Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page british post punk late 70s early 80s
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.22.2008, 08:26 AM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
in your opinion, what are the 10 best british post punk albums ever recorded? thats right folks, another list.

1. the pop group-ys
2. this heat-deceit
3. public image ltd-metal box
4. joy division-unknown pleasures
5. wire-154 (definitley a post punk album, pink flag and chairs missing are post punk blueprints for sure, but more punk)
6. the fall-hex enduction hour
7. the killing joke-whats this for...!
8. joy division-closer
9. siouxie and the banshees-juju
10. the fall-this nation's saving grace/gang of 4-entertainment!

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2008, 09:15 AM   #2
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Nice list, batreleaser. I'd also include The Slits' "Cut" and Throbbing Gristle's "Heathen Earth" too.
Old 07.22.2008, 09:40 AM   #3
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Post-punk in the late 70's/early 80's?
That's way to early.

The genre/label appeared later ( with Slint maybe ).
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Post-punk in the late 70's/early 80's?
That's way to early.

The genre/label appeared later ( with Slint maybe ).

How d'you work that out?

Punk in the UK was dead and buried by '78

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2008, 09:50 AM   #5
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florya
How d'you work that out?

Maybe.
But I think that none of the bands in batreleaser list ever called themselves "post-punk" , and that the term wasn't used before the mid 80's.
Old 07.22.2008, 10:01 AM   #6
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
it was used by journalists as early as '78, to describe everything from the police to p.i.l.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2008, 10:03 AM   #7
gualbert
the end of the ugly

Show it please.
Old 07.22.2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
The Psychedelic Furs - The Psychedelic Furs
Test Dept - Beating The Retreat
Throbbing Gristle - D.O.A.
Coil - Scatology
Psychic TV - Force the Hand of Chance
Bauhaus - In The Flat Field
Blancmange - Happy Families
23 Skidoo - The Culling is Coming
Nurse With Wound - Homotopy To Marie

Old 07.22.2008, 10:09 AM   #9
hansjoakim
little trouble girl

hansjoakim kicks all y'all's asseshansjoakim kicks all y'all's asseshansjoakim kicks all y'all's asseshansjoakim kicks all y'all's asseshansjoakim kicks all y'all's asseshansjoakim kicks all y'all's asseshansjoakim kicks all y'all's asseshansjoakim kicks all y'all's asseshansjoakim kicks all y'all's asseshansjoakim kicks all y'all's asseshansjoakim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florya

if UK punk was dead and buried by '78 (i sorta agree on that), then "london calling" should definitely be on the post-punk list.
hansjoakim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2008, 10:27 AM   #11
gualbert
the end of the ugly

A-hem.

"This article or section has multiple issues. Please help improve the article or discuss these issues on the talk page.
Old 07.22.2008, 10:28 AM   #12
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansjoakim
if UK punk was dead and buried by '78 (i sorta agree on that), then "london calling" should definitely be on the post-punk list.

Doesn't make it into my top 10.

Old 07.22.2008, 10:29 AM   #13
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
in your opinion, what are the 10 best british post punk albums ever recorded? thats right folks, another list.

1. the pop group-ys
2. this heat-deceit
3. public image ltd-metal box
4. joy division-unknown pleasures
5. wire-154 (definitley a post punk album, pink flag and chairs missing are post punk blueprints for sure, but more punk)
6. the fall-hex enduction hour
7. the killing joke-whats this for...!
8. joy division-closer
9. siouxie and the banshees-juju
10. the fall-this nation's saving grace

These are all fantastic albums to which I continue to listen 30 years on! I would say that the fall-this nation's saving grace wasn't really postpunk, and more appropriately #10 would be something by Membranes or Bauhaus. The Slits were an original 76 London punk band even if their sound wasn't that 1-2-3- generic sound. I think I like postpunk more than punk if I had to make a choice one way or another.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2008, 10:41 AM   #14
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
A-hem.

"This article or section has multiple issues. Please help improve the article or discuss these issues on the talk page.

i read an interview with sonic youth where they said that when they first came out they were refered to as post-punk
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2008, 10:46 AM   #16
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

1980 article from Rolling Stone, written by Greil Marcus. "It's Fab, It's Passionate, It's Wild, It's Intelligent! It's the Hot New Sound of England Today!" Article talks about Gang of Four, Raincoats, Essential Logic etc. First paragraph:

"'Don't romanticize it,' Geoff Travis said to me. Travis is the founder of Rough Trade, the U.K.'s most important and adventurous independent record company. He was talking about Britain's postpunk pop avant-garde, of which Rough Trade is a vital center - or perhaps the only center."

Old 07.22.2008, 11:04 AM   #18
gualbert
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
gualbert is think of the "post rock" label, not "post punk".

Yeah , I'm a bit mixed-up between the two ( I never use them ).
Anyway , Joy Division is sometimes labeled cold wave , new wave , gothic , bat cave , industrial rock , etc. , no need to add post punk.
They're just post-labeled.
Old 07.22.2008, 12:57 PM   #20
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i wouldnt call either coil or throbbing gristle anyything close to post punk. both are too extreme. throbbing gristle for one thing was making music befote punk even, and were industrial to the core. i can see how one might call coil post punk because it could be argued that they would not have been able to exist prior to punk, but there music sounds nothing like punk whatsoever. the only thing they share in common with even the most experimental post punk bands like the pop group and pil is being experimental. their music borders on industrial, noise, dark ambient, drone, and a buncha other extreme genres. they rule anyways.

i shoul have included gang of four-entertainment!, all put that tied at 10.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth