "who has the time?" I don't know. I mean, ok movies are definitely your thing, so you explore more than most of us. BUt like this past year I've been so into videogames, I feel like I've lost the exploration of new music that I used to have. This year I've really only listenend to stuff that I already liked and trust. Same with movies really. I'm less exploratory. But time is a factor.
Old 07.17.2010, 10:47 PM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
It's odd, I've just always naturally gravitated towards things that are interesting... things just grab me. But I went without listening to music for a good 6 months there at the beginning of this year, aside from d'n'b. I'm still pretty much just listening to techno and shit. Movies are just my life, period, I try to watch 2 or 3 a day, it's like breathing. I think it's because I'm an only child, so I've always had to entertain myself, or look elsewhere for entertainment and inspiration. Probably also has to do with my parents never helping me, or supporting me, in any way, and just generally having a really rough life, so I think I like to escape in the ... movie ... world.

On the other end, I used to be a HARDCORE gamer, I've played all the classics, have no interest in the new next-gen systems, so I'm just playing puzzle games now.

I think that's life, though.. I just kinda get really into something. Then, I'm not. I think everyone's like that.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 12:25 AM   #23
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to atsonicpark again.

it's true though... "who has the time?" I don't know. I mean, ok movies are definitely your thing, so you explore more than most of us. BUt like this past year I've been so into videogames, I feel like I've lost the exploration of new music that I used to have. This year I've really only listenend to stuff that I already liked and trust. Same with movies really. I'm less exploratory. But time is a factor.

I feel this. When I first started downloading music I was amazed. I could get everything! But now, who would have thought, I miss buying albums and sitting to listen to them holding the artwork. On one hand, our routines have changed: I feel people work a lot more now than they did ten years ago - it's required. If you're not working, you gotta be studying, etc. And then there's EVERYTHING for you to hear and see, at first you think that's great but then there's so much shit and you end up wasting your time, you don't know what to explore, or even what to trust anymore. So you'll wait until someone you trust tells you what's good, but you're missing out on a lot of things because nobody has the time/money to promote themselves anymore and everything is so fucking hard to find, it'll take up so much of your time. This gotta be solved at some point, I don't know how.

As much as I don't like arty discussions for the sake of it (oh yeah the woman is fucking a goat to classical music it must be an art movie), it's also ridiculous that people can't discuss art, films and music without being labelled something.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 12:31 AM   #24
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
Blade Runner: The Final Cut Two-Disc Edition.
Children Of Men Two-Disc Special Edition.

Rome The Complete First Season.
Rome The Complete Second Season.
Only things I would want to buy from the list.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 12:35 AM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Personally, I give away all my music and movies for free. I think art should be free. I've seen bands have "donation based" downloads (way before IN RAINBOWS), and I've gladly downloaded and paypaled the band some cash. I think that rules.

On the other hand... My favorite cd's I've bought were things like Refused's "Shape of Punk To Come" cd and Criterion DVD's, since those cd's/dvd's have little books with tons to look at/read, and lots of art and pictures and stuff. I think more people would buy cd's if they had little things you could re-read attached to 'em. I dunno.

Oh, um.

So, movies, yea.

Old 07.18.2010, 12:37 AM   #26
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Er, oh, I think the best experimental movies are the ones that pay attention to mainstream conventions; form, structure, etc. perhaps... or developing characters and so on.

On the other hand, I think the best so-called "mainstream" films are the ones that have a bit of an experimental edge, some avant garde parts, or just generally go against convention. You know that scene in the Dark Knight where the joker sticks his head out the window of a moving car for 20 seconds and the music cuts out and it gets completely silent? That is one of the best shots ever, in any movie, and yet it doesn't really make sense at all, and seems like something you'd see in a Godard film or something (the way it was shot and the silence and so on).

My favorite filmmakers tend to be the ones who can balance the artsiness/experimentation/conventional storytelling quite well.. Godard, Fassbinder, Kitano, Jost..

Old 07.18.2010, 05:27 AM   #27
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
judging by your collection entertain a simpleton.

That's the problem right there with avant-garde fanboys. If it isn't painfully dull and pretentious as fuck, it's not worth watching.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 05:30 AM   #28
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
So why do you post on a SY site? I mean, they're hardly Squeeze, are they?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 05:33 AM   #29
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
So why do you post on a SY site? I mean, they're hardly Squeeze, are they?

You're equating Sonic Youth with a Jean-Luc Godard movie? What a twat.
Old 07.18.2010, 05:35 AM   #30
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I dunno why KIS wastes his time even posting here... he's against everything people like on this forum, no one likes him and he doesn't bother to actually contribute anything... honestly why bother?
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 05:38 AM   #31
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
I dunno why KIS wastes his time even posting here... he's against everything people like on this forum, no one likes him and he doesn't bother to actually contribute anything... honestly why bother?

Have you always been as self-deluded as this?
Old 07.18.2010, 05:39 AM   #32
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
That's the problem right there with avant-garde fanboys. If it isn't painfully dull and pretentious as fuck, it's not worth watching.

How can a movie be "pretentious as fuck"? I know you probably misuse the word pretentious like most people on the internet do, but how can a movie, a movie itself, be pretentious? I'm curious. Please explain that to me.

And, honestly, most so-called avant-garde films are made by seat-of-your-pants types who make films for the love of making films, knowing they probably won't gain any profit whatsoever from it. That's the opposite of pretentious.. knowing a film probably won't be seen, losing money from it, probably taking a huge loss, and spending tons of time on something that probably won't get any recognition hardly seems "pretentious".

...On the other hand, I'd consider millionaire hack Matthew Barney a pretentious person, certainly, though. That's all I can think of at the moment. Read an interview or watch a video with him for the definition of pretention.

Old 07.18.2010, 05:44 AM   #33
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
How can a movie be "pretentious as fuck"? I know you probably misuse the word pretentious like most people on the internet do, but how can a movie, a movie itself, be pretentious? I'm curious. Please explain that to me.

And, honestly, most so-called avant-garde films are made by seat-of-your-pants types who make films for the love of making films, knowing they probably won't gain any profit whatsoever from it. That's the opposite of pretentious.. knowing a film probably won't be seen, losing money from it, probably taking a huge loss, and spending tons of time on something that probably won't get any recognition hardly seems "pretentious".

...On the other hand, I'd consider millionaire hack Matthew Barney a pretentious person, certainly, though. That's all I can think of at the moment. Read an interview or watch a video with him for the definition of pretention.

So if one was to believe your fucking bullshit, all the people involved in the movies in my collection don't make films for the love of making films? You're as much of a twat as demonrail666.
Old 07.18.2010, 06:56 AM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Nah, didn't say that. You know I didn't say that, nor imply it. But thanks!

Ah... High-class trolls!

Old 07.18.2010, 07:00 AM   #35
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
This.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 07:03 AM   #36
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Why bother?

Because he likes to bother... us.

Old 07.18.2010, 07:11 AM   #37
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
i don't mind kis. He's regular enough so that if i just feel like engaging with him for the hell of it, to kill some time, i can. And if I just want to ignore him, I can do that too. It's not like he's set up camp in my back garden or anything.
Old 07.18.2010, 07:16 AM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Well, that's true. I mean, there's no way on earth anyone is that stupid, it's obviously him just fucking with people. I've always kinda thought he was someone else's troll alter ego...

Old 07.18.2010, 07:24 AM   #39
demonrail666
invito al cielo

He probably is an alter ego. I dunno. He's entertaining sometimes. God knows what motivates him but then God knows what motivates half of us to come back here day after day.
Old 07.18.2010, 07:25 AM   #40
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
It's not so much what he does on the internet that I care for. It's just that about 4/5 of his posts are negative about any band/book/film etc that he seems to perceive as being ''difficult'' more than perhaps they really are. He seems to be very fond of britpop type stuff, and that's alright, we've had threads about those bands on here before. To resort to the same insults like a broken record because he thinks that everyone is a pretentious avantard must be tiring for himself more than it is for anyone else, though. Anyway, good luck to him if he's getting any enjoyment out of that.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth