Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.20.2016, 01:49 AM   #2261
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Hey Louder, care to share your thoughts on this?

Kanye West - "Saint Pablo" (YouTube)

NR - you can listen too. It's free. And Apple Music isn't even including it as a TLOP track. They show the artwork of TLOP when the song plays, but they're still showing the album ending with "Fade."
"The video is not available".. but I heard the song a few weeks ago and it was just ok.

Quote:
I like the new Schoolboy Q joint, "That Part" ft. Ye. I haven't really responded to a Schoolboy song since Hahits & Contradictions, but I like this one. It's weird.
The first single "Groovy Tony" is one of my favorite songs from him ever. Honestly I'm very excited about this album. I was pretty disappointed with Oxymoron when it came out, but a couple years later I learned to appreciate it for what it was, and now I find it pretty enjoyable. But I think his new one will be way better.

Here's the cover art:

The title is "Blank Faces LP".. and he also has a track with Ghostface on it. Groovy Tony X Tony Starks. Can't wait.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2016, 08:02 AM   #2262
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
thoughts on things...

YG - the more I listen to this album, the more it feels like a letdown to me. I don't know. It's not bad or anything. But My Krazy Life was just sooooo good and well thought out as an album. This doesn't really feel like a cohesive album to me so much as it feels like some songs bundled together. Shrug.

Game - the more I listen to this one, the more I like it. I mean, it's this weird stopgap release. I didn't even know it existed until about a week before it dropped. No fanfare. No hype. Cameos by dudes I never heard of. Fantastic beat selection. Just really pleased with this.

Chili Peppers - First listen was good. I know most of you don't care about RHCP or whatever, but I'm happy w/ this album. Dangermouse producing is a cool fit. Feels like sort of a throwback to the funk-dance stuff they were doing pre-Blood Sugar in a way.

Radiohead - I finally heard this cuz it's on Spotify now. Pretty damn great. I might (MIGHT) like it more than King Of Limbs and In Rainbows. Well maybe not In Rainbows. We'll see...

Spinhead Sessions - is f'ing glorious. Unearthed instrumentals from 86? It doesn't get much better.

at this point, only half a year in, I feel I an say that 2016 has been a better year for music in my mind than 2015 was.
Old 06.20.2016, 10:12 AM   #2263
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
"The video is not available".. but I heard the song a few weeks ago and it was just ok.

Huh. It's working for me. Oh well.

Anyway, I know you heard the live track from back when it was "Closest thing to Einstein," but the studio version just came out last week. Also, I believe I remember you saying it was more like the Kanye you loved, and that you were moving on from TLOP and looking forward to Turbo Grafx because of it. Am I wrong here? Also, Turbo Grafx seems to be dead in the water.

The studio veraion's good man. It reminds me a bit of Graduation, sort of how Real Friends did at first. Looping sample, self-reflective lyrics... Except like Real Friends it's sad as all hell, so... y'know.

I still don't care much for Oxymoron. "Break the Bank" makes me want to put a bullet in my head.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2016, 10:16 AM   #2264
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Anderson .Paak says his new collaborative album with Knxwledge (the same dude who produced 'Momma' from To Pimp a Butterfly) is about to be "his best work" and "a masterpiece":

Quote:
It's my best work, yall not ready! It's a masterpiece!!!!!
https://twitter.com/AndersonPaak/sta...86383570526208
Old 06.20.2016, 10:16 AM   #2265
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
thoughts on things...

YG - the more I listen to this album, the more it feels like a letdown to me. I don't know. It's not bad or anything. But My Krazy Life was just sooooo good and well thought out as an album. This doesn't really feel like a cohesive album to me so much as it feels like some songs bundled together. Shrug.

Game - the more I listen to this one, the more I like it. I mean, it's this weird stopgap release. I didn't even know it existed until about a week before it dropped. No fanfare. No hype. Cameos by dudes I never heard of. Fantastic beat selection. Just really pleased with this.

Chili Peppers - First listen was good. I know most of you don't care about RHCP or whatever, but I'm happy w/ this album. Dangermouse producing is a cool fit. Feels like sort of a throwback to the funk-dance stuff they were doing pre-Blood Sugar in a way.

Radiohead - I finally heard this cuz it's on Spotify now. Pretty damn great. I might (MIGHT) like it more than King Of Limbs and In Rainbows. Well maybe not In Rainbows. We'll see...

Spinhead Sessions - is f'ing glorious. Unearthed instrumentals from 86? It doesn't get much better.

at this point, only half a year in, I feel I an say that 2016 has been a better year for music in my mind than 2015 was.

Fuck the haters man. How could any '90s kid have no positive RHCP memories? I respect your absolute refusal to give a shit about what others think.

I've never been big on the band, and I will probably never listen to this album, but who cares? I have great memories of BSSM and One Hot Minute.
Old 06.20.2016, 10:18 AM   #2266
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Also, I believe I remember you saying it was more like the Kanye you loved, and that you were moving on from TLOP and looking forward to Turbo Grafx because of it. Am I wrong here? Also, Turbo Grafx seems to be dead in the water.
Yeah, that was my impression when I heard a rough live recording. But then the actual studio version leaked, and it was (like I said) just okay. I'm not surprised if Turbo Grafx isn't coming anytime soon.
Old 06.20.2016, 10:36 AM   #2267
louder
invito al cielo

New Dinosaur Jr single/video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwa3DO5_irM

The album drops August 5th.
Old 06.20.2016, 10:49 AM   #2268
Severian
invito al cielo

Swans getting no love anywhere this time around. What the hell? Album's been out for three days and there still aren't enough iTunes reviews for the site to post an average. That's a major deflation from last time around. Also, Pitchfork hasn't posted a word about the new album.

Did the accusations kill Swans?
Old 06.20.2016, 10:50 AM   #2269
Severian
invito al cielo

Someone needs to tell Schoolboy Q "NO MORE MASKS."
That cover makes him look like Christian Bale in American Psycho.

Show that beautiful black face, dawg.

Oh, Blank Faces. I get it?
Old 06.20.2016, 10:52 AM   #2270
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
damn this Game track is a banger. That beat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrkQyPrQQ10

Yeah, love this one.
Old 06.20.2016, 10:53 AM   #2271
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I just can't seem to enjoy Q enough for an album.

BTW, my favorite "90s band album" this year is the new Weezer. Great stuff. But I mean I liked fucking Raditude, so you can't really go by me.

Paak is killing it this year tho. Malibu still gets a ton of play from me. Easily one of my favs of the year.
Old 06.20.2016, 11:01 AM   #2272
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Someone needs to tell Schoolboy Q "NO MORE MASKS."
That cover makes him look like Christian Bale in American Psycho.

Show that beautiful black face, dawg.

Oh, Blank Faces. I get it?
Seems horror themed.. it's probably gonna be a concept album.
Old 06.20.2016, 11:04 AM   #2273
louder
invito al cielo

Q grew up in Hoover Street and used to be a crip.

The two black holes seem to make the album cover look like a puzzle piece which creates the letter 'H':

The color scheme fits also.
Old 06.20.2016, 11:05 AM   #2274
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Swans getting no love anywhere this time around. What the hell? Album's been out for three days and there still aren't enough iTunes reviews for the site to post an average. That's a major deflation from last time around. Also, Pitchfork hasn't posted a word about the new album.

Did the accusations kill Swans?
Wow, possibly.. what are your thoughts on the album anyway?
Old 06.20.2016, 12:31 PM   #2275
louder
invito al cielo

I really liked Farm and Beyond. So I'm definitely anticipating the new Dino Jr album.
Old 06.20.2016, 05:59 PM   #2276
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Wow, possibly.. what are your thoughts on the album anyway?

I think it's great. But I'm weird. I didn't really like To Be Kind so much. Or, rather, didn't like it anywhere near as much as The Seer or My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky.

So far, it seems like it has a lot more in common with The Seer musically. And most people (and websites) seemed to think TBK was a step forward from Seer, but not I. TBK was somewhat colorless. I view music in terms of color a lot, I'm realizing. While the Seer had all these different hues of blue and purple flecked with sparkling silvers and bright whites, TBK was all orange and red. Comparing the two is like comparing a Hubble telescope image to a set from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

This new one has a lot more to it in terms of hues and moods. I still haven't heard the whole thing, but so far so good — as I've said in other threads.

I just think it's really bizarre that Pitchfork STILL hasn't reviewed it, or even mentioned it since its release. I mean, didn't TBK debut in the top 20 or something? It seems crazy, since Swans have been consistently growing in popularity since their "re-launch" in 2010, but the drop off in coverage is Fucking staggering. Especially since this is the "last" Swans album (or last album by this version of Swans, whatever the fuck that means). Yet the rape talk has really died down, so... I just don't know what to think.
Old 06.20.2016, 06:00 PM   #2277
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I really liked Farm and Beyond. So I'm definitely anticipating the new Dino Jr album.

I liked those albums too, but I though I Bet on Sky was crap. Beyond was good, Farm was fair to good with a couple great Fucking tracks, and IBOS was about as exciting as Centipede HZ (read: not).
Old 06.20.2016, 06:03 PM   #2278
Severian
invito al cielo

As for album of the year check-ins, I'm still all like:

BOOM!
#1 TLOP, no motherfucking question, everything else is bullshit by comparison
2. Boom! Coloring Book. Yep.
3. Kaytranada

With Beyoncé, Underworld, Moderat, Pantha Du Prince. Blah blah.
Old 06.21.2016, 07:00 AM   #2279
noisereductions
invito al cielo

pfork reviewed that Swans album today.

I'm actually surprised they haven't reviewed Spinhead yet.
Old 06.21.2016, 10:21 AM   #2280
Severian
invito al cielo

Guys... guys...

I just bought two tickets to see Kanye West!!!

I won't say how much they were. Makes me feel like a goddamn idiot if I think on it too hard. But I have a rule about these things. See your favorite artists when you can, if you can, or you'll regret it.

Fuck though. NOT cheap. Jesus.

Still pumped though. Wish it wasn't two months away.
64104111112113 114 115116117124164 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth