Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page post comething completely irrelevant!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.28.2015, 03:34 PM   #39561
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
corporate america is very veryu fond of "title promotions" which is where you are given a new title, more duties/responsibilities, and no actual raise. They justify it by saying you got a new title, which, IN THE FUTURE, will translate to higher wages. This is the normal structure in corporate USA. Instead of looking at how much you were paid in previous position, they look at your job title, compare it to the mean average of others with same title in the same geographical area, and base what your salary/wages should be off of that. exceedingly impersonal, and intended to function as collusion, keeping the drones wages low throughout the market...

of course the people in the higher management get 25% bonuses yearly, raises yearly, stock options yearly, and can justify their incomes by firing a thousand workers, thereby "saving" the corporation some money.

It is a massive shell-game con. Enron did it, got caught for it, and no one really gave a flying fuck about the thousands of low-level drones that lost their jobs, retirement savings, etc....
Old 07.28.2015, 03:37 PM   #39562
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
My mother was let go from several jobs after we moved to US from Houston. She would be assigned duties, get them done in a few days, and be let go after being told that she was supposed to "stretch it out" so that the work would last a month.

This is standard practice in corporate america....

Well, this is true. I think I learned this lesson when I started working part-time as a college student. My first job was working in the men's department of an upscale department store. I'd get assigned the usual shit work in my shift, like folding sweaters, putting prices on things, etc., between helping customers. The manager would get tired of giving me new things to do because I'd get them done so fast. He never told me directly but I could see the exhaustion in his face as he tried to come up with more busy work for me. SO I slowed down, even left work for the next shift, and he started liking me much more.
Old 07.28.2015, 03:37 PM   #39563
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Petroleum corporations are doing it right now. Prices for crude have gone down (although still high) so to not cut he wages/bonuses of the higher ups, they lay off thousands of low-level drones. They call this a "hardship" although the only people who suffer are all replaceable and will be replaced as soon as crude oil hits $90 a barrel again.... For the people up top flying ultra-first class Dubai airlines? Nothing changes, except they maintained the bottom line "profit" for their company.
Old 07.28.2015, 03:38 PM   #39564
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
You sound a little grumpy today, Rob.
Old 07.28.2015, 03:39 PM   #39565
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Well, this is true. I think I learned this lesson when I started working part-time as a college student. My first job was working in the men's department of an upscale department store. I'd get assigned the usual shit work in my shift, like folding sweaters, putting prices on things, etc., between helping customers. The manager would get tired of giving me new things to do because I'd get them done so fast. He never told me directly but I could see the exhaustion in his face as he tried to come up with more busy work for me. SO I slowed down, even left work for the next shift, and he started liking me much more.

you became a good worker....

People always talk shit about menial laborers "wasting time" and "slacking" on construction jobs or working street repair etc., but the institutionalized slacking essentially mandated by corporate america is far more damaging...
Old 07.28.2015, 03:40 PM   #39566
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
You sound a little grumpy today, Rob.

Just cranky because I'd rather spend my life reading books, and enjoying every breath...
Old 07.28.2015, 04:07 PM   #39567
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

funny thing, i used to work for these korean grocery owners. it was always more, more, more, more, faster, faster, faster. there was never a lack of work to do.

but you know, owners watch their businesses like hawks, unlike "managers" from some anonymous remote enterprise.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2015, 04:10 PM   #39568
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
funny thing, i used to work for these korean grocery owners. it was always more, more, more, more, faster, faster, faster. there was never a lack of work to do.

but you know, owners watch their businesses like hawks, unlike "managers" from some anonymous remote enterprise.

That's the thing! Owners, people who are actually invested in the day to day workings of their business, want and love hard workers.

It is the corpos, whose entire work goal is to jump to a new company every 3 years with a bigger title and a bigger salary, and who could really give a fuck about the overall "health" of the business they are working in, that created this corporate shitstem I have been describing.

Not all US corporations work this way, but so so many do it is sad.
Old 07.28.2015, 07:41 PM   #39569
gmku
invito al cielo

Yeah, but, you work in a library, right? Or no, you used to. Still, you're in academia. You're surrounded by books, man.

Quote:

Just cranky because I'd rather spend my life reading books, and enjoying every breath...
Old 07.29.2015, 03:49 PM   #39570
gmku
invito al cielo

Rob, go to the book store. There should be one nearby. Even if you don't buy anything, it may be good therapy for you.

Old 07.30.2015, 09:20 AM   #39571
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
that's what i do before work to relax a bit... come to the library on campus and read or hit the computer (like now; no internet at home til tomorrow and my phone is annoying to be on all night) and it's super soothing.
Old 07.30.2015, 09:54 AM   #39572
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I am good. Wife went on 4th interview, met President of company. We hear in next few days if she is offered position. everything in flux
Old 07.30.2015, 10:39 AM   #39573
gmku
invito al cielo

She's in like flint.

Quote:
I am good. Wife went on 4th interview, met President of company. We hear in next few days if she is offered position. everything in flux
Old 07.30.2015, 01:26 PM   #39574
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Petroleum corporations are doing it right now. Prices for crude have gone down (although still high) so to not cut he wages/bonuses of the higher ups, they lay off thousands of low-level drones. They call this a "hardship" although the only people who suffer are all replaceable and will be replaced as soon as crude oil hits $90 a barrel again.... For the people up top flying ultra-first class Dubai airlines? Nothing changes, except they maintained the bottom line "profit" for their company.
Yeah thats why in California, itself an OPEC level producer.. has shut down several refineries "for maintenance" and artificially rose the at the pump prices by 25% IN A SINGLE WEEK

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2015, 11:58 AM   #39575
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses

EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2015, 12:04 PM   #39576
pony
the end of the ugly

pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses
this picture makes me proud to be alive
pony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2015, 07:17 PM   #39577
gmku
invito al cielo

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...9b&oe=5659B405

I love that duck.

They say he was trapped in a world he never made! Haven't we all, at one time or another, known the feeling? The Duck doesn't always keep his cool and yet somehow he's still cool.
Old 08.02.2015, 09:38 AM   #39578
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
broke my collarbone. waiting to get a date for operation.

can't work, can't do music (except for like... drone music). depression slowly creeping in.
had to cancel several "well paid" gigs. festival we're organizing is 2 weeks ahead and orga-work with one hand is a pain in the ass. every email takes me hours and a pain pill.
next time, I'll try to break a leg instead.
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.02.2015, 09:51 AM   #39579
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads

can't work, can't do music (except for like... drone music). depression slowly creeping in.
had to cancel several "well paid" gigs. festival we're organizing is 2 weeks ahead and orga-work with one hand is a pain in the ass. every email takes me hours and a pain pill.

Oh boy, this sounds bad. Get well soon!

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.02.2015, 09:52 AM   #39580
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads

oh shit! that sucks.

there are voice commands/speech recognition/dictation you could use though. not a panacea but it can help. they have them in windows/mac/ios/android...

alright, no need to answer, i know it hurts... but maybe check it out with your one good arm.

here a couple of useful links maybe to get you started

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202584

about the work & cooking... sorry can't help. maybe time to develop meals you can eat with one hand... like the primanti bros sandwich (legend says it was made for injured/disabled steel workers)

anyway, here a couple of related links. sorry i can't do more. but maybe a place to get started.

http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2008...-one-hand.html

http://www.thekitchn.com/help-what-a...estions-189410
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
1479187919291969197619771978 1979 198019811982198920292079 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth