Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped cover art
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.06.2006, 11:10 PM   #61
duderanchnurse
bad moon rising

duderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's asses
ok
i can reveal it now....
.... i did the other one
duderanchnurse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 11:43 PM   #62
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by duderanchnurse
ok
i can reveal it now....
.... i did the other one

the toilet one?
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 03:22 AM   #63
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky
i don't think any of sy's covers have appeared to have taken hours and hours of prep and work. in fact this one may actually have been one that took longer than most since it appears to be a real canvas or board.
anyway, choose your complaints wisely. when have sonic youth set some kind of standard for meticulous cover art?
murray street is a photo with writing on it. evol is a photo with writing on it. bad moon rising is a photo with writing on it. 1000 leaves is a photo with writing on it. goo is comissioned artwork, nurse is comissioned artwork. washing machine is a picture of two people wearing sonic youth t-shirts fer god's sake

they're all memorable, different, and often pretty subtle or basic. so i just don't buy the sentiment that this is somehow subpar.

it's not about hours and hours of prep or some sort of technical expertise... the thing about ATL or Washing Machine is that they were really simple but really ingenius... very vivid images... timeless... this new cover looks slightly cliche
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 03:42 AM   #64
strictlycommercial
bad moon rising

strictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's asses
Now that's what I was expecting.
Looks good, could be a promo cover but if not I ain't too displeased.
To be honest the other one looked far more rushed, the way the photo was distorted to fit it into the space & hence it looking like a toilet & all, looked like a seriously amaturish rush job.
This doesn't, this looks good, very good.

Of course the cover is important, album art is part of the whole conceptual package & I always find it affects my perception of the music inside. It isn't all about the sounds, it's about how you interpret them when you hear them & the album art has an impact on that.
strictlycommercial is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 03:43 AM   #65
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I quite like the cover. It's not breathtaking, but it's different than the arty style as on last LPs.
sometimes it's time for a change.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 03:45 AM   #66
strictlycommercial
bad moon rising

strictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's asses
Actually, checking out the Universal discography page, it sits really nicely with the other albums.
I'm pleased anyway.
strictlycommercial is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 12:20 PM   #67
Feelyat
little trouble girl

Feelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
Well, they should have. I think there's a pretty good case to be made for the irrelevance of what the cover looks like.

You should start a thread about the irrelevance of cover art in one of the Non-Sonics forums. (Did you? I haven't checked.) I'd be more than happy to discuss this sort of thing. Because on the one hand, in the digital/iTunes/iPod/download age, covers and liner notes are fast becoming a thing of the past. But then on the other hand, there have been some really monumentally cultural defining record covers in the last fifty years. You know what I mean? Like it or not, the cover to Sgt. Pepper's defines the hell out of that record. You might not even agree with me, but either way you slice it, that record cover was something of a statement. The same can also be said of the cover of Nevermind, whether intentional or not.

Anyway, I do think it's worth discussing. And when I say "discuss" I mean "discuss," not "argue petty semantics."

In regards to this Rather Ripped cover -- I still don't like it all that much, but maybe after I hear the music it'll make more sense. Maybe it is a statement of sorts. None of their record covers look like that, you know? The eye is drawn to nothing except the words "Sonic," "Youth," "Rather," and "Ripped." Then there's that bit of suggested french wallpapering surrounding the black gap and the "ER" and "ED" in the corner.

Here's a thought: is the "SONIC YOUTH" actually a manipulation of the spraypainted stenciled "SONIC YOUTH" label they put on their tour equipment?
Feelyat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 01:01 PM   #68
Soundtrax
bad moon rising

Soundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by duderanchnurse
ok
i can reveal it now....
.... i did the other one

mothafucka! haha, you fooled us so much, and no insider (habib maybe) told us the cover wasnt real
Old 04.07.2006, 03:17 PM   #69
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads

It reminds me of this:

They've got the same color scheme and both are records by artists who have put out somewhat interesting covers in the past, but their latest is just a diy painty type thing with band name followed by album title. Actually I think that's why post people probably don't like the new cover. It seems to me like Sonic Youth have never made their name the full focus of a major record cover. Like their other records all have imagery that could suck someone into buying it w/out knowing what sonic youth sound like. This one's just like "Oh yeah, a SONIC YOUTH RECORD! BUY IT!!! SONIC YOUTH!!!" I mean I myself don't believe this but there is a certain weirdness when a record cover is like a brand name or logo. Seems kind of out of place with what we expect from sonic youth. Then again, I think I'm getting off on some of the textures... plus imagine if the LP was silkscreened... then we'd all be stroking ourselves
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 03:33 PM   #70
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelyat
You should start a thread about the irrelevance of cover art in one of the Non-Sonics forums. (Did you? I haven't checked.) I'd be more than happy to discuss this sort of thing. Because on the one hand, in the digital/iTunes/iPod/download age, covers and liner notes are fast becoming a thing of the past. But then on the other hand, there have been some really monumentally cultural defining record covers in the last fifty years. You know what I mean? Like it or not, the cover to Sgt. Pepper's defines the hell out of that record. You might not even agree with me, but either way you slice it, that record cover was something of a statement. The same can also be said of the cover of Nevermind, whether intentional or not.

We had a HUGE discussion about this a few months ago and it all started on a thread about iPods. One of the arguments against iPods hinged on the idea that record covers were an important part of the musical experience, but some disagreed and a debate broke out. Maybe I should make a thread about iPods.....
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 10:44 PM   #71
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
I like this cover, it's to-the-point and effective. you guys should just stop being so overanalyzing.
Old 04.07.2006, 10:59 PM   #72
Laila
the end of the ugly

Laila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's asses
i hate it!!
Laila is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 01:04 AM   #73
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Interesting topic.

Someone said that they didn't think SY put very much thought into most of their album covers. I have to agree. For me, the best album covers always seem to hit right to the point, reflect what the album is about, what the theme is(if there is any). There's only a couple of covers that I like of SY: Ciccone Youth, Goo,Experimental Jetset, and Sonic Nurse. I like Ciccone Youth because it's simple and they don't advertise their name on the cover. I like Goo because of Pettibon. I like Experimental Jetset because it was simple and didn't try to convey some mixed message or something. Alot of their covers seem a bit arbitrary to what the album is.

If I knew nothing about SY and I saw this album, I would've thought they were a "political punk" band. Not really a fan of stencil military like lettering, don't really know what's going on in the picture, some of the letters look like "tape letterforms" or something. Can't say I'm a fan, but DIRTY had a stupid cover(and I respect Kelley alot) and that was a kick ass album. Washing Mashine had a bad cover too and that was a good album.

Maybe the uglier the album cover, the better the album?

I don't know if it was designed by CHABIB, but if he did that would come to no surprise. I sent CHABIB an email about his art but didn't get an email back. Has anyone seen his website? Any thoughts?
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 01:16 AM   #74
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
oh man, i thought dirty and washing machine had excellent covers... although i thought Experimental Jet Set had one of the weakest covers... same with Ciccone Youth.... Goo cover got ruined by too many grunge teens wearing the shirt...
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 01:32 AM   #75
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
I actually like this cover a lot. Sort of a cross between the art for Suicide's first album and Never mind the bollocks.
Old 04.08.2006, 04:21 AM   #76
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheGroovey
I actually like this cover a lot. Sort of a cross between the art for Suicide's first album and Never mind the bollocks.

Really? Suicide's cover has alot of space around the form, not to mention the humanistic sans serif typeface. "Never mind..."has various cut out type(I hear the designer of that cover still makes prints & posters of that cover for money). But I'm just very nit-picky I guess. If you say so, that's cool
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 10:14 PM   #77
Pedro
empty page

Pedro has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
great cover....
Pedro is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 10:20 PM   #78
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky
i don't think any of sy's covers have appeared to have taken hours and hours of prep and work. in fact this one may actually have been one that took longer than most since it appears to be a real canvas or board.
anyway, choose your complaints wisely. when have sonic youth set some kind of standard for meticulous cover art?
murray street is a photo with writing on it. evol is a photo with writing on it. bad moon rising is a photo with writing on it. 1000 leaves is a photo with writing on it. goo is comissioned artwork, nurse is comissioned artwork. washing machine is a picture of two people wearing sonic youth t-shirts fer god's sake

they're all memorable, different, and often pretty subtle or basic. so i just don't buy the sentiment that this is somehow subpar.

what is your point, that the art work didn't take any time to produce? (daydream nation's photo realist cover art contradicts that) or that SY are fairly indifferent to how the covers of the records look? (the fact that they select work by real artists, and not just whatever graphics the label suggests, i would say conflicts with that point)
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 10:29 PM   #79
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
^ Isn't that a painting?

I dislike the album cover the more I see it. For some reason I liked all the others though. Except maybe A thousand leaves and ejst&na
Old 04.09.2006, 07:06 AM   #80
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
now i don't know after reading all them replies
anywasys
would be great tshirt, hehe
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth